EA Hit With Two New SecuROM Lawsuits

Salonista

Nov 11, 2008
This page has the lawsuits laid out (there are four, actually, one for Mass Effect PC also), as well as law firm contact info:

http://www.reclaimyourgame.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=section&layout=blog&id=17&Itemid=57

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Good, lets hope that precedent is set by these cases, and DRM (intrusive DRM that is installed without prior warning) will be removed.

Unfortunately, this still means that companies can use harmful DRM like SecuRom, just having to tell people about it beforehand.

Credge

Apr 12, 2008
Jumplion said:
Call me a pessimist, but this won't change anything.

But, oh, how I would love to be wrong on that.
Change any of what? EA is losing a ton of money over SecuRom and are slowly realizing it. Lawsuits that they will lose, SecuRom royalty fees to Sony, loss of fan base/loyalty... All of this comes back. They may not change their tude, but stocks show that consumers aren't happy.

Ameatypie

Nov 7, 2008
Lololol - I think EA deserve it. The fact that they released Spore and its security was... well... there was not really any. Free to pirate by all basically - funny stuff :D

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Another impending Crusader Strike to EA's desecrated wallet.

Shit like SecuROM needs to be banned.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
Good. I'll give you, some DRM is necessary for any money to be made, but with the extent EA has been taking it recently, if someone doesn't stop them they'll only get worse. Who knows, maybe eventually they'll publish DRM that makes it so you can't even install the game on a single computer. You jsut get to own the disc.

SmilingSilence

Sep 25, 2008
and to think I actually once wanted to work for EA... glad I dodged that bullet.

EA is paranoid. that's pretty much the only explanation for why they're going nuts trying to secure every game they sell. Spore and Mass Effect both require validation every ten days, and now all this crap with SecuROM and whatnot... like a couple of you guys have said before, they're just shooting themselves in the foot with all of this. with each new "security measure", there's just going to be a plethora of new lawsuits and hackers who try and get around the security lining up outside EA headquarters.

This won't stop EA though. they'll just find ways to justify the security to get around the lawsuits, and then they're just going to add even more security to the games to keep people from pirating. it wouldn't surprise me in the least to find out tomorrow morning that the next big EA game requires credit card validation every time you so much as look at the icon on your desktop.

and its not like EA's games are even WORTH the security half the time. Spore and Mass Effect were both alright, but those are literally the cream of the crop when it comes to the overall picture, and they're nowhere near the kind of caliber that would justify everything EA has put behind them.

meatloaf231

Old Man Glenn
Feb 13, 2008
You know what? SecuROM and DRM are like STDs. They're hard to spot early on, difficult to get rid of, screw you over, and you get very upset at the person who gave them to you.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
fish food carl said:
xitel said:
Good. I'll give you, some DRM is necessary for any money to be made, but with the extent EA has been taking it recently, if someone doesn't stop them they'll only get worse. Who knows, maybe eventually they'll publish DRM that makes it so you can't even install the game on a single computer. You jsut get to own the disc.
That is becoming a severe possibility, if not a probability.
Which is why we need to stop it. What about the good old days, when games were sold on floppy disks in plastic bags? And now I feel old again. ARGH! I'M NOT EVEN OLD!

N-Sef

Jun 21, 2008
This is exactly why I'm staying away from EA. It's also a shame, they won't be getting a sale out of me for Red Alert 3.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
EA was the prettiest girl at the party. But then she realized she was pretty, and whored around and abused her powers over men. Now she abuses guys for jewelry and gifts, and while the tail is sweet, guys who doit are starting to feel itchies down there.

Elurindel

Dec 12, 2007
So, we've had the rats fleeing the sinking ship, and now the sharks have started circling. How long before the whole thing just gots under and is torn to shreds?