E3: Xcom

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
Having not played the originals, I at least have no personal interest in whether or not they butcher them. I promise I'm outraged from a principle kind of view, but this is actually starting to sound interesting, so I'll put that outrage aside for now.

Shodan1980

Mar 29, 2010
I just don't know what to make of this, I've played the first three games so many times (and even the newer UFO series for their faults) I've lost track. My copy of the first one came on floppies and it was still called UFO: Enemy Defence and it remains one of my favourite games of all time. But.....this sounds like it could be promising. Its not X-Com, so I can understand the rage at calling it that, but you never know, it might be a good game. Make everybody happy, call it Team X or something.

The-Fletch

Mar 19, 2011
Lies! Everyone knows Dr. Weir is female.

/Atlantis

I still don't know about this. It could work but it will never be the X-COM that we're looking for.

Chaos Marine

Feb 6, 2008
I don't wish the developers fall down a deep, deep well. I hope they fall down into hell and burn for all eternity.

Sartan0

Apr 5, 2010
I said it when I first heard about this game and I will say it again: I will judge it on how fun the game is. Not the name they put on it. Yes, it is not Xcom. That does not mean it will not be a good game. Thought it would be great if they made a real one.

Mortons4ck

Jan 12, 2010
Disappointed, and not in the least bit surprised. Xenonauts [http://www.xenonauts.com/] can't come fast enough.

Alone Disciple

Jun 10, 2008
To any and/or all developers:

When you think about getting your hands on a cult classic game, in this case, X-Com. why do you always feel the need to put your own spin and re-interpretation on classic game mechanics.

The original X-Com was a legendary hit, and for close to 15 years, original players still ruminate over how great a game it was, and all we ask, and dream, and hope for...is an updated version of the classic. Why, oh why, do you think we want this franchise turned in a run-n-gun? A FPS? Tweaked origins?

No, the reason that the last 3 versions of this game sucked and failed was because you development houses 100% ignored everything we the consumer asked for and 'wish' for.

This may be a stupid analogy, but if everyone loves a classic pepperoni pizza and that's all they talk about, and the sales of said pizza went through the roof and everyone says they'd wish that pepperoni would come back.....why would you introduce us to stuffed crust? Toppings from gourmet ethnic markets? Dipping sauces? And then wonder why the thing tanks?

All we want is X-Com back, not the super duper, flashy, extreme, in-your-face, gritty, 120FPS 3D Blue-ray version.

Remember the old sayings:

1) If it ain't broke don't fix it...?
2) Sometimes, less is more...?

Dammit....Just for once give me my X-Com, teh X-Com that everyone loved and talked about for 15 years, and what everyone compares all this crap to today to. Arrggghhh!!!!!

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Lord Of Cyberia said:
Meh. I played the original games. And this doesn't seem ANYTHING like them. At least its' better than BIOSHOCK: ALIEN EDITION, but still. Now it's just MASS EFFECT: SIXTIES EDITION....

Actually, that would be pretty awesome. Just Mass Effect, but everyone wears bell bottoms and is outrageously high.
I agree with every single word on this post. Although that description would be undistinguishable from MASS EFFECT: EIGHTIES EDITION. *Cue ABBA*

ark123

Feb 19, 2009
You know what, just Xcom with better graphics would make me buy it. Straight up the same game with better graphics.
Fuck this game, and fuck 2K for making it.

Product Placement

Jul 16, 2009
It's still an insult to the original franchise.

Don't get me wrong, the game looks good and I would (emphasis on "would") have considered buying it if they hadn't slapped the X-com name on it.

It's kinda like creating a new Star Wars movie, that has nothing to do with the force, Darth wader, the empire and the rebells, doesn't tie with the previous movies in any way or didn't even start "a long time ago in a galaxy, far, far away". Even if it turned out to be a good movie, how can you call that Star Wars?

Nutcase

Dec 3, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
I don't know if the changes 2k has made will be enough of a compromise for old school fans of the series, but it looks like this new Xcom is at least trying to find a happy middle ground.
I also heard of this upcoming game called Duke Nukem Forever which is the heavily re-imagined sequel of the game Chess. Now, I haven't actually played Chess myself - it's supposed to be this turn-based thing - but based on the in-game footage of DNF, Gearbox is at least trying to find a middle ground between the fans of the original and the people who just want to blow up aliens while being serviced by babes.

It's ridiculous for you to make any comment on "middle ground", happy or otherwise, not having played the original. You don't know where the middle ground is, not even if it can exist.