EA Changes Origin Terms of Services, Forbids Class Action Lawsuits

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
Haakong said:
As if I didnt have enough reasons already not to use it...

Is EA trying to go bankrupt?

QUESTION: Do I need an origin account to play EA games on xbox360 and ps3?
I wouldn't think so but it wouldn't surprise me if they updated those EULAs also to say the same thing.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
Not trying to pull the AA guns and hatred my way as I soar high above this one, but my current stance is this:

I've played shitty EA games back in the days when they were still ECA and the most powerful home computer gaming system was the C=64. Did I ever feel like sueing them for screwing me over or selling me sugar-coated crap? Certainly. Then again, playing video games has always been but a pastime activity to me (the occasional tournaments excluded), and so I age away thinking this: I want EA, Sony, Activision and the whole lot to put the money where my cravings are, and I want them to sell me games, and I want them to keep the servers running, and I want them to thwart any and all lulzy asshattery, no questions asked.

If it's about "We, the People" against some megalomaniac entertainment consortium selling us Soylent Green for breakfast, lunch and dinner, I'm all for it. If, however, more and more well-fertilized moldy grassroots "No you won't! Yes we can! Blockheads unite!" movements eat away at everything I enjoy, wanting to have decisive power over anything and everything they don't know jack about, binding capital and manpower to countering, rebutting and fighting their looney ends, hey, I'm all for new kickass EULA/EUALA/LALA.

After all, I usually buy a certain game title to point, click, drive, shoot away, and I don't fancy much of this "life is so harsh, corporations are evil" shtick. Do I fancy EA going all Origins on me now? No, I don't. Do I fancy Sony taking away Linux from the PS3? No, I don't. Then again, I got Steam installed, Desura and that darned Win some, Lose some LIVE! - and I certainly don't like the idea of installing more and more "marketplaces" and "distribution channels" on my gaming rig, but I really don't get the proper purpose of this whiney, fear-mongering anti-capitalist stance except that it poops diarrhea all over my sweet cherry pie. Take that Klassenkampf elsewhere, please. Try next galaxy, maybe.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
I really wouldn't mind seeing Anonymous do some "talking" with EA.
Maybe they could show to EA that they are doing something bad.

Oh well, I already decided I wouldn't buy any games that require Origin.

warfjm

Nov 14, 2007
Sorry EA, you wont be getting my money any more. This has crossed the line with me as a consumer. If I give you my information and you somehow lose it, I should be able to sue you for damages.

The same goes with Sony.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Glerken said:
Abandon4093 said:
First sony, then EA. Great, pretty soon every mother fucker and their dog will be doing this.

You know what, fine. If they can put in a clause that stops them from getting sued. Then we should do the same. I won't fucking sue you guys if you don't sue me. Mutual unfucking sueingness.

Somehow I don't see this gits giving up that right.
"You understand that by this provision, you and EA are foregoing the right to sue in court and have a trial by jury." Furthermore, "You and EA agree that each may bring claims against the other only in your or its individual capacity, and not as a plaintiff or class member in any purported class or representative proceeding."
They do say that actually.
And it's not that the company and consumer can't sue each other, it's that a class action lawsuit is forbidden.
As an individual you can still sue the company.

So.... yea. Some people either aren't reading the article, or don't understand it.
It stands to reason that as the provider, EA has less to lose than the customer does in the short term.
They can just take your money and then...they are no longer legally obligated to give you shit since they set the terms in the agreement and you can't sue them no matter how flagrantly they violate those terms.
Of course, one could argue that they won't do this often, or they will quickly get put down as word-of-mouth of their scam kills business. And that's where the customer's only logical response remains: DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH EA UNDER THESE TERMS.

In this case, the laws of economics can force EA to change their terms when legal laws fail.
They are still a for-profit business, so you can guess which law they absolutely MUST obey if they want to remain profitable.

theblackmonk90

Sep 28, 2010
Jumpingbean3 said:
theblackmonk90 said:
Quite frankly i'm disgusted that the Supreme Court has stated this kind of corporate bullsh*t is enforceable. Thank God I live in the UK.
The Supreme Court has always favoured Corporate Interest over the rights of the common man. What, did you think they voted against California's anti-games bill because of consumer rights?
No your right. The rights of Man were written by Martin Luther after all. Lets just say that I am very glad I do not live in the USA. Lol and you rebelled against us because of so called tyranny...

Mekado

Mar 20, 2009
AngryFrenchCanadian said:
Well, crap. Looks like EA hates my money. I was even thinking about buying Battlefield 3, but alas.
Why would you be worried about that ? it dosen't hold in Quebec...

They're still a-holes for doing this, but they can't touch us (yet! :p)

AngryFrenchCanadian

Dec 4, 2008
Mekado said:
AngryFrenchCanadian said:
Well, crap. Looks like EA hates my money. I was even thinking about buying Battlefield 3, but alas.
Why would you be worried about that ? it dosen't hold in Quebec...

They're still a-holes for doing this, but they can't touch us (yet! :p)
Yeah, I just saw it a few days ago, and since I've been playing the Open Beta, the game is just so good that, even knowing what Origin might do to my computer, I'm reconsidering buying the damn thing.

I have a weak resolve.