EA Changes Origin Terms of Services, Forbids Class Action Lawsuits

Bradeck

Sep 5, 2011
I want so bad to reference episode 59 from ATHF, but I can't find a fitting video. So instead, here's the contract Carl agrees to when he enters the contest.

Meatwad: See what you win Carl!
Carl: [rips off the bottom of his cup and reads slowly] Uh... tonight you will get your dick ripped off.
[pauses]
Carl: That doesn't sound right does it?

thirion1850

Aug 13, 2008
Nice. On top of being general fags, lets bully the people we already bullied into using our shitty platform for no reason what's so ever.

And then get away with it.

Dirty peasants.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
To date, EA's meddling is the only reason I can't stand the existence of Battlefield 3. That's sad. The day a quality game dies because the publisher kept fucking it up for them is the day gaming itself crumbles. But then I remember, oh wait, Battlefield 3 is a military first-person shooter. AND NOTHING OF VALUE WAS LOST

EverythingIncredible said:
Why is this legal?

No, seriously. Why is this legal?
Because Palpatine made Queen Amidala sign a treaty to make it legal.

Glerken

Dec 18, 2008
Abandon4093 said:
First sony, then EA. Great, pretty soon every mother fucker and their dog will be doing this.

You know what, fine. If they can put in a clause that stops them from getting sued. Then we should do the same. I won't fucking sue you guys if you don't sue me. Mutual unfucking sueingness.

Somehow I don't see this gits giving up that right.
"You understand that by this provision, you and EA are foregoing the right to sue in court and have a trial by jury." Furthermore, "You and EA agree that each may bring claims against the other only in your or its individual capacity, and not as a plaintiff or class member in any purported class or representative proceeding."
They do say that actually.
And it's not that the company and consumer can't sue each other, it's that a class action lawsuit is forbidden.
As an individual you can still sue the company.

So.... yea. Some people either aren't reading the article, or don't understand it.

salinv

Mar 17, 2010
On the bright side, if you can't sue EA, they can't sue you. Unless I missed something...

Venereus

May 9, 2010
Glerken said:
Abandon4093 said:
First sony, then EA. Great, pretty soon every mother fucker and their dog will be doing this.

You know what, fine. If they can put in a clause that stops them from getting sued. Then we should do the same. I won't fucking sue you guys if you don't sue me. Mutual unfucking sueingness.

"You understand that by this provision, you and EA are foregoing the right to sue in court and have a trial by jury." Furthermore, "You and EA agree that each may bring claims against the other only in your or its individual capacity, and not as a plaintiff or class member in any purported class or representative proceeding."
And it's not that the company and consumer can't sue each other, it's that a class action lawsuit is forbidden.

So.... yea. Some people either aren't reading the article, or don't understand it.
Only that multi-national corporations rarely need to go class-action on their lawsuits because they're already big enough bullies. And average Joe consumers don't stand a chance suing on their own against multi-national corporations. Yeah, that's not on the article but it's pretty obvious, and you seem oblivious to it... How much are they paying you?

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I see EA and Activision are back in the "Oh yeah, you think that's evil? Get a load of this!" game again...

*sigh*...

No.

Seriously. No. Not going to do it. Not kidding. I want Mass Effect 3 so badly I can taste it, but I'm not putting up with this shit. No Origin, No EA. Tell your damn friends, this is too much.

Glerken

Dec 18, 2008
Venereus said:
Glerken said:
Abandon4093 said:

Only that multi-national corporations rarely need to go class-action on their lawsuits because they're already big enough bullies. And average Joe consumers don't stand a chance suing on their own against multi-national corporations. Yeah, that's not on the article but it's pretty obvious, and you seem oblivious to it... How much are they paying you?
Woah, I never remember writing that it wasn't a bad thing.
Little ol' me was just factually correcting another user.
Thanks for jumping to conclusions though!

rapidoud

Feb 1, 2008
Thank god my country (not US) protects me against absurdities like this, as well as the usual law clause that no T & S supercedes the law.

Heck, Sony removing otherOS from the PS3 was getting them a lawsuit if they didn't refund the purchase because it removed functionality believed to be there on purchase which is against the law.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Didn't.

Sony.

Just.

Try.

This?

And if I remember right, they backed out due to the waves of anger it made.

Dendio

Mar 24, 2010
It looks like this will become the standard protocol with most terms of service. Origins isn't the first to pick this up and wont be the last

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
This was the final straw for me. Uninstalling Origin as we speak. This is absolutely disgusting, and I cannot approve of or condone these actions in any way, shape, or form. Fuck off, EA.

Grayashton

Aug 3, 2009
ok.. so if your aged 17 and below, you can't legaly enter into a contract right? So.. just let a minor click the the button... problem solved!

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Kapol said:
EverythingIncredible said:
Why is this legal?

No, seriously. Why is this legal?
Because the corporations have their hands on the controls of most government agencies and most consumer's don't care if the companies take away their every right as long as thing stay accessible to them? That seems to be the main reason to me.

I'm just waiting for EA to put something in the ToS for Origin saying that, if you use it, you are legally not allowed to use Steam.
In order for them to LEGALLY do that, they would have to pay fair market value for each of the games you would lose access to. Fair Market value would probably be defined as the current non-sale price of your library.

It would cost them more money to put it in that they would be able to make for a long time.

C117

Aug 14, 2009
"There are some limitations; you're exempt from these restrictions if you happen to live in Quebec, Russia, Switzerland or the Member States of the European Union, which apparently take a dim view on allowing people to forfeit their legal rights with a blind click-through..."

Sweet! Living in Sweden rocks!

Sarah Frazier

Dec 7, 2010
Maybe if it was against FRIVOLOUS class-action lawsuits for small things like slow customer service or some minor fault in the console that colors everything blue or something. There still has to be room for massively compromising issues that affect hundreds of thousands of customers, such as any time current customer information gets leaked.

I do like the idea of the company also being restricted so they can't just round a bunch of people up to sue, or perhaps bringing their massive lawyer team down on one poor SOB's head. It just sucks that such restrictions have to be pushed into a five page contract at all because greedy capitalist will look for or create anything to exploit for money.