E3: Serious Sam 3: BFE

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
E3: Serious Sam 3: BFE

Serious Sam 3 might look way better than previous games in the series, but it's still Serious Sam through and through.

Serious Sam 3: BFE is still in alpha, but publisher Devolver brought a sweet demo of the game to E3 anyway. Basically, Serious Sam 3 is an incredibly gorgeous version of the previous Serious Sam titles with new enemies, new attacks, tweaked/new weapons, and destructible environments. Story-wise, it's a prequel to the entire franchise.

Serious Sam has always looked good thanks to Croteam's underlying tech, and Serious Sam 3 is no different. I was shown both a ruined city environment and a desert, and both were as detailed as can be. This includes the game's effects, with sandstorms in the desert that blocked Sam's view of advancing enemies and reflective oases.

[gallery=315]

If enemies get in close, Sam will be far from powerless at melee range this time. The new sledge hammer not only bashes in skulls with ease, but can perform a spin attack to take out all nearby foes. If the sledge isn't handy, or you just want to get your hands dirty, Sam has new melee attacks specific to each enemy. One features Sam pulling the eyeball out of a cyclops monster, while another features him ripping off a rocket-launching ogre's face. There's lots of over-the-top killing in Serious Sam 3, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Many of the game's weapons will be familiar, such as the shotguns (of single and double barrel variety), the rocket launcher, the pistol, the chaingun, and the powerful-as-hell cannon. There are some new additions like the tweaked assault rifle and the shotgun with explosive rounds. I wasn't shown the entire weapon selection, but those that I experienced worked pretty well. It felt great to rip through hordes of enemies with the chain gun while still getting hit in the back by kamikazes I didn't think about despite their incredibly noticeable screams.

Calling Serious Sam 3 hectic is like calling a time machine neat. Enemies begin to pop up before you know it, and if you move on before killing all of them you only have more on your plate. This is what Serious Sam has always been, and it's what it still is with Serious Sam 3. The big difference is that even while behind four walls in Serious Sam 3, you're not safe. Werebulls will smash right through the bricks this time if you're in a destructible building. There won't be many places to hide from the enemy hordes. You can also smash through destructible objects with the sledge hammer, or cause the environment to crumble in the process of blowing up kamikaze soldiers.

If you don't want to go it alone, Serious Sam 3 is going to feature up to 16-player co-op through the single-player storyline. Enemies will scale depending on how many players get involved, leading to what Devolver called "total chaos" at the highest level. I don't think this is PR talk, as Serious Sam 3 already features quite a lot of enemies.

Serious Sam 3: BFE will launch on the PC as a digital download, and will come to consoles later. It's not currently planned for a brick-and-mortar retail release.

See all our coverage directly from the show floor. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/conferences/e3_2011]

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
sounds like serious sam is what we wanted from duke nukem, Im hip, Ill buy it

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
This is what we all need. Serious Sam has my money.
Note: it may just be me, but the images aren't coming up.

Triforceformer

Jun 16, 2009
Sounds alright. Sounds older school than many actual old school FPSes. Sounds like what people thought DNF would have been, but never actually was going to be from the start. Sounds like alot of stuff, really.

But does it sound like something I'd buy? Depends on how my computer runs it, if it has a demo, and how much it costs.

Keith Reedy

Jan 10, 2011
Oh YES! I've been playing Serious Sam TFE on 360 recently and thinking about buying TSE and also enjoyed Serious Sam 2

I eat resistance for breakfast!

Veloxe

Oct 5, 2010
Man, The First Encounter was the first game where I surpassed my old man in terms of playing still at. Ever since those days of LAN playthroughs with him I've loved this series! So hyped for this next one.

MrGalactus

Elite Member
Sep 18, 2010
I hope it's really, really, really hard. I'm downloading TSE trial right now to see if it kicks my ass, if it does, SS3 might just get my cash.
I'll edit this post when I finish the trial.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
My nostalgia pressure valve failed! Explosion in 3... 2... 1...

ALL YOUR MONIES ARE BELONG TO US!!!

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
16 player co op?! Seriously!? Well played Sam... well played...

Not that that was the thing that sold me, everything about this game looks like pure gold

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
THEJORRRG said:
I hope it's really, really, really hard. I'm downloading TSE trial right now to see if it kicks my ass, if it does, SS3 might just get my cash.
Trust me, it will kick your ass, although it depends on what difficult you choose. You can also costumize the health of the enemies and stuff like that so dont worry about difficulty

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
josemlopes said:
THEJORRRG said:
Trust me, it will kick your ass, although it depends on what difficult you choose. You can also costumize the health of the enemies and stuff like that so dont worry about difficulty
this is true, Serious Sam on Serious difficulty WILL kick your ass, encouraging you to choose wisely what weapon to use in each combat, especially since your own explosives hurt a lot when they hit you

Keith Reedy said:
Oh YES! I've been playing Serious Sam TFE on 360 recently and thinking about buying TSE and also enjoyed Serious Sam 2

I eat resistance for breakfast!
do it, bro
it's basically the same as First Encounter, but with more weapons, enemies and level variety

and a personal tip, get it for PC, due to it's modding capabilities

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
I'm always in the mood for a new Serious Sam game and it's cool to see some of the enemies from the original game getting a new lick of paint. Those one eyed guys look a lot more vicious now. Let's see beheaded kamikazes too!

Nonetheless, call me old fashioned, but no retail release? I am disappointed.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
As was said, if Duke Nukem Forever fails to capture the old-school aesthetic as many are claiming it does... The timing on this could hardly be better.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
zombi2989 said:
SIXTEEN PLAYER CO-OP?!!?

P.S. What does B.F.E stand for?
Before First Encounter. Thus this being a prequel.

For those of you unfamiliar with this franchise, here are some :)