EA CEO John Riccitiello Resigns - UPDATED

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
EA CEO John Riccitiello Resigns - UPDATED

John Riccitiello has announced that he will step down as chief executive of Electronic Arts at the end of the month.

Acknowledging that the company's financial performance is tracking below expectations, John Riccitiello, who has served as CEO of Electronic Arts since 2007, submitted his letter of resignation to the board of directors today. His final day will be March 30.

Riccitiello will be temporarily succeeded by Larry Probst, who was named Executive Chairman by the board. "We thank John for his contributions to EA since he was appointed CEO in 2007, especially the passion, dedication and energy he brought to the company every single day," Probst said in a statement. "John has worked hard to lead the company through challenging transitions in our industry, and was instrumental in driving our very significant growth in digital revenues. We appreciate John's leadership and the many important strategic initiatives he has driven for the company. We have mutually agreed that this is the right time for a leadership transition."

"EA is an outstanding company with creative and talented employees, and it has been an honor to serve as the Company's CEO. I am proud of what we have accomplished together, and after six years I feel it is the right time for me pass the baton and let new leadership take the Company into its next phase of innovation and growth," the soon-to-be-former CEO added. "I remain very optimistic about EA's future - there is a world class team driving the Company's transition to the next generation of game consoles."

Riccitiello actually assumed the CEO mantle from Probst while the company was still trading at around the $60 mark; the subsequent half-decade has seen the company's share value plunge to well under $20. Whether that crash in value, and EA's inability to return to its previous state, had anything to do with Riccitiello's decision to fall on his sword is the sort of question that nobody in a position to know will ever answer, but is nonetheless almost certain.

UPDATE: In his resignation letter, Riccitiello stated that his decision to leave was driven by "accountability for the shortcomings in our financial results this year."

"It currently looks like we will come in at the low end of, or slightly below, the financial guidance we issued to the Street, and we have fallen short of the internal operating plan we set one year ago," he wrote. "And for that, I am 100 percent accountable."

Riccitiello's resignation letter can be read in full at the EA Blog [http://www.ea.com/news/from-john].

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009

But let's see how the next in line does with EA. Could be better or worse. Either way, we gonna find out soon.

Full

Sep 3, 2012
Well, uh... that's kind of out of the blue, I guess.

Happy trails, I suppose. Hopefully this means EA won't be as much of a dick anymore. It probably won't do anything, though. I'm not even sure what he did.

Nomad of the Stars

Oct 28, 2012
Joyous day!

... Though really, I have to doubt that this'll change much. Oh well, there is at least a slight chance things will be better. A slight chance is better then none.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
I doubt this will change anything, but it is nice to see him finally go as we forge ahead into year six of his three year turn around.

His hubris on taking the position (and utter failure to meet his own targets) has a nice parallel to EA as a whole's trajectory over the last few years.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
You know, that picture is actually more horrifying than Jim's version (below)

There's just a subtle hint of "I'm going to kill you and no one will ever know" about that face.

Moving on...

Can't say him leaving is a huge loss for me. While I know that just changing the man at the top will probably not do much to change EA, Riccitiello has presided over some of EA's shittier behaviour and whoever comes in after Probst (assuming he doesn't stay on) may be able to hopefully change them for the better, however slightly.

Well, we all can dream, can't we?

EDIT: How come I didn't know that JR had a ballad for him.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
Could it have something to do with the SimCity mess? Not that it affected EA's share price much.

Oh well, new CEO probably won't mean new company vision

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
'Important Strategic Initiatives'...

So it's his fault?

And EA is outstanding... it should be out standing and thinking about why it abuses us?

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008

Break out the champagne gamers! Tonight we celebrate!

Of course I dubious at how much the change of CEO will effect EA's direction as a company but I will take this as a win for us and keep cautiously optimistic that just maybe EA can be slightly less evil for a bit.

EDIT

God damn ninj'd on the wizard of oz! Oh well take it away Kool & The Gang

Adept Mechanicus

Oct 14, 2012
Ding dong, the witch is dead. I don't think this is going to lead to a massive shakeup in corporate policy. A CEO is elected by the shareholders, after all.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Back when he was brought to the helm of EA in 2007 i was honestly kind of excited. He was a CEO who played games! Fucking imagine that. He also greenlight some new IP's like Dead Space and Mirror's Edge.

However, I just sort of lost respect for him as the years went on.

I'm glad he's out and I hope someone with a more consumer friendly mindset will step in after Probst's brief transition role.

Sep 14, 2009
Kevlar Eater said:

But let's see how the next in line does with EA. Could be better or worse. Either way, we gonna find out soon.
very true, still at least its shaking things up, not like the new CEO could do much worse...

-that statement is NOT A CHALLENGE EA. do not take it as such.

kael013

Jun 12, 2010
Great start! Now to move on to the board of directors, the CFO, and everyone else in a position of power there. Seriously, changing the guard in one position, no matter how powerful, in a company will NOT change their policies. In order to do that the whole leadership must be changed. But let's not ruin the day; this is a start, a glorious start.