EA CEO Wants Its Games to Fail For the "Right Reasons"

Bluestorm83

Jun 20, 2011
kiri2tsubasa said:
Furism said:
Also, you can still buy retail, physical copies of Skyrim or Dawn of War and play them without having to install Steam. However if you buy an EA (or Ubisoft, for that matter) game in a physical form, you still have to register it on Origin or UPlay if you want to play it.

Bull fucking shit. I bought Dawn of War 2 in retail and do you what the installation requirements were? Right, A steam account. So, yes, you have no option.
Did he say Dawn of War 2? No, he said Dawn of War. You even QUOTED that much. How can you quote someone correctly and yet fail to read what you've quoted?

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Oh Microsoft and EA, Just fuck already! Their similarities are quite scary and yet so drearily see-through.

" Perhaps the most prominent recent example would be the SimCity debacle which saw many players buy the game only to find themselves unable to play it on account of unnecessary technical issues."

Hehe...unnecessary technical issues. That's an unnecessarily unoffensive way of wording it.

I'm getting the whole 'what the spider said to the fly' sort of vibe from every article with quotes from loving EA executives. That or those drunken uncle promises of going to the theme park together or something really cool that never happens due to the fact that its a drunken uncle's words.

Yes EA, we know you might be getting worried that people are noticing how much you are hording your gold and not taking any 'risks' that us jaded gamers love so much that you could so easily afford, but god forbid the profit margins might not actually match up with those safe titles that most 12 year old boys have to keep asking their mums to buy. Considering the growing rate of teenage pregnancy and population, that's one market that will never get smaller. (Pun possibly intended only after writing).

I'm thinking of becoming a cyber Robin-hood, robbing from the rich game developers and publishers while giving to the indie developers to balance out the world and hopefully cut down those fifa, madden, ballsackian update etc games.

Not that i'm bitter or anything

Goliath100

Sep 29, 2009
"We need a mechanism and a process which we can get to [produce] better games more quickly."

I don't think you need "better" EA, but more "creative" and "different". No more CoD-colnes, you don't need 5 different 3rd person shooters series, you don't need 5 different FPS series. Not every game needs multiplayer, and not every game need co op. Just let people make the games they wanna make.

CriticKitten said:
You can make a product that covers, at most, two of the following three bases of business:
1) It's done fast
2) It's done cheap
3) It's done well
I'll use this as the surrogate for every comment that say it's impossible to make better products faster.

There is 2 giant flaws with this type of comment:
1: Its products, not A product.
2: The quote goes; "...need a mechanism and a process [to make games faster and better]". Aka, Wilson will probably restructure the company for more efficiency. My advice is to drop the individual studios in favor for many tiny creative teams and few but big program teams that jumps from one game to another when it is finished. We can only wait and see what EA does.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
"We need a mechanism and a process which we can get to [produce] better games more quickly," he said.
...And if you can do that, to heck with selling games. Sell the process to all the other companies...!

I don't know, guys. It's a mark of how badly EA has managed to screw up its relationship with its customers that I see statements like this as much for phrases that could be interpreted as "We need to up our buzzword quotient, and work on 'the feelz'" as "We want to make games that we can be proud of, win or lose".

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
CriticKitten said:
Tis guy sounds just like the last guy did.

"We're sorry. We'll fix it." followed by them making it worse.

Also:
"We need a mechanism and a process which we can get to [produce] better games more quickly"
My teachers back in engineering college had a saying that goes something like this....

You can make a product that covers, at most, two of the following three bases of business:
1) It's done fast
2) It's done cheap
3) It's done well

You can't have a product that does all three. So pick wisely.
This is something that management needs to learn. The people actually making the products understand this very well. It's the people lording over them that don't and that is a tragedy.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
CriticKitten said:
Tis guy sounds just like the last guy did.

"We're sorry. We'll fix it." followed by them making it worse.

Also:
"We need a mechanism and a process which we can get to [produce] better games more quickly"
My teachers back in engineering college had a saying that goes something like this....

1) It's done fast
2) It's done cheap
3) It's done well

You can't have a product that does all three. So pick wisely.
Agreed. That last point is economics/production 101. It seems asinine that an entire corporation would forget that. You cannot apply sports game development cycles to other genres (with the exception of some FPS titles, but arguably not much there either). I'd rather more well produced killer apps slightly less often.

It's funny, because John Ricetello started off by saying a lot of "consumer friendly" stuff too, back when he started at EA. Honestly, the company will continue to do what it does, "firing" and hiring new CEO's like trying on new hats. They will try to foist their shortcomings on the policies of these individuals, while remaining the same company all along. It's an old story.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
kiri2tsubasa said:
Furism said:
2) Don't MAKE me use Origin. If your platform is better than Steam, people will move to it. If you coerce them into using Origin, it will fail. I know people who are pirating your game just because they do not accept you forcing them on your platform.
That is exactly what steam did. It forced you to use it because you had no other option if you wanted to play Skyrim or Dawn of War 2, or myriad of other games. Either you use steam and play them or you do not play them at all. How is this different then what Origin is doing (at least with Origin some games do not need the client open to play them)?
Simple answer to that is because steam did it first. I know that doesn't make it any more right mind you but people give steam more of a break because they did a few things right.

