EA Gets Tough With Edge Games

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
You can do it, EA! Kick Langdell in his big hairy balls!

Ahem. Sorry, I just loved Happy Gilmore.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Hahahahahahahaa! EA are becoming the good guys! Wow, that's... Awesome. Maybe next they'll sell off the yearly sports franchises and use the frankly silly ammounts of cash they'd get on original games.

Of course, there's about an equal chance of Activision games being made for fun any more...

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
What? EA actually doing something...good?! THE ENTIRE FABRIC OF TIME AND SPACE WILL BE RIPPED TO SHREADS!!! AHH! IT'S HAPPENING NOW.

*holds out hand*

No, wait, it's just rain. False alarm.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Good. That psycho loony shithead Langdell deserves to take it in the ass by EA.

*Flips middle finger* Fuck you to hell Tim Langdell!

hansari

May 31, 2009
Malygris said:
"This petition by EA is clearly a desperate attempt by EA to see if they can win the right to use Mirror's Edge by forcibly removing Edge's legitimate rights to [the trademark] Edge. None of EA/Dice's claims in its petition have any basis in fact and their petition is thus certain to fail."
No Langdell...EA has more than enough money to take care of this...judging by their statements made earlier in this article, this is a PR stunt.

One that will probably bode well for the publisher considering how much angst Langdell has garnered.

Malygris said:
Dr. Langdell
Seriously? What does he have a PHD in? [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_professional_degree#Professional_degrees]
fix-the-spade said:
Perhaps every developer in the US should release a co-developed game called Edge, or to be really obtuse, Ej? Langdell would explode in a cloud of righteous indignation and bile...
The villain in Modern Warfare 3 should be named "Hedge"...but with the "H" silent as they are in some countries. (I think that is a loophole...)

Jhereg42

Apr 11, 2008
Unfortunately, the idea that Edge Games will loose their basic trademark is in question. I just looked at their site and Langdell has taken some steps to make it look like Edge is actually developing games. Of course, I'm not sure games developed for the 360 or PS3 are all that easy to port to the iPhone as the list suggests. . . but I'm not a programmer. I could be wrong.

Racers for Wii, PS3, 360 and PC
Mythora 2 ("5 years in the making") - DS, iPhone, PSP, PS3, 360, Wii
Teenage Wasteland - PC, PS3, Wii, PSP, DS, iPhone
And the infamous Mirrors - PC, 360, PS3, Wii, PSP, DS, iPhone.

Considering I've been to this web site like 2 weeks ago and just noted the change today, I think it is safe to say that Mr. Langdell is very much aware of what he needs to prove at this patent hearing.

http://www.edgegames.com/

Jul 9, 2008
Chipperz said:
Hahahahahahahaa! EA are becoming the good guys! Wow, that's... Awesome. Maybe next they'll sell off the yearly sports franchises and use the frankly silly ammounts of cash they'd get on original games.

Of course, there's about an equal chance of Activision games being made for fun any more...
One step at a time, friend. One step at a time.

Kwatsu

Feb 21, 2007
What are Edge claiming "Mirrors" to be, anyway? There's nada about it on their website, and clicking "pre-order" pops up an email to "express interest".

Also, RACERS, a game they're claiming to have released recently, doesn't seem to have any reviews attached to it at all.

This is intriguing too: http://chaosedge.wordpress.com/2009/09/09/the-myth-behind-mythora/

internutt

Aug 27, 2008
EA. A generation ago they were the gamers most hated company. Now in this generation they have completely changed.

EA are awesome now!

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
Jhereg42 said:
Unfortunately, the idea that Edge Games will loose their basic trademark is in question. I just looked at their site and Langdell has taken some steps to make it look like Edge is actually developing games. Of course, I'm not sure games developed for the 360 or PS3 are all that easy to port to the iPhone as the list suggests. . . but I'm not a programmer. I could be wrong.

Racers for Wii, PS3, 360 and PC
Mythora 2 ("5 years in the making") - DS, iPhone, PSP, PS3, 360, Wii
Teenage Wasteland - PC, PS3, Wii, PSP, DS, iPhone
And the infamous Mirrors - PC, 360, PS3, Wii, PSP, DS, iPhone.

Considering I've been to this web site like 2 weeks ago and just noted the change today, I think it is safe to say that Mr. Langdell is very much aware of what he needs to prove at this patent hearing.

http://www.edgegames.com/
Actually that information has been there a while. When Shamus posted about Tim's efforts to sue Mobigames I noticed all of that. All their software appears to just be vaporware. There are no real screenshots or video demos available for any of the games they have mentioned. The bit with "Mirrors" has been there for months as well.

bonnero

Apr 15, 2009
internutt said:
EA. A generation ago they were the gamers most hated company. Now in this generation they have completely changed.

EA are awesome now!
When the dust settles EA will be back on the douche list don't you worry.
The whole Edge thing kind of passed me by, I'd not played any games with Edge in recently, all I could think of when seeing this discussion was whether they'd sued pizza hut and U2 as well. both have The Edge in them, but I doubt they give any sort of money for the "copyright" of the word.

internutt

Aug 27, 2008
bonnero said:
internutt said:

EA are awesome now!
When the dust settles EA will be back on the douche list don't you worry.
The whole Edge thing kind of passed me by, I'd not played any games with Edge in recently, all I could think of when seeing this discussion was whether they'd sued pizza hut and U2 as well. both have The Edge in them, but I doubt they give any sort of money for the "copyright" of the word.
Its not just that they are getting rid of a patent troll a guy who managed to patent the word EDGE 20 years ago and hasn't done anything with it for decades. EA are suing him because he isn't using the name to make games, he's using it to STOP people making games.

Also, picking up Brutal Legend when they were dropped by Activision, then being sued by Activision was pretty sweet. Activision didn't want the game so were stupid to try and sue EA for picking it up in the first place. They've been pretty good in general recently.

Sorry, my writing is pretty poor tonight. Hopefully you get what I'm on about.

Stormz

Jul 4, 2009
I certainly hope EA wins this, I support them all the way. This whole edge deal is beyond ridiculous.

Kiefer13

Wizzard
Jul 31, 2008
I never thought I'd hear myself say this but...Go EA. Grind the pretentious git into the dust.

Supreme Unleaded

Aug 3, 2009
So now EA is officialy amazing and Activison is pure evil, i think the world is litteraly turning upside down. But Tim deserves it just for being a prick, now lets sue the pants off of him.

Jhereg42

Apr 11, 2008
Monshroud said:
Actually that information has been there a while. When Shamus posted about Tim's efforts to sue Mobigames I noticed all of that. All their software appears to just be vaporware. There are no real screenshots or video demos available for any of the games they have mentioned. The bit with "Mirrors" has been there for months as well.
I must have followed a strange link, then. Last time I looked at it was not that long ago, and while it mentioned Mirrors the site was set up differently and didn't have a nice flash opening at the beginning. Either way, I suspect most of it is vaporware as you said. I was just noting that is he can prove he is working on something his trademark on his company name will likely remain valid.

irrelevantnugget

Mar 25, 2008
hansari said:
The villain in Modern Warfare 3 should be named "Hedge"...but with the "H" silent as they are in some countries. (I think that is a loophole...)
'Aaaaaye. 't Is that I prefer Sonic dee 'Edgehog tho.

Aw shucks.