EA Blames Dragon Age 2 Disappearance on Valve

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
EA Blames Dragon Age 2 Disappearance on Valve

Electronic Arts says this recent disappearance of Dragon Age 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Age-2-Pc/dp/B0047THYWC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1311865249&sr=8-3] from Steam is the result of "restrictive terms" imposed by Valve, an explanation that has a bit of a familiar ring to it.

EA's Dragon Age 2 mid-June [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111912-Dragon-Age-2-Disappears-From-Steam] and hasn't been seen since, although it remains available on other digital platforms.

And sure enough, EA has released a statement explaining the absence that sounds an awful lot like the one it put out in June. "At EA, we offer our games and content to all major download services including GameStop, Amazon, Direct2Drive and Steam," EA's David DeMartini told IGN [http://pc.ign.com/articles/118/1184485p1.html?RSSwhen2011-07-27_184200&RSSid=1184485]. "Unfortunately, Steam has adopted a set of restrictive terms of service which limit how developers interact with customers to sell downloadable content. No other download service has adopted this practice. Consequently some of our games have been removed by Steam. We hope to work out an agreement to keep our games on Steam."

The obvious question at this point - well, one of them - is, what's next to go? Dead Space 2? Darkspore? Bulletstorm? The dispute appears to be over EA's insistence on selling DLC directly through its games, denying Valve the cut it would normally earn by selling it through Steam, and that could mean that while most of the current catalog is safe, future releases like Mass Effect 3 or Battlefield 3 - which already appears headed for a Steamless launch [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111562-Battlefield-3-May-Not-Reach-Steam] - might not make it there at all.

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
What "restrictive terms of service" was there exactly that prevents download off of Steam? I've got to call BS on EA on this part. It cannot possibly be purchasing downloadable content in-game, because many other games allow that including the just added new set of Free-2-Play titles that Valve ENCOURAGES!

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
My money is on a publicity grab for Origin.

After all, what better way to draw attention to your own Digital Distributor than to pick a fight with the king of the hill?

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
You know, this whole Origin vs Steam, EA vs Valve thing is one of the few times I'm glad to be a lowely console player. I don't have to worry about where I will get my games.

EDIT: I'm not anti-PC gaming at all. I'm just saying that "Not having to deal with DD services is a plus for me"

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
No one else is making a fuss. No one else has even commented on it. So I doubt Valve are the ones with the problem.

They keep everything consolidated likely because they don't want other people's shitty service (I would struggle to name a publisher that has provided a decent download service, or that can even maintain good servers for its own games half the time) affecting their image. If its their problem they can deal with it. EA just wants the entire slice of their own overpriced DLC. Nevermind that the only reason some people buy it is because Steam's knocked off 75% and stuck it in the "recommended for you" tab.

And this whole thing isn't new anyway; I'm pretty sure that if you've wanted to use DLC with a Steam version you needed to buy the DLC through Steam.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Woodsey said:
(I would struggle to name a publisher that has provided a decent download service, or that can even maintain good servers for its own games half the time)
Blizzard?

Sorry, just had to say that.

Echo136

Feb 22, 2010
I seriously doubt this is the issue. With the coming launch of Origin (Or did it already launch? I dont even care about it enough to check) it hardly seems like coincidence that all these EA games are being dropped from STEAMs catalog all of a sudden.

microhive

Mar 27, 2009
CM156 said:
You know, this whole Origin vs Steam, EA vs Valve thing is one of the few times I'm glad to be a lowely console player. I don't have to worry about where I will get my games now.
Well, the games you play are controlled by the console makers. You're actually in a worse position compared to the relatively open PC market.

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
This sounds a little unreasonable. I don't remember my paintball store refusing to sell guns because you can get upgrades directly from the manufacturer.

This is shady business, it would be like game-stop not selling Mass effect 2 unless you had to come to the store to buy DLC unlock codes from them.

Jordi

Jun 6, 2009
Here's what I think the "dispute" is: Valve wants a cut of the DLC sales. EA doesn't want to give part of their DLC profits to Valve.

