EA Joins Gay Marriage Coalition

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
EA Joins Gay Marriage Coalition

EA has signed an amicus brief asking to appeal the Defense of Marriage Act.

Love or hate EA, you have to admit that when it comes to LGBT rights and same-sex marriages, they've taken a strong public position. Whether in the form of <a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnaqGCY28_k>an "It Gets Better" video starring EA employees, <a href=http://www.ea.com/news/ea-celebrates-lgbt-pride-month>openly celebrating Pride month, or responding to <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116660-Anti-Gay-Email-Campaign-Floods-Electronic-Arts>an anti-homosexual email campaign, the company has refused to back down from a position of equal civil rights for all. Now the games publisher is hoping to put the issue before the Ninth Circut Court of Appeals via an amicus brief asking that the <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defense_of_Marriage_Act>Defense of Marriage Act be overturned as unconstitutional.

Under the Defense of Marriage Act, no state or political subdivision is required to recognize a same-sex marriage or union if it occurred in another state. DOMA was passed by a majority of both houses of Congress and signed into law by President Clinton in 1996. Many legislators, including Clinton himself, have since changed their position and advocated for DOMA's repeal.

The <a href=http://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastore/general/2012/07/11/12-15388_Amicus_Brief_70_Business.pdf>brief itself has been signed by several prominent US employers in a variety of fields, and also includes Google, eBay, Starbucks, CBS, Viacom, and Zynga among a huge list of companies, firms, trade organizations, and even cities. The case is drawing so much attention that <a href=http://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/content/view.php?pk_id=0000000591>this page was added to the Ninth Circut Court of Appeals website to keep the public appraised of current updates.

This isn't the first time an organization has called to have DOMA repealed, but it does appear to be the first time that the repeal request was made by so many prominent backers. Whether the effort succeeds or not, it's becoming increasingly clear that in a world where even Oreo Cookies are standing up for gay rights, DOMA and laws like it might not survive for much longer.

Source: Joystiq

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
The PR department for EA is spectacular. Practically the only reason they stay in business with the development, research, and testing teams being paid to fling poo.

Bravo, bravo.

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
EA is only being self-serving, they just want to retain the right to fuck all of us.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
While I am glad that EA seems to be not totally heartless, lets face it, it wouldn't be below them to be this outspoken just for PR.

Zachery Gaskins

Mar 29, 2011
Why is it that such things only get traction when corporations actively state their opinion?

Oh yeah, forgot, corporations are people now.

Xannidel

Feb 16, 2011
I want to say that I am happy that more people are joining these groups but with how poor EA has been with games these past few years and game franchises, I am unsure if this is them really trying to be sincere or if they are just trying to look better in the public's eye.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
Nantucket said:
Good on you EA.
Self-serving or not at least EA acknowledges this is the 21st century.
This.

I don't care if they're self serving or not, they are a big voice and more voices behind this ideal the better.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Zachery Gaskins said:
Why is it that such things only get traction when corporations actively state their opinion?

Oh yeah, forgot, corporations are people now.
Because in order for any movement to gain traction it needs organization. Few things are as organized as large corporations. Theoretically you could achieve the same results by organizing a coalition of you and hundreds of your closest friends, but that's obviously a lot harder.

Whereas a big company can throw support behind an issue instantly with no need to start up because they already have a bunch of people behind them.

Also: No EA. I'm not buying it. One of my friends asked why I didn't like EA for doing this while I did like Oreo, and the answer is that if you're not doing good at what your business is supposed to be doing, you get no credit for being a Good Person elsewhere.

Fappy

\[T]/
May 1, 2020
Country
United States
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
The PR department for EA is spectacular. Practically the only reason they stay in business with the development, research, and testing teams being paid to fling poo.

Bravo, bravo.
You went into my brain and stole my thoughts.

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
I don't see much benefit in saying "EA supports our cause".

