EA May Terminate Your Origins Account After Two Years

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Bara_no_Hime said:
Gindil said:
mad825 said:
*shrug*

So what? They don't even need a reason to delete an account and people are complaining about this!? Whos not going to access an account for 2 years anyhow?
*raises hand*

I have some old games I haven't touched in years. But then I come back to them after all my school, recent gaming, and I have an entirely new perspective. Old games are awesome.
Yes, but you've accessed your account... you've booted Origins up at all (let it run in the background, browsed for new games, etc) at some point in the last two years, right?

This isn't about playing a particular game - it's about playing ANY game, or thinking about playing a game, or shopping for games, or anything.
I havent accessed my Marketplace account in the last two years, should I have my games I payed £30/$60 for taken away from me? Fuck no. If you think this is okay, you quite blatantly have more disposable cash than you do sense, but hey can I have all your stuff you havent used in the past two years? I mean I should be allowed to. You don't own it anymore because you haven't touched it in the past two years. Yay, free shit for everybody. And if anyone asks for their stuff back, tell them to fuck off. They should've touched it in the past two years to maintain their ownership over it.

LiftYourSkinnyFists said:
Fact is, it's all data in a database for EA, they can't hold on to everything forever and in my opinion it wouldn't be play it even if they did delete it I mean come on... I bought doom over 10 years ago I don't actually use any part of the stuff I bought years ago.

Also, if you've not used your account in 2 years I mean seriously there's more than one game on there if you buy them and don't use them for that long or even just log in once you probably don't care about it much at all.
Same applies to you. I have PS1 games that I haven't played in years but I guarantee you I will go back and play them when I go back home from uni. They are still MINE and I should be allowed to play them anytime I choose to because I payed £30 for them, they're MINE.

bob1052

Oct 12, 2010
Bara_no_Hime said:
Gindil said:
mad825 said:
*shrug*

So what? They don't even need a reason to delete an account and people are complaining about this!? Whos not going to access an account for 2 years anyhow?
*raises hand*

I have some old games I haven't touched in years. But then I come back to them after all my school, recent gaming, and I have an entirely new perspective. Old games are awesome.
Yes, but you've accessed your account... you've booted Origins up at all (let it run in the background, browsed for new games, etc) at some point in the last two years, right?

This isn't about playing a particular game - it's about playing ANY game, or thinking about playing a game, or shopping for games, or anything.
The issue isn't whether or not you can prevent it from happening easily. The issue is that EA, who are providing the service, have set firm guidelines that basically says "we will undo every purchase you ever make with us if..."

If a disproportionate penalty is assigned to a law like littering you wouldn't, or at least shouldn't, simply make extra sure not to do it and get on with life, you would, should, try to get it fixed.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
Bara_no_Hime said:

This is the same thing.

You won't boot up origin if you don't plan of playing a game. So basically it is play a game once every two years or lose it forever. Why would I open Origin if I wasn't going to play a game?

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Snotnarok said:
Funny I didn't use my Steam account for about 3 years and when I logged in (remembered my password) I still had my games there. Strange how they let you keep your games.

This. All of this. Steam won't just go "sorry, WE MAKE MORE MONEY THIS WAY GUYS". They care about their customers a damn sight more than EA. This is why their established users are comfortable with trusting them. I didn't get Crysis 2 whilst it was on steam, and there's no way in hell I'm getting it now that it's on Origin. I have DA:2 however, and I load it up through Steam. Hell, I'm more comfortable using Stardock's Impulse than I am with Origin.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
SuperMse said:
mad825 said:
*shrug*

For something like this, yes they do. Why? Because all of your purchased games are on that account, and if they cancel the account, they have stolen from you.
So tell me, what law or act/bill prevents them from doing this?

They cannot "steal" as the content they provide over the client is the permission to use that software, if they feel like it they can deny you permission as it's their property that you are using. Any attempts to bypass that permission is illegal.
Gindil said:
mad825 said:
*shrug*

*raises hand*

You only need to login and not access the games, simply having an internet connection and auto start-up would be foolproof.

Sjakie

Feb 17, 2010
EA Origins: everything a perverted STEAM platform should not be!

