E3 Preview: PlanetSide 2

Corven

Forever Gonzo
Sep 10, 2008
I'm really looking forward to this games release, for an alpha it looks amazing from the e3 livestream that they had with totalbiscuit.

Grunt_Man11

Mar 15, 2011
While Planetside 2 looks great, (at alpha no less), sounds great, (at alpha no less), and looks to be a lot of fun; the most I'm looking forward to is playing a MMO where I never have to worry about seeing the following red text on my screen:

Can't do that while stunned.
It will be nice to play a MMO where the PvP is NOT built around denying the other player the ability to play the game.

Here's hoping the game doesn't give my PC a stroke... or I'm able to get a beefier PC before the game is released.

Grunt_Man11

Mar 15, 2011
Clive Howlitzer said:
Looking forward to this game but very wary of the F2P model.
Well it's looking like the micro-transactions will be purely cosmetic.
They flat out said, in the live-stream with TotalBiscuit, that players will not be able to buy power.

To purchase actual upgrades, players will need in-game resources which are obtained by playing the game (getting kills, capturing points and such).

RN7

Oct 27, 2009
I was sold on this game when I saw a guy in a mech get ran over by a hovering tank, which proceeded to get blown up by some sort of flying vehicle, right before said flying vehicle crashed into a cactus, just as a team of soldiers were off-loading from a carrier ship. This is what I've wanted from a shooting game since I started playing video games.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
Grunt_Man11 said:
Clive Howlitzer said:
They flat out said, in the live-stream with TotalBiscuit, that players will not be able to buy power.

To purchase actual upgrades, players will need in-game resources which are obtained by playing the game (getting kills, capturing points and such).
I did hear one of the devs say they were going to sell boosters though, or the ability to bypass resources to get gear.
It is just a slippery slope, that's all.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
Clive Howlitzer said:
Grunt_Man11 said:
Clive Howlitzer said:

I did hear one of the devs say they were going to sell boosters though, or the ability to bypass resources to get gear.
It is just a slippery slope, that's all.
There are no upgrades though; everything is a sidegrade. You substitute one piece of utility for another. The booster lets you customise your class to your playstyle faster, rather than getting stronger faster. They're being incredibly careful about it.

knight4light

Jun 24, 2011
ah sony... the company that has a monopoly on mmofps. planetside 1. Then Dust 514 on ps3 and Planetside 2 on PC. Both F2P. =) sony seems to be getting back in the groove.

Triforceformer

Jun 16, 2009
Been watching TotalBiscuit promo this game out the ass for the past month-ish. It is the MMO of my dreams. I just wish they could add some kind of PvE aspect against the planet's wildlife. Just to throw a few curveballs into the mix.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
'One of the most exciting trends in the gaming industry right now is the way games don't fit quite as neatly into existing genres as they used to. '

Is it not slightly funny that the following examples were all true a decade ago? I mean, DX, the original Planetside, plenty of point 'n' click puzzle games, and so on. I mean I get what you're saying - it feels like we're moving away from that slog of shooters we've had to endure - but still, an 'exciting trend' at the minute seems to be getting back on track to what we were doing years ago.

Anyway, I am really looking forward to this. Never had the chance to play the original but it has some great stories from people who did play it. Likewise, they seem to be doing F2P in a way that won't bother me in the slightest.