Well they are big so that counts for something i suppose

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Jiggy said:
EA is only being self-serving, they just want to retain the right to fuck all of us.
This is only about marriage. They already had the right to fuck us all. >.>

Durgiun

Dec 25, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
EA: We're all about assholes.
http://www.filmgazing.com/images/britishness3.jpg

You sir. You. You're awesome. Put thine fist upon the young gentleman's and make this awesome moment complete.

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
Jiggy said:
This is only about marriage. They already had the right to fuck us all. >.>
Well, come on, even EA know that eventually they have to put a ring on it.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Jiggy said:
Yeah, who can let some good news rain on their EA hate parade? I feel like this [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHYFsTZOrb0&t=0m11s] about sums it up.

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Frostbite3789 said:
Jiggy said:
Yeah, who can let some good news rain on their EA hate parade? I feel like this [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHYFsTZOrb0&t=0m11s] about sums it up.
I don't know, tell me when you find the person who actually hates EA and wasn't just using the oppurtunity to make a joke.

jawakiller

Jan 14, 2011
... So now I should like EA? Fuck it, if EA wants people to like them then they're going about this all wrong. Yes it's all nice and sweet that they support gays and whatnot but at the end of the day, they're still a shitty company. It's not like them supporting homosexuals will suddenly make them better or less horrific. If anything, it just annoys people who, you know, actually buy games. I don't care if they're in favor of gay marriage, I care if they can make a good game without fucking me over.

Cause that should be their fucking job.

Ralen-Sharr

Feb 12, 2010
EA just can't win no matter what they do

Seriously I am willing to bet EA could cure cancer and give it away for free and people would still lay the hate on just as thick as ever.

Yes, EA does some dumb stuff and a lot of people hate them, but give the devil his due.

I wanted to quote this
jawakiller said:
... So now I should like EA? Fuck it, if EA wants people to like them then they're going about this all wrong. Yes it's all nice and sweet that they support gays and whatnot but at the end of the day, they're still a shitty company. It's not like them supporting homosexuals will suddenly make them better or less horrific. If anything, it just annoys people who, you know, actually buy games. I don't care if they're in favor of gay marriage, I care if they can make a good game without fucking me over.

Cause that should be their fucking job.
This is a perfectly valid reason for hating EA. If you feel screwed over by a publisher because they published a bad game, then that makes sense.

I just don't get it when people talk about how they love the games that EA publishes and yet they hate EA just because.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Ralen-Sharr said:

Seriously I am willing to bet EA could cure cancer and give it away for free and people would still lay the hate on just as thick as ever.

Yes, EA does some dumb stuff and a lot of people hate them, but give the devil his due.
Well...yeah?

A person isn't excused from one bad action because they take one good action. Life isn't math. One bad minus one good does not equal a wash. It just means someone has the capability of doin both.

Blade_125

Sep 1, 2011
This is a good example of why disgruntlement with a company should be voiced.

Of course this is self serving and a play at improving their image, but everything int he world is self serving. They realize that people are pissed off at them and are trying to do better to improve their image to improve sales. Everyone wins out in this situation.

Bravo to those voicing their displeasure with EA, and bravo to EA for listening.

Ralen-Sharr

Feb 12, 2010
shintakie10 said:
Ralen-Sharr said:

Well...yeah?

A person isn't excused from one bad action because they take one good action. Life isn't math. One bad minus one good does not equal a wash. It just means someone has the capability of doin both.
my point is that EA could do an entire face-heel turn and genuinely try to not be shitty and they'd still get hated, just because they are EA.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Ralen-Sharr said:
shintakie10 said:
Ralen-Sharr said:

Well...yeah?

my point is that EA could do an entire face-heel turn and genuinely try to not be shitty and they'd still get hated, just because they are EA.
There is literally no way to know that for a fact because EA hasn't done a complete face-heel turn. They've done some good and a ton of bad. Until the bad parts stop bein bad people will continue to hate them.

