EA CFO Confirms There Will Be No Battlefield Game Next Year

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
EA CFO Confirms There Will Be No Battlefield Game Next Year

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1364/1364573.jpgEA's Blake Jorgensen confirmed today that we won't see a new game in the Battlefield series for "a couple of years."

Battlefield 1 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/168700-Battlefield-1-Review] has brought new life to the series since it launched in October, but don't expect to see a follow-up in 2017. Instead, you can expect to see EA wait "a couple of years" to revisit the series.

That's according to EA Chief Financial Officer Blake Jorgenson, who dropped [http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/11/30/no-battlefield-next-year-star-wars-battlefront-2-much-bigger-exciting/] the news at the Nasdaq 35th Investor Program Conference in London earlier today. When asked about the company's plans for the future of the Battlefield and Star Wars Battlefront franchises, Jorgenson said,

""We won't have another Battlefield back for a couple of years, next year we'll have Battlefront, the Star Wars game."

It's unclear if he is referring to calendar years or fiscal years, but regardless, it sounds like DICE will have its hands full with the new Battlefront, which Jorgenson said would feature content from the new films. He called the next game "bigger and more exciting" than its predecessor.

Battlefield 1 is a solid entry into the series, so it's likely to be just fine representing its brethren for an extra year. Hopefully, this will also mean that the team working on the next game will get an extra year, assuming they're not too busy working on Battlefront.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Well... Battlefront is a Battlefield wearing a Star Wars skin, so does it really count as not a Battlefield?

Still, at least this means EA isnt having Visceral shit out another side project for the sake of meeting a yearly quota.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Good. Yearly releases has been a practise which I've heard has made the titles released rushed to the market and riddled with bugs, so it sounds like a sound decision. The well received Battlefield 1 had apparently been in the works for years, so if they take more time with the next game then it might be another Battlefield 1 in the making.

Paragon Fury said:
BATTLEFIELD. 21. FUCKING. 43.

Make it happen DICE.
They will release a Battlefront, aka a futuristic multiplayer shooter. What would 2143 have that Battlefront has not?

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Bedinsis said:
Good. Yearly releases has been a practise which I've heard has made the titles released rushed to the market and riddled with bugs, so it sounds like a sound decision. The well received Battlefield 1 had apparently been in the works for years, so if they take more time with the next game then it might be another Battlefield 1 in the making.

Paragon Fury said:

Make it happen DICE.
They will release a Battlefront, aka a futuristic multiplayer shooter. What would 2143 have that Battlefront has not?

All of this.

Battlefront is nice and all, but Battlefield was, is and always will be the king of combined arms competitive shooter MP. Battlefront even in its' heyday is but a mere shadow of what Battlefield has done.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Bedinsis said:
BF1 has more in common with Battlefront than 2143 does. It was partly the bigger scale, partly the less arcadey physics and shooting, but mostly it was Titan Mode, a full scale Battlefield game going on whilst two massive hulking ships duke it out above the whole thing (and the fight continues on top and inside the ships) is really quite special.

I'm not sure it's a game DICE is capable of making anymore. The unforgiving nature of the combat and vehicles likely wouldn't fit with what EA considers mass appeal, whilst Battlefield maps have gotten smaller and smaller over time, something really hammered home if you play 2142 or 2 nowadays. I also expect the relative failures of Titanfall 2 and Infinite Warfare will lead EA to claim sci-fi is played out.

On the plus side, you can get it for free now and it's still completely awesome.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Paragon Fury said:
Battlefront is nice and all, but Battlefield was, is and always will be the king of combined arms competitive shooter MP. Battlefront even in its' heyday is but a mere shadow of what Battlefield has done.
Have you tried out Planetside? Though the free-to-play move with Planetside 2 has kind of made a mess of fluidity as stuff is locked behind credits and currency systems. Once you get through the grindy aspects of unlocking stuff it picks up though.

Aug 31, 2011
I don't believe it. Unless, of course, they mean no full AAA Battlefield releases but several Hardline-esque ones.

4Aces

May 29, 2012
Queue the Battle*'s. Oh, they alredy have Battlefront queued? So it *will* just be the same generic gameplay as the BFers series, even if it has cool SW accoutrement. Good to know. Nothing in the pipline that long, on the same system as BF 1 could be anything other than swapped models and new VAs.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
My money says they're gonna sit on the next Battlefield game for when the guys who did Titanfall try to release a third one. Really work on making it the most powerful 'fuck you' they can muster.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Bloody good idea. A new release every year is a pretty tight schedule, with a breakout hit like One it's a smart move to rest on the laurels a bit and plan what will hopefully be a worthy next chapter

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
gigastar said:
Well... Battlefront is a Battlefield wearing a Star Wars skin, so does it really count as not a Battlefield?
If that were true, people would actually like Battlefront.

Zulnam

Feb 22, 2010
They won't release BF 2143 any time soon. They're saving that gem for 1 week before Titanfall 3.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Paragon Fury said:

Make it happen DICE.
Honestly, if 2143 was going to happen anytime soon, it was going to be right where BF1 is now sat.

The whole market was pointing towards another futuristic shooter with the next BF game. Y'know, we had Advanced Warfare, Black Ops 3, now Infinite Warfare, Titanfall, Titanfall 2, Halo 5, hell, even Battlefield 4 was teasing 2143 with its last DLC. Everywhere you looked was futuristic, and big AAA games like this tend to follow trends, but I saw posts everywhere, across many different forums, that people were tired of the sci-fi shooter, and it seems that DICE saw that and went full steam ahead. Brutally, with the (unexplained) instant backlash that Infinite Warfare got when it was announced, and the (unexplained) instant praise that BF1 got when it was announced, I would say that the trend of the sci-fi shooter has rolled over for now, and I would be very, VERY surprised if the next Battlefield game was anything other than a Battefield 1 sequel.

Honestly though, I think that it is a huge shame. I love sci-fi games, because the sandbox just becomes so much more interesting that way. You can play around with so many mechanical differences between the weapons to really make them unique, even simple ones like whether a gun is hitscan vs ballistic, or whether you have to reload, or just let it cool down, or just whether you need to charge it up before firing; you cant really do any of that when you're confined to only be working with M1 Garands or AKs. Not to mention cool abilities like jetpacks or invisibility.

I just think that it is a huge shame, really.

senaji

Sep 28, 2014
Battlefield has never been an annual license and in addition, BF1 has a season pass spread out over the year 2017. The next episode maybe in 2019! We shall see what they reserve for us!