EA Aims to "Broaden" Dead Space Audience

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Don Savik said:
With the release of Lost Planet 3, I guess the new thing is "third person ice planet alien shooter".

I liked Dead Space. Hell, I bought the Dead Space 2 collector's edition (mainly for the toy plasma cutter...yea..I know) but seriously.

I hope this bites EA in the ass really really hard. I'm positive it will, because it has NEVER worked before. Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 3, and now you've come out saying that you're "broadening the demographic" of another game? Its like you don't even care that you're losing money because the idea of having the 1% chance of making 100 bajillion dollars gives you an erection. Its so comically stupid that nobody here is taking it seriously.

Hell it might be a good game, but the publicity is so fucking atrocious that nobody is going to touch it.

EA is running out of IPs though.....the next few years are going to be interesting....
Your post just gave me an idea.

Assuming Dead Space 3 would have been good and had no co-op and be much like Dead Space 2, would you find the game more terrifying in a forest setting? I still find the food/environment place in Dead Space 1 rather unsettling.

Ice isn't that scary IMO. The problem being its too white and loud. It fits for lost planet but not this franchise.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
Machine Man 1992 said:
Okay, first off, I'm not usually a horror fan but that idea kicks so much ass.

Secondly, I thought Dead Space the first was the only really scary one of the bunch. Most of the appeal was the atmosphere and I really liked the mythos that's been built up.

Thirdly, Dead Space doesn't need mass market appeal; horror gamers are a highly entrenched, tappable market all by themselves, EA doesn't need to make Dead Space a bland shooter out of it. They've basically hybridized the game into an indistinct grey blob of a half dozen other genres. I'm concerned it's just not going to feel like the Dead Space I fell in love with.
Yes, it's true. If EA had its own head up its ass any further it'd be licking the inside of its ribcage. But the guys at Visceral care about their game and the setting and they're doing their best to keep the story alive, even as they juggle EA's ridiculous demands for the next "popular product" killer instead of just making games. A WoW-killer, a CoD-killer, etc. etc.

samaugsch

Oct 13, 2010
UrieHusky said:
samaugsch said:
"A big girl"? Why does your profile say that you're male?
Wha..? "A big girl" refers to somebody who is scared easily, regardless of gender o.o
Oh. I always thought that was "little girl". I guess they both mean the same thing. lol

loa

Jan 28, 2012
SnakeoilSage said:
One thing I would like to see is a Dead Space game without guns. Just kinesis and stasis. You use the environment to knock necromorphs back and run like hell. That'd be fun. It wouldn't be much for advancing the story, but it would give you the horror you seem to want in the setting you claim to enjoy.
You do realize that's what dead space was supposed to be first?

All about zero gravity puzzles, using the environment to stall enemies, no real "weapons" because, well, you're an engineer so they're just tools made into makeshift weapons.
Like the plasma cutter, you can see how that is actually supposed to be used to cut metal things on spaceships.
Picture a handyman using nailguns, welding tools and wrenches to fight off zombies in space.
That was the first concept of it.

Unfortunately they fucked that up in dead space 1 already by adding outright weapons or nonsense "tools" like the force gun or the gun that shoots flying buzzsaws but at least they played their "we're in space" cards right with the zero g and vacuum sequences that make this game stand out from the rest.

The Crazy Legs

Nov 11, 2011
Lugbzurg said:
Sixcess said:
EA... just wow. You literally cannot make shit up that's more wrong headed and greedy than what these guys come out with on an almost daily basis.

If any of my favourite game series were under the sway of EA I'd be fearing for their survival right about now.
I fear for FancyPants Adventures.
... No. No, no, no. NO NO NO NO NO NO NO! Please. Tell me that that was your sick idea of a joke. Please don't tell me that EA's got their hands on that game. Please! They're ruining Dead Space, they ruined Mass Effect, they've ruined Battlefield (I say ruined because I kind of liked Bad Company); PLEASE TELL ME YOU'RE JOKING ABOUT THEM HAVING CONTROL OVER THE FANCY PANTS ADVENTURES!!!

*goes to Wikipedia* NOOOOOOOO!!!

The Crazy Legs

Nov 11, 2011
Terminate421 said:
AGH!!!

FUCK EA!!!

Before I didn't give a shit at what they did. But they stabbed Dead Space right in the heart and then shat on its corpse!

It's exactly like the Alien franchise history!!!

Alien 1: Great
Aliens: Great
Alien 3: SUCKED

Dead Space 1: Great
Dead Space 2: Great
Dead Space 3: Sucked

Their reasoning? "Broaden the audience" like anyone at all pays attention to the third game in a franchise at this point. It will sell less than Dead Space 2, I'd put my life savings on that bet. Pirates don't count either.
Well, the Dead Space games do share a lot in common with the Alien movies, specificly the xenomorphs and necromorphs.

1. -morphs' names are somewhat similar
2. -morphs use vents to move around quickly
3. First entry takes place on a ship
4. Second entry involves some sort of colony (the Sprawl & LV-426, accordingly)
5. -morphs want to kill everything, while they can infect

Am I missing something here?

Captcha: "Pampers: describe this brand with any words"
WHAT THE HELL IS THIS SHIT?! IS THE CAPTCHA ADVERTIZING NOW?!

trophykiller

Jul 23, 2010
I was never actually frightened during dead space 1. It may seem odd, but as everyone was freaking out over how terrifying it was, I was thinking "finally, a game with dismemberment!". I hated how in other games, either your foes would stay completely intact upon death, or the loss of a limb would result in instant death.

Finally, I saw a game in which they dared to allow my foe to stand up after having a limb blown off. Words cannot describe how much fun I had with that.

Mr Companion

Jul 27, 2009
Christ games companies are whiny. "Oh its so hard for us all earning paychecks larger than your whole district will earn in their entire lifetime, pity us massive multimillion dollar companies!"
Look EA, dumbing down your already dumb as s**t franchise wouldn't be necessary if you had proper management. Don't come crying to us about your ridiculously exaggerated minimal sales mark when Minecraft with a tiny budget can earn plenty with innovation alone. Furthermore nobody cares about the viability of another gory shooter, we got spades of that. In a world where Demon's Souls is a massive success you cant blame demographic restrictions.

MCrewdson001

Jul 4, 2011
This is truly one of the main reasons why gaming is in a slump right now. companies try to make there games appeal to larger audiences with new game play styles and in turn create a game that will most likely fail at it's task because it's core fan base are buying it for what it already has as a game (horror/survival) and not because it has big guns for the over machismo portion of gamers to drool over.

by the way action games are fun and enjoyable but they aren't the be all and end all