I just never understand this kind of argument. "Oh if such and such completely went contrary to how they've acted for the past x number of years goin completely in the face of logic they'd still be hated because of y things they've done in the past." No one ever does that. In the history of the world no one has ever done that.

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
Yes EA are assholes, but it's nice to see big companies support such things, even *if* it's just for publicity.

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Gearhead mk2 said:
While I am glad that EA seems to be not totally heartless, lets face it, it wouldn't be below them to be this outspoken just for PR.
And thus my point of view is laid out in its entirety before I can even type one letter.

Again.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Gearhead mk2 said:
Repealing DOMA is actually financially in their best interests. Any state where gay marriage is legal means that EA would be required to keep two sets of benefits books. One set for the federal benefits, and one set for the state benefits. It's a real big pain in the ass, and THAT'S why business is fighting DOMA.

AngryMongoose

Jan 18, 2010
So, I guess this announcement will improve Battlefields community while further blackening CoDs? Well played EA; well played.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
At least EA is doing something right.

Jiggy said:
You actually made me laugh. That's pretty witty.

Hat Man

Nov 18, 2009
Stop hiding behind gays EA.

I know you're only doing this to take attention away from how bad you are.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
I like how even when EA does something that people on these forums support, they still get flak for it. Also, this would be the worst PR stunt ever because the nation is heavily divided over the issue, meaning that no matter what side you choose, you're going to lose a bunch of customers.

Anyways, It's nice to see companies who are willing to take a stand on a controversial issue. It's something that doesn't benefit them that much since they offend someone, but it shows moral support. Taking that risk to support some group in what you think is right is wonderful.

Apr 5, 2008
Good call EA. Respect where it's due. If your business practices and customer services were half as tolerant and worthy as this attitude, maybe customers wouldn't associate your company with evil.

Why do US corprations get involved in politics anyway? It seems very odd for businesses to have political opinions, not to mention bad-for-business (presumably by alienating customers with opposing viewpoints?).

gardian06

Jun 18, 2012
vxicepickxv said:
Gearhead mk2 said:
Repealing DOMA is actually financially in their best interests. Any state where gay marriage is legal means that EA would be required to keep two sets of benefits books. One set for the federal benefits, and one set for the state benefits. It's a real big pain in the ass, and THAT'S why business is fighting DOMA.
Um wait a minute the act states that the company/state does not "have" to recognize the marriage meaning they can if they want to, not that it is illegal for them to do so.

Also its not a matter of them having to separate benefits plans as if they "chose" to not recognize the marriage then they just count that employee as single which is already a separate benefits plan.

the only way this straw man argument even makes sense is if they were trying to repeal an act that required all companies to offer benefits to spouses of married employees.

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
Who cares if EA supports gay rights or not. It's an attempt to try to salvage a reputation sullied time and time again every time they open their collective slobbering maws.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
So my Bartolomeo Shepard can marry Kadian and EA are ok with it?

Oh happy day!

gardian06

Jun 18, 2012
KingsGambit said:
Why do US corprations get involved in politics anyway? It seems very odd for businesses to have political opinions, not to mention bad-for-business (presumably by alienating customers with opposing viewpoints?).
either don't follow US news, or not living in US. reason because "corporations are people", and "corporations run politics" for explanation a bill is up for vote in either the house or the senate, and there will be countless lobbyist in DC offing politicians big money/deals to vote one way or the other.

the other reason is for pure image saying "look we all believe/support X, and if you believe/support X you should buy our products to support us"

Screamarie

Mar 16, 2008
Saviordd1 said:
Nantucket said:
Good on you EA.
Self-serving or not at least EA acknowledges this is the 21st century.
This.

I don't care if they're self serving or not, they are a big voice and more voices behind this ideal the better.
Not to mention, considering how active they've been in this matter in the past, I wouldn't be surprised if at least SOME of the intent is truly out of a good place.

Of course they realize that this is going to be good for image...but that doesn't necessarily mean they can't also want to help.

