EA Botches Origin Coupon Giveaway

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Yeah, I tried to nick a few (I didn't know how my friend came across the code, he just handed it over) but I couldn't hardly do anything on the site. By the time I had an item or two in my cart, the damn thing would time out and I'd have to start over.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
I would scold people for taking free games, but frankly this is karma.

EA's well known policy of handing out dodgy discount codes, cd keys and never ever refunding anyone ever has been suddenly, if only partially, balanced out in the universe.

In an office somewhere else, Bobby Kotick is laughing his ass off.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
I'm starting to get the feeling that EA is less evil and more that the board of directors is made up of the Marx Brothers and the Three Stooges. All of the moneygrubbing crap is just Chico Marx's schemes gone horribly, horribly right.

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
Kargathia said:
Zombie_Moogle said:
Lt. Rocky said:
EA's new to the concept of compassion, so it might be a while until we get an event that's done properly. Give them credit for trying at least.
That's what they get for scaring away the one being at EA that had something resembling emotions: Peter Molyneux
While I can't help but be enjoyed by the whole notion that if a large publisher pulls a dickmove, it probably was EA, I still feel the need to point out that Peter Molyneux was employed by Microsoft.
Exactly my point. Had 'em & lost 'em

Itsthefuzz

Apr 1, 2010
It wasn't a free game, it was 20 dollars off any title. So any game 20 dollars and under would be free, but you couldn't just get ME3 for free.

MortisLegio

Nov 5, 2008
Hey, I HATE EA but I'll give them credit for the coupon idea (even if the coupon was just a $20 off). It was a nice try EA but in the end well... you screwed up.

Screamarie

Mar 16, 2008
Mcoffey said:
I hadn't realized this was some kind of accident. I got the code on a forum here, and assumed EA was doing some kind of limited-time PR move.

Still, kind of wished I'd tried the code more than once. I just assumed it was a once per customer thing and only got The Saboteur.
I did the same thing, got a stuff pack for my Sims...on the one I kind of wish I had gotten more than one, I mean free is free...but on the other hand I feel kind of bad about it because I feel kind of like I stole it, since they didn't intend the code for me...

But hey they're honoring the sale so I guess I'm don't have to feel TOO bad...

Thedutchjelle

Mar 31, 2009
Why didn't I know of this :(

Oh well. I still got some games I got to play from the THC sale a few weeks ago anyway ;D

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
This is such a basic and simple task for someone who hasn't even gone to school for database work, that it is nearly impossible to imagine anyone fucking it up this bad. It is obvious that EA gave 0 fucks when trying to implement something to help boost sales, and datamine.

If EA can't even get this right, what can they ever accomplish?

Coffeejack

Oct 1, 2012
This is all terribly, terribly unfortunate and not funny in the slightest. All I can think of is a giant pile of burning money. Oh, the humanity.

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
Hah. Oh EA....what a massive cock-up. This is exactly the kind of thing you test extensively before releasing to the general populace for this very reason.

You see the occasional -100% prices on Steam in their sales, but they're usually rectified before anyone has time to take advantage.

[sub]Not that I just used an EA blunder as an excuse to spew forth my love for Steam[/sub]
[sub][sub]Kind of.[/sub][/sub]

grigjd3

Mar 4, 2011
It's really not all that surprising. I mean, of all the companies, EA must have the hardest time being generous.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
SnipErlite said:
Hah. Oh EA....what a massive cock-up. This is exactly the kind of thing you test extensively before releasing to the general populace for this very reason.

You see the occasional -100% prices on Steam in their sales, but they're usually rectified before anyone has time to take advantage.

[sub]Not that I just used an EA blunder as an excuse to spew forth my love for Steam[/sub]
[sub][sub]Kind of.[/sub][/sub]
You get two internets, one for the "mmm pi" avatar

The second is for the steam love. =D

grigjd3 said:
It's really not all that surprising. I mean, of all the companies, EA must have the hardest time being generous.
Yes, but they're idiots, there's not going to be much sympathy for them.

Earthmonger

Apple Blossoms
Feb 10, 2009
Lawyer105 said:
The biggest hurdle is getting people to try something new, after all.
EA. Running Digital Distribution. I'm still sternly opposed to Origin. Not ever downloaded it. Not ever bought a game that required it. Not ever pirated such a game to avoid Origin. No, if it requires Origin, it just doesn't exist to me. Strict boycott, and I've not given in. EA has a looong way to go before I'll ever trust them, or think about using Origin.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
thank you dickheads for making it clear as to why gamers can't have nice things. EA tried to something nice and people took advantage of it.

elilupe

Jun 1, 2009
I'm surprised EA didn't just ban everyone that exploited the coupon and instead opted to let it be.