EA Closing Down Maxis's Main Studio

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Kotoriii said:
Next int line:

RIP Maxis. SimCity 3000, The Sims and 2, etc. will be dearly missed. Thanks EA, keep being the jerks you've always been.
Bioware: tell me about the rabbits, EA.

Oh well, another company eaten away. No real surprises here.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Coreless said:
Why are we even blaming EA for this? The Maxis GM and the development team was 100% at fault for the online only DRM, the smaller cities and broken simulation. Every decision that completely destroyed the game was their fault alone, in this case EA didn't have to do anything.

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/SimCity-Lucy-Bradshaw-Defends-Always-DRM-Says-EA-Didn-t-Force-It-Them-53694.html
I believe EA didn't force that on them about as much as I believe a wife with a black eye and broken jaw when she says she tripped and hit her face while her husband is standing over her shoulder.

On another note, from what I've heard they've shut down Popcap as well. So basically they crushed and gutted their most profitable subsidiaries and have now taken the final step of shutting them down and firing everybody. Because apparently EA is allergic to money.

faeshadow

Feb 4, 2008
Silentpony said:
Do we care? Are we caring about this?

I'll never understand how one minute we're all berating companies for their shit games, but then 'Oh no! Maxis please come back! We need more poorly received SimCity games!'

So either we gamers are masochists, or we're all in our own little Molyneux cycles about always wanted better but unable to let the bad go away.

I for one won't miss Maxis. So long, and I would say don't let the door hit you, but the servers are down and the doors won't load.
As another poster mentioned, we mourn what Maxis was before EA destroyed it. Save your disgust for EA.

And for those saying "Oh, goodbye Sims 2, SimCity 3000, etc." it's not like these games are going to disappear, and they haven't been supported for years, so...nothing really is changing with the old games. You can't miss games that aren't going away.

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
Honestly, before EA bought Maxis, their best work was done before they left Orinda, in 1994. EA acquired Maxis in '97 and the Sims (the original) wasn't published until 2000. Its success was the only thing that kept Maxis off the chopping block way back then.

Will Wright left Maxis around 2009, after the Spore disaster. Really the developer's been on life support since then, surviving by cranking out one Sims game after another. Honestly, it's a wonder they lasted as long as they did.

KaZuYa

Mar 23, 2013
Dark Ages of Camelot one of the best PvP and successful MMO's made, Made by Mythic.

EA buy Mythic

Do we get DAOC2? well yes but imagine DAOC in the Warhammer Universe! - Mythic almost drown under all the nerdgasims.

Game is released pretty much broken with most of the promised content cancelled or not included but manage to gain 750k+ subs heading towards a million.

So EA quickly fix the game and add a steady stream of content? No EA sack most of the dev team and let the game die a slow and painful death with small a infrequent updates caring little for balance in a PvP game.

EA close down Mythic

EA close down Warhammer Online.

F**K EA.

killerbee256

Aug 14, 2014
Mortuorum said:
Honestly, before EA bought Maxis, their best work was done before they left Orinda, in 1994. EA acquired Maxis in '97 and the Sims (the original) wasn't published until 2000. Its success was the only thing that kept Maxis off the chopping block way back then.

Will Wright left Maxis around 2009, after the Spore disaster. Really the developer's been on life support since then, surviving by cranking out one Sims game after another. Honestly, it's a wonder they lasted as long as they did.
True there was a stream of miss fires like "streets of simcity" that said I liked that game back in the day.

Holythirteen

Mar 1, 2013
Coreless said:
Why are we even blaming EA for this? The Maxis GM and the development team was 100% at fault for the online only DRM, the smaller cities and broken simulation. Every decision that completely destroyed the game was their fault alone, in this case EA didn't have to do anything.
Businesses lie for a living. Game devs owned by EA lie way more than others.

It's... sweet that you believe everything you read, but you really shouldn't.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
Another notch in EA's gun. Yet more IP that they'll end up sitting on and either never use or abuse, like Dungeon Keeper.

And they wonder why they are hated so much.

Timeless Lavender

Lord of Chinchilla
Feb 2, 2015
Wow. It is very sad indeed since I really love The Sims series. I hope that Maxis employees find jobs as quickly as possible.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Silentpony said:
Do we care? Are we caring about this?

I'll never understand how one minute we're all berating companies for their shit games, but then 'Oh no! Maxis please come back! We need more poorly received SimCity games!'

So either we gamers are masochists, or we're all in our own little Molyneux cycles about always wanted better but unable to let the bad go away.

I for one won't miss Maxis. So long, and I would say don't let the door hit you, but the servers are down and the doors won't load.
TTHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAANNNNK YOOOUUUUUUU!

Seriously, people LOVE the chance to hate on EA with very rose tinted nostalgia.

"Oh woe is me, Maxis is gone and I'm sad because I enjoyed a good game they made a decade ago. Curse you EA for closing a creatively and commercially underwhelming studio! CUUUUUUUURRRRSE YOOOOOOUUU!"

We don't need to keep companies that are shells of their former selves around just to appease our nostalgia boners. Please stop with the fake outrage.

Sincerely hopeful that those affected can find work soon, but realize that EA's influence negatively changed how Maxis made games. Why keep that around.

I bet you this year we'll see a Kickstarter to make a reprisal "Sims" game. Then we'll see how much people REALLY care.

Coreless

Aug 19, 2011
Holythirteen said:
Coreless said:
Businesses lie for a living. Game devs owned by EA lie way more than others.

It's... sweet that you believe everything you read, but you really shouldn't.
I think its cute that you would rather believe in a conspiracy theory then face the fact that your precious Maxis has been making dogshit games for a while now and are the ones to blame here. Not everything under the"big bad evil corporation" was their fault and you would have to be an idiot not to see that Maxis has been digging its own grave going all the way back to Spore.