EA Boss Defends Online Passes

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
John Funk said:
EA CEO John Riccitiello defended his company's new Online Pass initiative, saying that these days development work wasn't finished "when a game ships."
That's true, but how is that our fault?

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
I see your argument. However, with used game sales, when a preowned game is sold, the publisher of the game isn't getting a share of that profits, the retailer is. This is essentially watering down the value of each copy of a game they sell to retailers. With this ten dollar project, however, they're assuring that, if the gamer wants full access to content, then they'll have to pay directly to the publisher, assuring that on each resell of a used game they're at least turning some kind of profit. Sure, it ultimately means we lose out, but we need to remember that these companies are only looking out for themselves.

AngryMongoose

Elite Member
Jan 18, 2010
Why are you charging $10 for it, while still giving it free to customers? They are shipping what has been shipped in the past, using a sytem (in this case since it's for online multiplayer) which is reasonable for post-gold production but, since this is part of the game, not DLC, as shown by the fact that the game comes with it, why charge for it? The only possible purpose is to cut down or charge for used sales.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
you know how you could get games developed on time before release dates?

Give them more fucking time to finish the game.

drkchmst

Mar 28, 2010
Hmmm, only in a world where that Online Pass gives you FREE access to the DLC that comes post release could I support it. Otherwise its just like...I'm paying 10 bucks to play online...plus extra ridiculous sums when it comes to DLC. I absolutely hate microtransactions. Huge ripoff

shemoanscazrex3

Mar 24, 2010
Bullshit just tell us the truth. Also if I buy the game new do I get every single piece of DLC free as far as I know that's a no. 10 bucks for just multiplayer? Sounds like Burnout Paradise's Party Pack

Mathurin

Jul 1, 2008
He is not entirely correct, game have required support for years, they didnt just put it out then shut down the project, which is why patches occurred.

If they actually do something with the game, adding content instead of just patching errors or balancing gameplay then its justified, but without that then they are just looking for an excuse to charge more.

Bottom line, unless they add content, its a ripoff
I have a feeling they will instead hold content back at release and pretend they are adding it.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Well...

*looks at all the free DLC for Bad Company 2 and Mass Effect 2*

That's a good bit of free stuff from the VIP Pass and Cerberus Network...

I'm cool with this.

Mathurin

Jul 1, 2008
Oh, and I forgot to mention that, assuming their "free pass" requires registration (otherwise the free pass could just be sent along with the used game) its a great way to build a database of customer contact information.

Edit: forgot about the console thing, the part where they virtually own your console and can lock things to it.

Looks like DLC is just another money sink
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downloadable_content
Strange, I hadnt run into any DLC personally, I must be way behind in my gaming

ModusPwnens

Jun 6, 2010
It'd definitely be easier to swallow if they just came out and said they wanted a slice of the used game market's pie. Having said that, though the following analogy is imperfect because it's digital content we're dealing with, I think it's reasonable for there to be perks to buying say, a new car that you wouldn't get if you bought used. And if the manufacturer wanted to make those perks available to those who bought used, for a fee, fair enough.

On the other hand, when that 'perk' is a main part of the product's functionality, like multiplayer, that's kind of bullshit. To stick the above analogy, the manufacturer can't come and rip the engines out of used cars, and require those who buy used to pay them to get the engine back.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
Now is a good time to get into EA games if you don't play online. Usually the previous year's Madden sells for about $3 when the new one comes out. Now, I doubt it'll be more than $1 thanks to their online pass bullshit.

If EA wants to charge for things they sell online, like their Ultimate Team option (whatever that is), that's cool, but don't charge gamers to play online. They pay the ISPs to be online, if they have a 360 they have to pay for XBL, and now if you buy used, you have to pay another $10. In the end, they might see some profit from Sony and Nintendo users since they don't have to pay, but their profits from the 360 will drop. I guarantee it.

Jesus Phish

Jan 28, 2010
I agree with him. Not a fan of preowned games, particulary when they're usually only five euro less.

They take up too much shelf room too in stores.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
On one hand I hate gamestop, on the other hand I hate publishers who add nothing of value other than a bankroll and suck the life and joy out of an activity that is supposed to be fun.

So really I hope all of them die out as with the internet creators are able to take their work directly to their fans and cut out the parasitic middlemen.

Arec Balrin

Feb 26, 2010
That said, Riccitiello admitted he understood why people were skeptical of anything that came out of the mouth of publishers - that some gamers were "people that carry a cynicism about publishers in general, and they're always going to."
Er no Mr Ricciteiello; despite being part of the Left4Dead 2 boycott, I hold absolutely no cynicism towards Valve. Maybe towards certain people at Valve, maybe towards the L4D franchise, but not Valve and especially not Valve as a publisher. The same goes for Stardock. This is totally different from my attitude towards Activision, Ubisoft, Take-Two and Electronic Arts. This disparity does not exist in a vacuum for no reason. That I would trust Valve and Stardock with my special unique Earthsea name that renders absolute power over me but wouldn't trust your company with my postcode speaks volumes to those reasons.

So no we aren't always going to be cynical: we'll keep being that way as long as you keep giving us reasons to.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
SenseOfTumour said:
Here's a crazy idea, ship future games with DLC available,(not a damn feature that's a basic part of the game, like multiplayer), but make it FREE to download for say, one month after the release date.

That rewards the people who not only buy new, but also those who buy in that all important first month window, where they're likely paying full price too. It rewards the avid fans, whereas people who buy second hand, or pick up the game for $10 a year later have the option of buying the DLC if they want it.
Another problem with that is one person could buy the game pass it around to there friends in the 1st month and get the DLC free then buy it later used and have the DLC already ir rent it to screw them other further. PLus the 1st time buyer thing doesn't end after the launch of the game right? it's as long as they make new copies?