1. Around the time when the Ps3 and 360 were coming out and the PC scene was in very bad shape steam came out that created both a community and great prices to purchase games. There were many problems when steam first came out mind you (tons) but the sales drew people into the service.

2. Steam helped streamline the use of mods, community marketplace, and the workshop. Instead of having to try and search for a specific mod you could find them with different filters and ratings.

3. Provided an excellent service even before they had direct competition. Not all decisions people agree with but the majority of things they do end up benefiting the consumer as well as the company. They even include many protections so that users do not lose their accounts (steam guard) and an anti-cheat.

Origin came long after 6 years that steam had to establish its place in the PC market only to provide a half-assed service in direct comparison to steam. While holding first party games hostage was a dick move in steam early days, there is no reason that Origin should repeat steam's mistakes instead of learning from them.

EA had 6+ years to get the blueprints of how to make a competitive service and instead they just copy pasted steam's past mistakes, holding first party games hostage, and saying that sales "devalue games".

Stupidity like that is why people cringe when they think of Origin and rarely have that reaction to steam. As a consumer I see no factual or logical reason why I would use Origin instead of steam.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
erttheking said:
"We need a mechanism and a process which we can get to [produce] better games more quickly,"

Oh for the love of, that's not what we asked for!

Ugh. Well, at least his heart is in the right place...I think. Well they have been getting a bit better lately, I suppose I can afford to give them a chance.
I think what he means is that he wants to get things more organized with developers to churn out quality products. Stuff like SimCity reeked of developers trying to work with stuff that they didn't understand, grossly underestimating how stuff like being always online would actually effect the game at launch. Given a lot of EA's past negotiations with devs like Pandemic and Origin (RIP), it could be that there's a massive disconnect between the CEOs managing the money and the devs making the product.

Hopefully this goes well in the end.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Well, that's some nice sentiment from EA, for a change.
Unfortunately, it's the company's decisions, and not their sentiments that I and many others dislike.

Besides, many of us have heard this before: EA has a history of making poor decisions followed by a period of "nice sentiments", only to be followed by more poor decisions. It's the reason I stopped buying EA's games years ago.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
Says the same company that says Steam Sales devalue the brand... only to turn around and have a sale of their own within days of that comment. Or the same company that said games shouldn't cost $60 and should be cheaper... only to have their own digital distribution method and change $60 for their games. Yeah, not going to believe this one either.

Headbiter

Nov 9, 2009
Yeah, yeah, yeah, not the first time we witnessed this song and dance routine from EA. Not the first time we got disappointed and spit at either.

So far all I'm seeing is that your PR-department is still doing fairly well. Deliver what you promise and we'll see if you can stick to it. Up until then it's just so much hot air blown in our faces.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
This is how companies survive, they might be in the toilet for a while, might be hated, but eventually they change leadership to someone who "gets it" and makes decisions to try to change the company image. Now ideas sound great on paper, its really how they interact with the actual "battlefield" (no pun intended) is what makes the company worth "forgiving". I personally always loved EA, but like a parent and their child was disappointed with their direction the past few years. I'm also a positive-first person, I try to give everything the benefit of the doubt (within reason).
So EA, show us what you can do, not just what you can say you're gonna do.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
"Making better games" and "more quickly" is rarely compatible in the gaming industry.

Overall I can't help but feel the guy is talking a lot of fluff with little substance, let's see EA walking the walk instead of talking about it for a change.

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
Its not about value. Sure that always helps, but that's not my main problem with EA and a lot of others' main problem with EA I think. For me its the fact that I constantly feel like I'm getting screwed or viewed with suspicion whenever I buy their product. I don't feel like they're looking out for me. Especially when as one of the biggest companies they pioneer these consumer unfriendly practices that just feel sleezy and target paying customers. And lets be honest that's the only people they effect. Pirates are smart and will crack your game no matter what, all you're doing is fucking the people who gave you money.

unstabLized

Mar 9, 2012
That's nice and all, but I'm not changing my vision on EA until something happens. Actions speak louder then words. Also, it just erks me everytime some comapny comes out and says "We want to push amazing products out at the fastest time possible.". That just doesn't work. Unless your game is tiny and doesn't need a lot of polishing and production, it's not possible to have a product done fast and well, and perhaps that's the biggest mistake a lot of these companies make. They're all extremely afraid to slow down just a tiny bit, and I guess I don't run a company or work in one so I can't judge, but it's still a fact that if you rush, your product won't be golden, at least not at launch.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
You can't "make better games quicker. This is in direct contradiction of the entire development process.

There needs to be some kind of award for stupidest corporations to go along with the Turd and Shonky.