EA Co-Hosts LGBT Event

blalien

Jul 3, 2009
Person321 said:
If they were in the business of fighting for human rights, I would applaud them. However, they are in the business of making REALLY bad distribution software and forcing it down our throats.
Can we, as a society, please straighten out our definition of "forcing down our throats"? EA's distribution software doesn't hurt you at all if you choose not to buy their games.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
To be fair to EA (if that's allowed) this is one thing they usually get right.

I don't think this is a rush for some good publicity, a) because EA have a good record on this, and b) because outwith the (mostly) enlightened and hallowed halls of the Escapist the gaming community isn't especially positive about "teh gay."

Well done, EA. +15 lightside. Shame about the +9001 darkside you score on a weekly basis.

GonvilleBromhead

Dec 19, 2010
Seems reasonable enough. Company's are large entities, and whilst parts might be level headed with a clear eye for good publicity through supporting progressive initiatives, other parts can be pant wettingly idiotic.

Squiddles

Feb 11, 2013
As a member of the LGBT community I usually like dicks, but sorry EA, you're still just a bit too much for me.

Heh, seriously though, I'm always happy to hear about large company support for the community at the end of the day.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Remember, anything good EA does is a PR stunt and anything bad they do is irredeemable, and you'll be fine. No long-held opinions under siege here!

Seriously though. EA still does horrible things to games, and that's what they spend most of their time on.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
doggie015 said:
Can this sweep the SimCity problems under the rug? Can EA generate enough good PR to keep doing the two things they love most? Find out on the next episode of 'Corporate Damage Control 101'!
God I hate those corporate pigs too, I can't believe they even went to such lengths as to travel back in time to support they LGBT community in February just so they could mitigate the fallout from SimCity in March! Even worse they went further back in time and won the award ?Best Places To Work For LGBT Equality? in 2012 by The Human Rights Campaign, those fiends!!!

f1r2a3n4k5

Jun 30, 2008
This may not be just PR. EA is a large company. As a result, they are naturally going to have a more diverse workforce. If I had to guess, there are LGBT workers at EA.

The diverse members of the workforce are naturally going to want to work on projects that interest them. And will naturally have more insight to bring to those projects.

Additionally, LGBT is a dramatically under-served market in video gaming (indeed, most instances of LGBT representation come from EA studios such as Bioware and Maxis). There is always money to be made in catering to under-served demographics.

Few things are entirely altruistic. But this is mutually beneficial news and should be welcome.