E3 Preview: Nintendo Land

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
From what your saying, this sounds like an actual fun game. So, I'm hoping your right, and I'm hoping Nintendo Land is a packaged-with-the-console game, because I don't plan on buying it if its an independent title.

Misterian

Elite Member
Oct 3, 2009
Country
United States
Indeed, this is very much like Nintendo as we've all known them; going out of their way to make their games fun and enjoyable.

Still, this makes me wish Nintendo would start making an actual theme park based off of their game francises, or at least a Chuck E Cheese style entertainment center.

GeneralFungi

Jul 1, 2010
Madmanonfire said:
I really hope this game has online play.
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HAVE ONLINE PLAY!
I think that would be neat, but the whole point of a game like this is to play with people around you. I'm glad this game is coming along nicely; everyone seemed to mark this game off without even giving it a chance! I could not believe people marked it off before they even learned about what the game had to offer.

I guess it's because of the whole 'casual' stigma, but still.

VinLAURiA

Dec 25, 2008
Madmanonfire said:
I really hope this game has online play.
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HAVE ONLINE PLAY!
It definitely has online capabilities, not sure about online play itself. It might in order to help show off the Wii U's online, and it might not because it seems to be designed around a local play experience.

Mcoffey said:
They're probably worried that it'll be like Wii Sports, in that most people bought the Wii and then that's the only game they played. That's a lotta retail money they missed out on.

And while it may be fun, that's not enough justification for a 200+ money sink. I can have fun on my comp, my xbox or my phone. Show me something compelling, something that isn't a port from a game that came out on actual consoles over a year ago, and then you'll have my attention.
Well, there are plenty of exclusives we know of. Mario U, Smash 4, Project P-100, ZombiU, Pikmin 3, Rayman Legends. It's also getting some multiplats that aren't out yet like AC3, Aliens, and Runner2. Likely to be the definitive versions of such as well.

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
Nintendo Land looks incredibly fun. I'm looking forward to playing it.

And God, that presentation was super awkward. I'm a super Nintendo fangirl but I don't have a lot of defense for that thing.

Hearing the words "Nintendo Land" also makes me think they need to create a theme park.

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011
They really did mess up the presentation of Nintendo Land. Declaring that you need to play the games to get them and then spending 10 minutes explaining them in detail came off idiotic at best and very insecure at worst.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
A big problem I always had with Mario Party was that the games were too small/simple and numerous. I liked it better in, say, Conker's bad fur day where there were fewer, but meatier multiplayer games. This sounds like it might be the latter too.

him over there

Dec 17, 2011
Squilookle said:
A big problem I always had with Mario Party was that the games were too small/simple and numerous. I liked it better in, say, Conker's bad fur day where there were fewer, but meatier multiplayer games. This sounds like it might be the latter too.
I think it would benefit from a little of both, not smaller games but larger games that serve an even larger game. Like if the minigames served an even bigger purpose in a larger competition like in Mario party.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
him over there said:
Squilookle said:
I think it would benefit from a little of both, not smaller games but larger games that serve an even larger game. Like if the minigames served an even bigger purpose in a larger competition like in Mario party.
Sure, there's no reason why they can't serve a larger 'overgame' like the mario party board. I just like my minigames to have just a teeny bit of depth to them, that's all.

TJC

Aug 28, 2011
Seriously, Nintendo Land needs to happen in RL. A Metroid ball pit, a Star Fox ride where you do actual barrel rolls (yeah, it might cause projectile vomitting but FUCK YEAH, BARREL ROLLS), Mario Platforming stages, Zelda archery ranges. The ideas are limitless and make me cream mah pants.

Until then, I guess we have to enjoy the WiiU game. :c

It's a pity. This will probably be a retail game and not packed into the console. I heard that Nintendo doesn't want to sell the WiiU at a loss which means there will be corner cutting like in the square-to-circle factory and while Nintendo Land might've been planned as a packaged game, Nintendo will probably change their minds to squeeze a couple more pennies out of their customers...

:C

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
The Luigi game sounds quite creepy really. I'm going to freak out when my WII remove vibrates in my hand when someone creeps up behind me...