EA Exec: On-Disc DLC Complaints Are "Nonsense"

Tuxedoman

Apr 16, 2009
As unpopular as this may be, but the guy does actually have a good point that he's making. Having some of the newly made content on disk in order to keep download sizes down, or to help integrate new content into the gamer easier is -not- a bad thing, and no doubt people would jump on the hate train if a news outlet spun that in a negative light.

Thing is, there are many examples of studios withholding content that was on disk that should have been a part of the base game. The game should either have been delayed, or the dlc should have been included as a 'free content!' buzzword mubo jumbo in order to make the devs seem light generous saints.

Mass Effect 3 is one example of this. Jarvik had so many -critical- interactions throughout the game that added a lot of context, and that was almost entirely on disk.
Capcom's done this many times too, though they were pretty shameless about it. Including full characters on disk that could be played without hassle before the dlc was released? Yeah, thats pretty shitty.

Once again, both sides are missing eachothers points because no one in this world really seems to communicate properly. Peter More needs to take the complaints critically and look for what they're stemming from, while gamers (as a whole) need to not blindly hate something without taking a step back and reading whats actually being said.

wAriot

Jan 18, 2013
Nowadays it's hardly "on-disc" anymore. It's more "on-data". You download it, but can't use it unless you pay an extra fee. It's effectively taking up space in your drive for no reason.
Because of this, I'm on the side that believes this kind of DLCs are a horrible way of selling them, specially when they are quite heavy in size. It may only be a few extra gigs, but I'm someone who has problems with data capacity frequently.

Zefar

May 11, 2009
I still find Capcom, Square Enix, From Software and Activision to be worse than EA are.

Capcom for milking the hell out of Street Fighter franchise and people are complaining that EA did it with Battlefield 3 and 4.

Square Enix for not caring about quality in their ports of Final Fantasy games and basically refuses to improve them.

From Software to release a sequel to one of my most favorite game and only to make it a shitty one. Then they release DLC which in turn are bundled together to an entire game where they supposedly changed around the monster locations and other stuff. Rather than you know, fixing the game they first released. This game is also separated from the original DS2 version as well.
Then they betray us with BloodBorne and release it only for PS4 because they took money from Sony. So us supporting them on PC meant nothing. Oh and DS2 has a FPS issue where weapons degrade twice as fast on 60 FPS. Did they fix that? NOPE. They have also been known to file DMCA against the Dark Souls Fix as well. Are they that hurt that someone did a better job than they did in one week to patch their old game? :/

Activision because they standardized the $15 DLC and has lowered the bar for online FPS games by lowering the FOV and no dedicated servers which a lot of companies copies.

So EA are all of sudden pretty good.
DLC on disk at this point is moot because I download all the stuff through Steam anyway. Even if I haven't purchased the DLC.
With Battlefield series as of lately I know I'll get all of the DLC if I buy the Premium which also gives me a lot of other goodies. It's a good price for it too and it doesn't take long for the game to drop in price.
But DICE are the ones coding BF series and not EA.

AgedGrunt

Dec 7, 2011
RJ 17 said:
The issue with that statement is that all the adjectives used to describe both the Calculator and Javik are entirely subjective. The completely objective link that makes it a fair comparison is that the Calculator comes built into the Windows OS, just as Javik comes built into ME3. The difference: MS doesn't charge you $10 to have the Calculator show up and be usable, EA did this with Javik.
Neither Javik nor calculator is essential; let's forget about that. Calculator could be better compared to a feature, something that you can use in a unique way that improves functionality and usability.

Moreover, a calculator is a basic tool that's been around for ages (including Windows OS) while you're comparing it to a minor fictional character someone created for the third game in a video game series, and it was decided not to be included in the base game. That would be better compared to a new feature released in Windows 10, taken out, then only made available for additional cost.

So to make your analogy work you'd have to compare the calculator program to something that's always been in Mass Effect, at least.