EA Chief Hates DRM

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
EA Chief Hates DRM

Here's a twist: EA boss John Riccitiello hates DRM.

"I don't like the whole concept; it can be a little bit cumbersome," the Spore [http://www.ea.com]."

Riccitiello and Electronic Arts have taken a lot of heat over the past year for the DRM built into some of its biggest recent releases, including failed to understand [http://thesims2.ea.com/] its need.

Despite the raging EA hatred that resulted from both the hard-nosed copy protection and the company's cavalier dismissal of complaints, Riccitiello maintained that game publishers have to defend themselves against piracy, and further, that people who don't like it are in fact simply failing to understand the need to combat piracy - or are pirates themselves. Claiming that without some form of protection, EA would be "in business for free," Riccitiello said, "I respect [DRM critics] for the success of their movement. I'm guessing that half of them were pirates, and the other half were people caught up in something that they didn't understand. If I'd had a chance to have a conversation with them, they'd have gotten it."

But he added that EA would be implementing new, relaxed account restrictions "any day now," which will allow users to deactivate one registered installation in order to activate another one. "There are different ways to do DRM; the most successful is what WoW [http://www.worldofwarcraft.com] does. They just charge you by the month," he said. "We're going to see an evolution of these things. I wish we didn't live in a world where we had to do these types of things. I want it to be seamless and easy - but I also don't want to have a bonfire of money."

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
John, here's where your metaphor breaks down: the difference with locks on doors and keys for cars versus DRM is that those are actual deterrents for theft. The difference is that you can't use the same key for everyone's door or car. As opposed to when someone with dishonest intentions cracks your awful DRM, which they can use on any version of the game, ever. It's the equivalent of you putting the same lock on every house in the neighborhood. No wonder it's not secure.

Don't give us that guilt-trip bullshit about how you "hate to do these awful things, but we clearly can't be responsible w/o them." You can't be bothered to put together a DRM which isn't a hassle for the honest user but is a hassle for the dishonest user. I get why most (see Stardock) publishers view DRM as necessary. You're trying to prevent theft. Unfortunately, you're approaching it in the same way the Three Stooges would to prevent it. Only, I'm of the opinion they'd do a better job.

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
But it doesnt stop the pirates? If DRM stopped the pirates I can see the logic and I wouldnt mind so much, but they cracked it open within hours so they couldnt care less about DRM. The only ones who suffer are people who actually bought tthe game surely

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
HobbesMkii post=7.74070.821223 said:
John, here's where your metaphor breaks down: the difference with locks on doors and keys for cars versus DRM is that those are actual deterrents for theft. The difference is that you can't use the same key for everyone's door or car. As opposed to when someone with dishonest intentions cracks your awful DRM, which they can use on any version of the game, ever. It's the equivalent of you putting the same lock on every house in the neighborhood. No wonder it's not secure.

Don't give us that guilt-trip bullshit about how you "hate to do these awful things, but we clearly can't be responsible w/o them." You can't be bothered to put together a DRM which isn't a hassle for the honest user but is a hassle for the dishonest user. I get why most (see Stardock) publishers view DRM as necessary. You're trying to prevent theft. Unfortunately, you're approaching it in the same way the Three Stooges would to prevent it. Only, I'm of the opinion they'd do a better job.

I wonder if he really stops at the escapist to read those comments.

But you do have a point.

Lt. Sera

Apr 22, 2008
Half of the people objecting to it were pirates and the other half just doesn't understand? Right, get real. I bought it, I understand DRM just fine and I do think that a mild DRM does hold a lot of effect in countering piracy.
Draconian type DRM however actually hurts the paying customer, something that is just fundamentally wrong. What I don't get is how he just doesn't understand that.

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
Random argument man post=7.74070.821245 said:
I wonder if he really stops at the escapist to read those comments.
Oh, I know he doesn't. But he doesn't have seem to have an e-mail listing at EA for the public to present ideas that oppose his, either. So posting it here is just as good. Better, probably, because there's some reaction.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
Melaisis post=7.74070.821655 said:
This will have a Mass Effect on future releases.
Ow... that hurts my soul.

Anyways, I can understand the necessity for DRM, but not to the point that EA has taken it.

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
Zinnnnnnnnggggggg!

I can picture you grinning to yourself as you wrote that :)

Intoxicated

Oct 15, 2008
So half of the people who complained were pirates? That doesn't make any sense at all.
Pirates had no reason to complain about the Mass Effect/Spore DRM, it made no difference at all to them.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Mel, please...stop with the puns!

that gamers who demanded less stringent DRM simply failed to understand its need.
We understand game companies want to combat piracy. That makes sense, piracy means they lose sales which means they lose money which, as a business, they want to make.

