EA Lost More Money In Three Months Than You'll Ever Make

ZombieGenesis

New member
Apr 15, 2009
1,909
0
0
I'm not even going to pretend to understand how someone can publish as much crap (MASSIVELY popular, well selling crap mind) as EA does and still make a three-hundred million loss.
 

D_987

New member
Jun 15, 2008
4,839
0
0
mad825 said:
hm. This is also why no less DRM on games can be profitable as you don't need to spend much on the servers or third-party companies like Sony (DADC) to create it for you.
I don't think DRM has anything to do with the situation...

Zero_ctrl said:
I have a feeling The Old Republic is probably the biggest culprit in this.
It's a huge budget of a game, and if it fails, EA could be done.
Let's not over-exaggerate, EA might stop releasing new IP's [See Mirrors Edge, Dead Space, Dante's Inferno] but their sports games alone are selling in extremely high numbers, with little changes, year in, year out.
 

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
8,977
0
0
Oh no we ONLY made $1.053 billion instead of $1.243 billion! It must be those damn pirates! How can a company humbly survive of a measly billion dollars of revenue???
 

McNinja

New member
Sep 21, 2008
1,510
0
0
gmaverick019 said:
McNinja said:
I think it has something to do with The Old Republic. Didn't the game cost around $300 Million to make?

Also, once they get a well-made MMO out there, with the subscription, they will turn a profit.
hopefully this is true. by the looks of it they have at least a game purchase plus a month or two minimum from me.


psrdirector said:
I hope this doesnt allow apple to buy them out, that would be devistating the gaming industry
i might die if this happened
I might as well.

As for SW:TOR in terms of making money: just roll with this for a bit: 1 million people buy the game. That's $60,000,000. Then add in the subscription for three months. Tis makes it $120,000,000. The game will have to run with at least one million players for more than one full year to make up for the money it took to create it.

I'm sure there will be more than 1,000,000 people who buy the game and subscribe on launch, so I'll do more numbers then.
 

Zero_ctrl

New member
Feb 26, 2009
593
0
0
D_987 said:
Zero_ctrl said:
I have a feeling The Old Republic is probably the biggest culprit in this.
It's a huge budget of a game, and if it fails, EA could be done.
Let's not over-exaggerate, EA might stop releasing new IP's [See Mirrors Edge, Dead Space, Dante's Inferno] but their sports games alone as selling in extremely high numbers, with little changes, year in, year out.
I worded that incorrectly.
But yeah, that's basically what I was going for.

They'll have to stop taking as big of risks.
 

Alade

Ego extravaganza
Aug 10, 2008
509
0
0
So apparently the escapist claims I won't earn 332 million dollars in my whole life, easy challenge accepted.
 

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
3,975
0
0
Medal of Honor is probably what killed them. Though NFS was pretty awesome, so they are forgiven for MoH.
 

RollForInitiative

New member
Mar 10, 2009
1,015
0
0
Alex Pecha Vas Normandy said:
Well hopefully when Old republic gets released they will make up for it ASSUMING BIOWARE RELEASES IT IN THE NEXT DECADE
Oh, we will. I wouldn't worry about that.
 

Daemascus

WAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!
Mar 6, 2010
792
0
0
ZombieGenesis said:
I'm not even going to pretend to understand how someone can publish as much crap (MASSIVELY popular, well selling crap mind) as EA does and still make a three-hundred million loss.
Popular, well selling. Words not usualy associated with crap...
 

JeanLuc761

New member
Sep 22, 2009
1,479
0
0
AC10 said:
Oh no we ONLY made $1.053 billion instead of $1.243 billion! It must be those damn pirates! How can a company humbly survive of a measly billion dollars of revenue???
EA is huge, but a $332,000,000 loss is massive, no matter who you are. They lost nearly 25% of their revenue, which means they'll be unable to take as many risks in the near future.
 

JeanLuc761

New member
Sep 22, 2009
1,479
0
0
ZombieGenesis said:
I'm not even going to pretend to understand how someone can publish as much crap (MASSIVELY popular, well selling crap mind) as EA does and still make a three-hundred million loss.
So Dead Space, Crysis, Need for Speed, Burnout, Battlefield, Dragon Age, Mass Effect and all their sports games are all crap?

News to me.
 

Hosker

New member
Aug 13, 2010
1,177
0
0
Now I am going to make it a priority to earn $322 million dollars just to prove this thread wrong.

EA are a big company; that amount is probably pocket change to them ... probably.
 

CJ1145

New member
Jan 6, 2009
4,051
0
0
vrbtny said:
Piracy's fault.....

Hey, it's what they'll blame...
Can you blame them for blaming it?

But yeah, seriously. Comparing EA to Activision is like comparing Scrooge McDuck to plain ol' Ebenezer Scrooge. They're both money-hoarding entrepreneurs, but at least McDuck's a decent guy. Scrooge was pretty much the devil as a businessman before his little trip with the ghosts.
 

