EA Exec Says In-Game Advertising Doesn't Pay Off

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
I think I saw it said here on the Escapist in your marketing articles said very well:

Marketing is most effective when it is subtle.

A billboard splayed out proudly within a game is anything but subtle. But something like the Dr. Pepper thing - much better. Primarily also, I think, because it approaches the thing from the better perspective.

People who play games usually don't have much political fervor, so why do they care about Barack Obama's ad? However...everyone likes a good drink now and then, so why not Dr. Pepper, since you know that you can get something nifty within the game too? (the things that matters to gamers a bit moreso than politics at the end of the day)

Saucycarpdog

Sep 30, 2009
shaboinkin said:
They need to realize, when someone is actively engaged in playing an intense match of [insert game here], there really isn't much to get them distracted. So putting an ad in the middle of a firefight isn't the smartest thing to do. They are too worried about not dying rather than worrying about New Coke, or whatever they were trying to advertise.

I remember playing Battlefield 2142 and I saw a billboard advertising an Intel Core 2 Duo...wait, it's 21..42. Not 2007.
It can kinda break immersion if you really get into a game.
You do realize there is a little bit of irony in your post. The fact that you can remember the ads somewhat proves that it worked.

shaboinkin

Apr 13, 2008
Saucycardog said:
shaboinkin said:
They need to realize, when someone is actively engaged in playing an intense match of [insert game here], there really isn't much to get them distracted. So putting an ad in the middle of a firefight isn't the smartest thing to do. They are too worried about not dying rather than worrying about New Coke, or whatever they were trying to advertise.

I remember playing Battlefield 2142 and I saw a billboard advertising an Intel Core 2 Duo...wait, it's 21..42. Not 2007.
You do realize there is a little bit of irony in your post. The fact that you can remember the ads somewhat proves that it worked.
I think it was more of the remembering an ad for a cpu in 2007, in 2142 and I...GAHH SHUT UP!

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Citrus Insanity said:
In-game ads have always had the opposite effect they were intended to on me. I'd see some out-of-place ad in a game, find it distasteful, and then as a result find the product distasteful as well.
A lot of marketers don't seem to realize that, unlike publicity, there is such a thing as bad marketing. Attach a negative connotation to the product you're pushing and you've not only wasted your money, you've harmed the very business you're trying to promote.

Gindil

Nov 28, 2009
VondeVon said:
*Blink*

When were those days ever here? I know I can be a contrary little madam at times, but seeing an in-game ad is more likely to make me think negatively of that product than anything else.
Yeah...

I remember Need for Speed Underground 2 where every last street Corner was a Burger King or Pepsi sign.

I've never played the game since.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
ssh00 said:
Tom Phoenix said:
rembrandtqeinstein said:
If I ever pay for a game and later find out it has advertising I will return it as defective.
Preety much. I am not willing to pay $60 for the privilege of being shoved advertisements down my throat. I already have to deal with that every time I watch television or go outside.

Anyway, this isn't anything suprising. I could have told Cousens that in-game advertising wasn't worth it three years ago. Customer is law and there is nothing beneficial for the customer when it comes to in-game advertising.
While you may pay for your software, a growing number of consumers are not. Hence, developers are forced to inject advertising, etc. into software to generate revenue to *pay* for their efforts.
Except punishing your paying customers is not the solution and only serves to drive them away, thus only further dwindling the low profits you are already making. Not to mention that this excuse falls flat when you consider that consoles do not suffer from high piracy rates and that quality titles will sell regardless of piracy.

Is piracy a problem? Certainly. But there are far better solutions than in-game advertising.

dcrane said:
Tom Phoenix said:
rembrandtqeinstein said:
If I ever pay for a game and later find out it has advertising I will return it as defective.
Preety much. I am not willing to pay $60 for the privilege of being shoved advertisements down my throat...
I take it you haven't been to a movie theater lately. Me, the kids, plus popcorn = $50 and I still have to sit through the corporate commercials and trailer commercials before the damn movie starts.
It's not like that is a recent trend. :p But yes, I haven't been to the cinema in a long time and that is certainly one of the reasons (although I always thought of trailers as a good excuse for a bathroom break :p). The other is that there really aren't that many good movies to watch nowadays.

And then the movie industry wonders why they are doing so poorly...

psrdirector said:
Tom Phoenix said:
rembrandtqeinstein said:
Preety much. I am not willing to pay $60 for the privilege of being shoved advertisements down my throat. I already have to deal with that every time I watch television or go outside.

Anyway, this isn't anything suprising. I could have told Cousens that in-game advertising wasn't worth it three years ago. Customer is law and there is nothing beneficial for the customer when it comes to in-game advertising.
assume you dont play xbox live then, its got ads all over the dashboard.
Your assumption is correct, I do not use Xbox Live. Well, to be honest, I don't even have an Xbox 360. But even if I did, I would still not use Xbox Live.

I find it kind of sad and pathetic that Xbox players are forced to pay $60 just to be able to play online, only to still be forced to deal with advertisements and 12-year olds (or, rather, people who act like 12-year olds) with foul mouths.

Anyway, I consider in-game advertising to be one of the deadliest sins in gaming and I will stay away from any developer who merely just contemplates using it, let alone one who actually does so.

mr-fix_it

Apr 15, 2009
Never really liked game ads that mutch but they didn't directly bother me until when they are stupidly out of place (When I was playing splintercell convintion their was recruiting billboards for joining the swedish army in swedish in game taking place in amerika so I was like WTF).

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
I've permanently stopped buying every product I've ever seen an in-game add for except Coca-Cola. I'm addicted to Barq's root beer, so...No hope there.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
shaboinkin said:

If anything, the player would begin to associate getting shot at with whatever product is being shoved in their face, which isn't good marketing.

I haven't actually encountered in-game advertising, and hope that I never will.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
As long as it's done creatively or not so obnoxiously "in your face", I have no problem with self-promotion in a video game (like other EA products showing up in an EA game, for example).

It's when I see shit like the product placement on the soda machines in Bionic Commando (Pepsi, was it? I completely blocked the memory out just to spite them it seems) that it goes beyond tasteless and starts pissing me off.

Hashime

Jan 13, 2010
Can he remove the repulsive wind mobile billboards from Burnout Paradise? Or how about the gillette vans?