TypeSD said:
back pain said:
This simply means that if your account is not been active for over 24 months EA will assume it is no longer in use and will delete it. Why are people so pissed off about this, to me it just sound like a company that's covering all it's bases.
Because you have PAID for games. you've Bought games from a company. They become yours. Just because you haven't logged in doesn't mean you don't still own them.
Not entirely true. You did not actually 'buy' anything:

We do not guarantee that any Content or Entitlement will be available at all times or at any given time or that we will continue to offer particular Content or Entitlements for any particular length of time. We reserve the right to change and update Content and Entitlements without notice to you.
This here is legal speak for: whatever you paid for from us: we can take it away from you at any given time and for whatever reason we see fit.

And since 'buying something' means that you accuire ownership for something which nobody can take away from you since that would be theft, yet EA does that and you agree with that if you clicked 'yes' when installing Origins. So basically you rented something (a game ofc.) and at most you purchased a legal right to use it for a time as long as the provider (EA) sees fit.

No sense getting exited about this. I am very sure that STEAM applies the same agreements in their EULA.
Keep buying your games through those platforms and you just sign your rights away.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Sjakie said:
EA Origins: everything a perverted STEAM platform should not be!

TypeSD said:
back pain said:
This simply means that if your account is not been active for over 24 months EA will assume it is no longer in use and will delete it. Why are people so pissed off about this, to me it just sound like a company that's covering all it's bases.
Because you have PAID for games. you've Bought games from a company. They become yours. Just because you haven't logged in doesn't mean you don't still own them.
Not entirely true. You did not actually 'buy' anything:

We do not guarantee that any Content or Entitlement will be available at all times or at any given time or that we will continue to offer particular Content or Entitlements for any particular length of time. We reserve the right to change and update Content and Entitlements without notice to you.
This here is legal speak for: whatever you paid for from us: we can take it away from you at any given time and for whatever reason we see fit.

And since 'buying something' means that you accuire ownership for something which nobody can take away from you since that would be theft, yet EA does that and you agree with that if you clicked 'yes' when installing Origins. So basically you rented something (a game ofc.) and at most you purchased a legal right to use it for a time as long as the provider (EA) sees fit.

No sense getting exited about this. I am very sure that STEAM applies the same agreements in their EULA.
Keep buying your games through those platforms and you just sign your rights away.

Yeah read my followup on the next few pages.

kidd25

Jun 13, 2011
back pain said:

delete all your games on it. its like being 15 buying tons of games, going to college and time passes you by, your out of college. Now go home and hey i forgot i had origin i still remember my password and my username lets play some old games I PAYED FOR... oh sorry dave i delete it all.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Ah, good old EA. Never failing to bring the Stupid Evil [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/StupidEvil].

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
mad825 said:
SuperMse said:
mad825 said:
*shrug*

For something like this, yes they do. Why? Because all of your purchased games are on that account, and if they cancel the account, they have stolen from you.
So tell me, what law or act/bill prevents them from doing this?

They cannot "steal" as the content they provide over the client is the permission to use that software, if they feel like it they can deny you permission as it's their property that you are using. Any attempts to bypass that permission is illegal.
Gindil said:
mad825 said:
*shrug*

*raises hand*

Not if you don't break the EULA. When someone buys a game from EA, that person also buys the lisence to use it. EA cannot take this away from you unless you break their EULA (that would be like selling someone a ticket to a movie and then kicking him or her out for no reason). If the games can only be played on Origin, deleting someone's account prevents that person from playing what he or she bought the lisence for, which I'm going to guess is legally sketchy. Look, I'm not gonna cite law to you, but even if it's not illegal, you seem to be saying that people shouldn't be getting upset about it. I
guess it's be totally okay for repo guys to take away any DVDs you haven't watched in the past two years as well, huh?

Ready2Go

Jun 7, 2010
I can see why thier doing this, but they should increase the time and make in so if you dragon age 2, then your origins accounts aren't deleted.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Clearly, EA is trying to protect you from the anticipated hacking attempts far FAR into the future by deleting account information.

Because as we all know, encrypted account information is soooooo expensive to maintain...
Oh wait...it isn't.