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
8,977
0
0
JeanLuc761 said:
AC10 said:
Oh no we ONLY made $1.053 billion instead of $1.243 billion! It must be those damn pirates! How can a company humbly survive of a measly billion dollars of revenue???
EA is huge, but a $332,000,000 loss is massive, no matter who you are. They lost nearly 25% of their revenue, which means they'll be unable to take as many risks in the near future.
Right, but they lost revenue. It's not like they're operating in the red, they still MADE a billion dollars.

I never got why business assume they can just infinitely grow and their profits will always "gain". If you think of the world on a macro level, there is only so much money and so many people willing to spend it. Sometimes you're up some times your down, so long as it's a positive revenue stream after operational costs I fail to see what the deal is.
 

dancinginfernal

New member
Sep 5, 2009
1,871
0
0
Alex Pecha Vas Normandy said:
Well hopefully when Old republic gets released they will make up for it ASSUMING BIOWARE RELEASES IT IN THE NEXT DECADE
IT'S SO CLOSE, YET SO FAR.

OT: Yikes, that's going to leave a mark. A considerable one.
 

anian

New member
Sep 10, 2008
288
0
0
It's kind of hard to tell what these numbers mean. If indeed such things as investment in future projects aren't considered, then the numbers are basically meaningless.

Might be this is just publicity, getting the name out. They have Bad company 2, Dead space 2, new Battlefield, new Dragon age and Mass Effect are coming really soon, they'll make up the money. <-- see that, publicity
 
Sep 14, 2009
9,073
0
0
McNinja said:
gmaverick019 said:
McNinja said:
I think it has something to do with The Old Republic. Didn't the game cost around $300 Million to make?

Also, once they get a well-made MMO out there, with the subscription, they will turn a profit.
hopefully this is true. by the looks of it they have at least a game purchase plus a month or two minimum from me.


psrdirector said:
I hope this doesnt allow apple to buy them out, that would be devistating the gaming industry
i might die if this happened
I might as well.

As for SW:TOR in terms of making money: just roll with this for a bit: 1 million people buy the game. That's $60,000,000. Then add in the subscription for three months. Tis makes it $120,000,000. The game will have to run with at least one million players for more than one full year to make up for the money it took to create it.

I'm sure there will be more than 1,000,000 people who buy the game and subscribe on launch, so I'll do more numbers then.
well just estimating a bit more, mass effect 2 sold over 2 million copies in the first week(i realize thats collective, being multi platformed, but just using it as a number).

so with that

2,000,000 - games sold
$120,000,000
three months for each person
$240,000,000


now thats all spitballing, but just saying, kotor had a decent sized fanbase (look at the mods alone) and if people love bioware as much as alot of them have been spouting, those COULD be accurate assumptions (notice i said could, not that they were or anywhere close)
 

aPod

New member
Jan 14, 2010
1,102
0
0
AC10 said:
JeanLuc761 said:
AC10 said:
Oh no we ONLY made $1.053 billion instead of $1.243 billion! It must be those damn pirates! How can a company humbly survive of a measly billion dollars of revenue???
EA is huge, but a $332,000,000 loss is massive, no matter who you are. They lost nearly 25% of their revenue, which means they'll be unable to take as many risks in the near future.
Right, but they lost revenue. It's not like they're operating in the red, they still MADE a billion dollars.

I never got why business assume they can just infinitely grow and their profits will always "gain". If you think of the world on a macro level, there is only so much money and so many people willing to spend it. Sometimes you're up some times your down, so long as it's a positive revenue stream after operational costs I fail to see what the deal is.
This is what has always confused me. When someone reports a loss of revenue as compared to the prior quarter it's not an actual loss of money but a loss in profit margin. Right?

Someone please explain that for me i'd appreciate it.
 

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
8,977
0
0
aPod said:
AC10 said:
JeanLuc761 said:
AC10 said:
Oh no we ONLY made $1.053 billion instead of $1.243 billion! It must be those damn pirates! How can a company humbly survive of a measly billion dollars of revenue???
EA is huge, but a $332,000,000 loss is massive, no matter who you are. They lost nearly 25% of their revenue, which means they'll be unable to take as many risks in the near future.
Right, but they lost revenue. It's not like they're operating in the red, they still MADE a billion dollars.

I never got why business assume they can just infinitely grow and their profits will always "gain". If you think of the world on a macro level, there is only so much money and so many people willing to spend it. Sometimes you're up some times your down, so long as it's a positive revenue stream after operational costs I fail to see what the deal is.
This is what has always confused me. When someone reports a loss of revenue as compared to the prior quarter it's not an actual loss of money but a loss in profit margin. Right?

Someone please explain that for me i'd appreciate it.
This is what I thought as well. Maybe I'm like WAY off the mark, I just program computers I don't deal with the business end of things in real life, never even took an econ class.