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
EA is only doing it for there own self serving needs to fuck consumers out of more money.As such this move does not impress me.

Ghonzor

Jul 29, 2009
While my opinion of EA will likely never change (because this has nothing to do with what they actually do as a company) at least they aren't like Chik-fil-A.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
Any ally is a good ally in the fight for LGBT rights. I despise EA, but this is good to hear. They have a shit ton of weight to throw around and I'm glad to hear they'll be throwing it at someone that deserves it for a change.

Call it self-serving if you want (and it very well may be, but who cares?), but this also has the potential to hurt their image as much as help it. It may be the 21st century, but there are a staggering number of ignorant people still out there. Look at how many people got pissed at Nabisco.

To celebrate this, they should really get on that whole "same-sex romances" thing in the Old Republic...

IndianaJonny

Mysteron Display Team
Jan 6, 2011
Will I ever here the phrase "Thanks, but no thanks" from the gay community over where 'support' for them comes from?

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
You know what. EA did something right. They dropped the archaic concepts of marriage and support people having equal rights to feel miserably shackled to their significant other. No matter their preference in partner.

Good on you EA. Now if you could please stop fucking me over I might actually support you once again.

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
OK... Credit where it's due; for a large company that usually acts like the spawn of the devil, this is a very good deed!

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
The customer base of EA is primarily young people (people up to early 40's and primarily 25-35 years of age). It's people older than that, that are the major opponents, or at least that's my estimate.

In other words, EA has very little to lose by doing this, compared to fx Oreos.

If Ford did this, I'd be impressed, but not EA.

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
This is pretty much their only hope. Make themselves look good for people who don't actually know them. Disgusting, taking advantage of this movement to look better.

MegaManOfNumbers

Mar 3, 2010
Actions speak louder than words, or in EA's case: Actions speak BETTER than words.

God help us if EA was only doing this as some publicity stunt. But it is nice to know some corporations are aware that this is the 21st century, no matter how retarded their marketing team is.

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Why should I leave EA to fight Doma when I can just use Alm and Catria? Alm has the Falchion and Catria's Top-Tier.
<youtube=KVtdBEZvCF0>

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
FamoFunk said:
Yes EA are assholes, but it's nice to see big companies support such things, even *if* it's just for publicity.
Lets just bring you up to speed. EA doesn't do anything unless its for publicity.

Sigilis

Nov 11, 2010
EA's support of this cause is a good thing. Of course, since they are a game publisher and not an advocacy organization this makes very little difference to me. I am not going to buy their products until they stop bundling them with restrictions and unhappiness (That I personally find to be too onerous to bother with). It is not surprising that they support marriage being extended to all when they themselves have not been shy about entering long term commitments with multiple partners. What is Origin but a ball and chain, after all?

Still, this particular piece of EA's policy I agree with. I very much like civil rights. Perhaps other corporations will see this and other worthy causes to extend the rights of the people to express themselves as the PR bonanza that they are and support them. It couldn't hurt.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
I'm all for equal rights and even if EA is just doing this to try and reverse the public perception of them, I approve. Still doesn't mean I'm touching Origin.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
I may despise EA for their business practices as much as the next guy, but credit where it's due, their liberal stance on gay rights is something I can say "Well done, son" to.

So; Well done, son.

Unsilenced

Oct 19, 2009
I wonder how EA's marketing will go about supporting gays coming out of the closet. I mean, we know how they like to advertise.

"Your mom will hate it."

On a more serious note, I'm actually finding it hard to be cynical and jackassy about this. Yeah, it's for publicity, but they still went about it in a way that seems... respectable. They didn't just have some guy in their company say "oh yah btw we support gays do you like us now?" They actually took the time to do something. That is decidedly un-scumbag.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
EA: We're all about assholes.
Ok, this was a good one DVS. :D

OT: Self-serving or not I'm glad to see they're throwing their weight to smash this thing to bits.