Joseph Alexander

Jul 22, 2011
and? valve does this too, they just don't put a date on it.
i have both origin and steam set to start up when i power up my PC, apparently I'm a motherfucking genius.

are people really not over the hard on for throwing shit as EA yet? yes we know they're morons and their PR team deserve the Darwin award, thank you captain Obvious.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Internet Kraken said:
This is the same thing.

You won't boot up origin if you don't plan of playing a game. So basically it is play a game once every two years or lose it forever. Why would I open Origin if I wasn't going to play a game?
Let me repeat, since you seem to have missed what I said.

If it functions as Steam does, then Origin will boot when the computer does.

If you didn't know, Steam always turns on in the background when you boot up your computer. If you didn't realize, go down to the right hand menu and look - it's there next to my volume, my power remaining, and the reminder to update Adobe Reader. When I turned on my computer, Steam booted and logged me in.

I haven't played any Steam games today, but Steam booted this morning when I turned on my computer - which it does every morning. It doesn't open a window - it just humms along in the background.

I don't have Origin, so I don't know if it is the same, but if it is, then it turns on whenever you boot up your computer, logs you in, and thus if you use the computer AT ALL in those two years, you will be fine - I don't need to actually open Steam for me to be logged in to Steam constantly.

bob1052 said:
The issue isn't whether or not you can prevent it from happening easily. The issue is that EA, who are providing the service, have set firm guidelines that basically says "we will undo every purchase you ever make with us if..."

If a disproportionate penalty is assigned to a law like littering you wouldn't, or at least shouldn't, simply make extra sure not to do it and get on with life, you would, should, try to get it fixed.
elvor0 said:
I havent accessed my Marketplace account in the last two years, should I have my games I payed £30/$60 for taken away from me? Fuck no. If you think this is okay, you quite blatantly have more disposable cash than you do sense, but hey can I have all your stuff you havent used in the past two years? I mean I should be allowed to. You don't own it anymore because you haven't touched it in the past two years. Yay, free shit for everybody. And if anyone asks for their stuff back, tell them to fuck off. They should've touched it in the past two years to maintain their ownership over it.
Also, to both of you - I didn't say anything about how moral, fair, or otherwise nice it was. I don't CARE. I don't have Origins, don't plan to get it. I'm merely pointing out that, if one turns on their computer at all then Steam loads. If Origins = Steam, then the same will happen - meaning that this is a non-issue because if you haven't turned your computer ON in two years, then you've got bigger problems than games being deleted.

If I am incorrect about Origins, and it uses a different system, then please tell me, but so far no one has said that. Steam auto-loads when you turn your computer on - if Origins is the same (and everyone says it is) then Origins auto-loads as well. That's all I'm saying. I'm not saying it's right - I'm just saying that actually failing to log on within 2 years is practically impossible for a living, breathing human being.

Also, if your special case happens to have you, I don't know, meditating with monks for two years on a mountain top, please, do not reply to tell me so - I don't care.

Edit:
Joseph Alexander said:
and? valve does this too, they just don't put a date on it.
i have both origin and steam set to start up when i power up my PC, apparently I'm a motherfucking genius.
This. Right here. The default setting on Steam (and apparently Origins) is to automatically load when you start (or restart) your computer. You have to go in and turn it off if you don't want it doing this. So yes, if you did that, and you don't play for two years, then you're screwed and that sucks. You know what the easiest thing to do is? Click that setting back to auto-load. And then you never have to worry about it ever again.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
The way I see it is that if somebody does not log into their account for 2 years. It most likely means that it is a dead account.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
gof22 said:
The way I see it is that if somebody does not log into their account for 2 years. It most likely means that it is a dead account.

The way that everyone else sees it is that on Steam, if you don't log in for two years and come back, everything is still there the way you left it.

Littlee300

Oct 26, 2009
mad825 said:
*shrug*

A guy in a coma
A person who just went on a missionary journey.
A person serving in the army
There has to be more also. This is what one of the big problems with Digital distribution is. If shit happens you may lose everything. This is going to cause people, like me, to learn towards physical copies.