What we don't understand is why you couldn't come up with a better solution than the "Rent-a-game" DRM solution which frankly doesn't even work considering the amount of pirated Spore copies and cracks there are floating around the net. I mean really, CD-keys were better than this and they're years old.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Malygris post=7.74070.820918 said:
EA Chief Hates DRM

Here's a twist: EA boss John Riccitiello hates DRM.

"I don't like the whole concept; it can be a little bit cumbersome," the Spore [http://www.ea.com]."

Riccitiello and Electronic Arts have taken a lot of heat over the past year for the DRM built into some of its biggest recent releases, including failed to understand [http://thesims2.ea.com/] its need.

Despite the raging EA hatred that resulted from both the hard-nosed copy protection and the company's cavalier dismissal of complaints, Riccitiello maintained that game publishers have to defend themselves against piracy, and further, that people who don't like it are in fact simply failing to understand the need to combat piracy - or are pirates themselves. Claiming that without some form of protection, EA would be "in business for free," Riccitiello said, "I respect [DRM critics] for the success of their movement. I'm guessing that half of them were pirates, and the other half were people caught up in something that they didn't understand. If I'd had a chance to have a conversation with them, they'd have gotten it."

But he added that EA would be implementing new, relaxed account restrictions "any day now," which will allow users to deactivate one registered installation in order to activate another one. "There are different ways to do DRM; the most successful is what WoW [http://www.worldofwarcraft.com] does. They just charge you by the month," he said. "We're going to see an evolution of these things. I wish we didn't live in a world where we had to do these types of things. I want it to be seamless and easy - but I also don't want to have a bonfire of money."
This a-hole is really in the news alot lately isn't he? EA must be smelling blood in the air if they're actually deigning to talk to their customers. Unfortunatly he's full of corporate bullshit and nothing in there resembled an apology or an explaination. He says he "hates the DRM" but it's "Necessary". What a twat, thats the same arguement the Bush Administration has used to circumvent the justice system repeatedly and illegally spy on it's citizens and now EA is using the same inverted-terrorism they did.

"I respect [DRM critics] for the success of their movement. I'm guessing that half of them were pirates, and the other half were people caught up in something that they didn't understand. If I'd had a chance to have a conversation with them, they'd have gotten it."
What a smug, self satisfied mother this man is. Everyone who disagree's with you is ignorant or a pirate?

There is nothing in this world that infuriates me more then being condescended at. Does anyone have a list of the big titles being released that EA is backing/publishing? They're officially on a No-Buy list for me and I encourage you to do the same: don't pirate them, just don't PLAY them. I know the internet is full of Faux rage and angst, but I am genuinly offended and irritated by both this man and this companies behavior.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Amnestic post=7.74070.821962 said:
What we don't understand is why you couldn't come up with a better solution than the "Rent-a-game" DRM solution which frankly doesn't even work considering the amount of pirated Spore copies and cracks there are floating around the net. I mean really, CD-keys were better than this and they're years old.
Not only that, but also, THEY HAD CRACKED IT BEFORE THE OFFICIAL RELEASE DATE! Some copys got sent out early in Australia by about a week if I rememeber rightly - and the result was it being cracked about 4 days before the EU release date.

ElArabDeMagnifico post=7.74070.821465 said:
Hey he's right, I mean, my locks always explode after the 3rd time of use - then I buy a new lock.
And the lock jams up alot of the other doors inside your house even when you have a perfectly valid key, resulting in your bedroom being locked off from you.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Does anyone have a list of the big titles being released that EA is backing/publishing?
All Electronics Arts Games, published and/or developed, ever [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Electronic_Arts_games]

Wikipedia has the answer.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Looks like I can't buy Dead Space now, or anymore Command And Conquor/Battlefield games- OOHH or Left 4 Dead... that hurts. Or Mercenaries 2... any biggies I missed?

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
TsunamiWombat post=7.74070.822367 said:
Looks like I can't buy Dead Space now, or anymore Command And Conquor/Battlefield games- OOHH or Left 4 Dead... that hurts. Or Mercenaries 2... any biggies I missed?
Road Rash and Populous. ;D

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
TsunamiWombat post=7.74070.822367 said:
OOHH or Left 4 Dead... that hurts.
Get steam, buy it there - Valve developed it and even though Steam is a form of DRM, its nothing like SecuRom, EA Download Manager, or any of the other infinitely poor services/viruses EA publish with. Plus, they don't milk the customer for cash every opportunity they can.

That said, I couldn't tell if you were geninunely interested or just being cynical.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
I own an aweful lot of EA games ;\ Is boycotting even worth it? I was hoping to get Mercenaries 2 and Deadspace...

Maybe I got a little too hot under the collar- just, this and the Take Two story, WOW. The mans arrogance and condescension just hit a nerve, and I wanted to chew out his larynx. It really offended me- but I still want to play some of their games, so I dunno what to do. Just not buy them?