I don't know who removed the game, but if Valve did it, it was probably because EA violated their ToS. Either way, I think EA initiated it and are doing so to lure people away from Steam and to Origin.

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
I don't see the issue here EA, clearly you agreed to steams terms of service and knew you wasn't allowed to sell dlc inside the game, denying steam it´s share of the profit.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
Kargathia said:
My money is on a publicity grab for Origin.

After all, what better way to draw attention to your own Digital Distributor than to pick a fight with the king of the hill?
Yeah and not only that but emphasise your 'underdog' status by crying "Oh look how the big bully is treating us! No one else does that!".

If EA really wanted it's games out there, it would have made the concessions, but ultimately it was their choice to allow DA2 and Crysis 2 go off Steam through not complying.

Still, BF3 will only be available on Origin, so it looks like I'm off over to that DDS anyway...

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Jordi said:
Here's what I think the "dispute" is: Valve wants a cut of the DLC sales. EA doesn't want to give part of their DLC profits to Valve.

I don't know who removed the game, but if Valve did it, it was probably because EA violated their ToS. Either way, I think EA initiated it and are doing so to lure people away from Steam and to Origin.
This is most likely what it is. EA wanted more money, Valve didn't want to lose the money they were gettin. Instead of the two tryin to work out a deal EA decided that they'd just take their toys back to their own toybox. Can't really fault either side on this one honestly. Businesses need to make money.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
Can anyone be sure it just wasn't a matter of good taste in games on Valve's part? I know if I operated a digital distribution platform for games I'd insist that weren't stagnant piles of maggot covered dog shit before offering to sell them. Sadly, Dragon Age 2 wouldn't make the cut in that case as to call it a pile of maggot covered dog shit would be giving both maggots and dog shit a huge disservice.

funksobeefy

Mar 21, 2009
I think it makes sense for EA, why would they want to cut profits with steam? Why would they not want people to come over to their new Origin gaming service?

I think this is just a case of the rampant Valve "can do no wrong" and EA "is the devil" talk that happens so frequently in this site

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
While Steam is a useful service at times, I don't see it as the end-all be-all savior, holier-than-thou internet messiah of gaming distribution. Just like EA, Steam is a greedy money hungry corporation (you people realize Team Fortress originally was just a free-to-download, f2p mod that Valve took over, re-released as a "full" pay-for-this game and then went to micro-transactions and F2P). Guaranteed whatever they do, it is for money and not because they give "fans what they want". Corporations are inherently greedy, because who doesn't like money? Valve is no different, while they may put out decent games, with Steam they have more uber-control over you and your gaming experience. Tell me, if you lose connection to your internet that Steam will allow you to play games without it being connected to their servers. (not counting non-Steam bought games) EDIT: apparently this doesn't happen anymore... weird.
I'm not downing on Steam, nor am I downing on EA. They're both corporations and both out for themselves, not the fans. EA is just a bit more honest about it. Valve couches it in "we did this for you" marketing language which tends to improve profit margins, but ultimately is designed to get your money.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Well Valve is kind of dumb since EA makes a lot of successful games... I don't really care if games are on Steam or not. Aside from Steam sales, I always check D2D, Impulse, Steam, and now Origin for the best price on games. I'll choose Steam if it's the same as the rest meerly because most of my games are already on Steam, but honestly it doesn't really matter to me. I'll probably get BF3 on D2D, since they seem the least draconian lol. At least the last time I used them. Although I hate that stupid Comrade thing they have going on.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
Though I can see where EA is coming from, I'm rolling with Valve for a reason I hate using in any argument, the "this will lead to that" argument. Say if they released an entire game in chunks, by the same argument, only a tiny amount needs to be put on steam, while 80% could be downloaded from inside the game, so only 25% or w/e it is of 20% of the game would go to steam, not 25% of the whole game. It would encourage putting less into games and more into DLCs and chunks in order to side step steam and other companies, so I'm with Valve for not budging on this.