EA on women in Battlefield V; "If you don't like it, don't buy it"

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Kerg3927 said:
erttheking said:
A man was just sentenced to death because he was a gay man and the jurors felt that that meant that he would enjoy life in prison and therefore it wouldn't be a punishment for him.

If you think all the issues with inequality just magically went away, you haven't been paying attention.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/19/opinion/charles-rhines-gay-jury-death-row.html
I would point out that the murder was in 1992... 26 years ago, so he wasn't "just sentenced." I would also point out that this type of story is probably extremely rare. I've certainly never heard of such a thing. And finally, I said "equal under the law," as in what the law says, but you never know what's going to happen when a jury deliberates... people are naturally biased in various ways, and juries are by design made up of average people, with variances in education, etc. Either way, that guy could have avoided the whole death penalty vs. life in prison thing by simply not murdering someone. I am against the death penalty, but hard to feel too much sympathy for him.
The conviction was made in 1992. It was upheld this year. You can't use the "it happened a long time ago" defense when the injustice is being protected by the courts in modern day. And justices are upholding the jury's decision today. They're not overturning it even though they have a chance to. So much for that equality under the law thing.

Again. If you think we live in an equal world, you aren't paying attention. White and Black people smoke Marijuana at the same rate, yet Black people get arrested for it much more often with much harsher sentencing, most states don't have a law against the trans panic defense, Ohio is currently considering a law that will enable parents to deny their children to procedures they'll need if they're trans, atheists technically can't hold office in seven states, ask Lil Devils how America treats Native peoples (spoiler alert, they steal their fucking children), it's still legal to torture gay people in a spiteful attempt to turn them straight, and a load of other shit. Imma...imma take a wild guess and say that you're a white, cis-gendered heterosexual male? Sometimes I get one of those wrong when I take this guess, but I've never gotten more than one out of four wrong. I find it very telling that the people who suffer the least from inequality are the ones who are so quick to champion how injustice is over.

Apr 17, 2009
?We can?t have women because that would be unrealistic.?

?Okay but what about healing all injuries within seconds, the prevalence of automatic weaponry, respawning after death, and all this random anachronistic gear floating around??

?No, see, those are fun for me. Playing as a woman is only fun for other people.?

And then we all sighed and slowly shook our heads

Sep 24, 2008
Vendor-Lazarus said:
The is a need for a new game precisely because this franchise has a history of delivering one thing.
Otherwise it turns into a changed game that goes against said history.
This is where we can't reach an agreement. And it's funny, because it's something I partly agree with you.

This franchise, this genre of game HAS been about delivering one thing. But to me, that one thing is the representation of people who risked their lives to fight for what they believe in. And as I've said numerous times, Those Dutch Resistance Fighters (no matter their gender or sexual orientation) did that. To me, that makes them just as much of a soldier than anyone who went into Boot Camp.

To then say they need a game that's essentially separate but equal (in theory) to the main game line? I can't truck with that.

If you fought to save my family along with some police officers, I will not ignore your struggle because you weren't sworn in by the police department. I won't have a separate press conference where I acknowledge you, but I didn't want to have it apart of the one where I praised the police because they are the protectors people normally think about. I will praise and thank everyone who put themselves on the line for my family. No matter their background, no matter how 'small' their contribution was.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Saelune said:
Imperfect equality is a broad term, too broad. Seperate but 'equal' broad.
When people talk about separate but equal, it usually about how much skill or talent they have. And how good these talents are for society. Then they twist it into: these talented people are the most important and ideas should be heard above others. Which I squint at saying, "well sort of. That's how reputation works. You do good work, your voice is heard more." But I'm still squinting, because something seems off.

Then I realise that what they actually mean is that rich people, who got rich through talent and skill, should have right of way. Economic benefit through government policy SHOULD flow to them. Things like workers taking owners to court over pay disputes is not okay because the owner has to be right. They have talent and skill. They are valuable to society more than the worker. (And why Trump got his cronies to make this a law a couple of weeks ago. Can't have those workers back chatting. Or having ideas. Or asking for a wage.)

It reeks of the old slavery ideals. That slavery was beneficial for the slaves. It reeks of "I'm more valuable to society, so therefore, only my ideas matter."

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
trunkage said:
Saelune said:
When people talk about separate but equal, it usually about how much skill or talent they have. And how good these talents are for society. Then they twist it into: these talented people are the most important and ideas should be heard above others. Which I squint at saying, "well sort of. That's how reputation works. You do good work, your voice is heard more." But I'm still squinting, because something seems off.

Then I realise that what they actually mean is that rich people, who got rich through talent and skill, should have right of way. Economic benefit through government policy SHOULD flow to them. Things like workers taking owners to court over pay disputes is not okay because the owner has to be right. They have talent and skill. They are valuable to society more than the worker. (And why Trump got his cronies to make this a law a couple of weeks ago. Can't have those workers back chatting. Or having ideas. Or asking for a wage.)

It reeks of the old slavery ideals. That slavery was beneficial for the slaves. It reeks of "I'm more valuable to society, so therefore, only my ideas matter."
Those ideals go even father back in history to the aristocratic mentality (the word "aristocracy" derives from the Greek "aristokratia", meaning "rule of the best").

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Palindromemordnilap said:
?We can?t have women because that would be unrealistic.?

?Okay but what about healing all injuries within seconds, the prevalence of automatic weaponry, respawning after death, and all this random anachronistic gear floating around??

?No, see, those are fun for me. Playing as a woman is only fun for other people.?

Didn't this series have the Russians invade South America for reasons(Something Something Japanese WW2 EMP device) and have the possibility of losing a QTE fight to a rat?

Yup, realism.

Apr 17, 2009
Dalisclock said:
"We can't have women because that would be unrealistic."

"Okay but what about healing all injuries within seconds, the prevalence of automatic weaponry, respawning after death, and all this random anachronistic gear floating around?"

"No, see, those are fun for me. Playing as a woman is only fun for other people."

Didn't this series have the Russians invade South America for reasons(Something Something Japanese WW2 EMP device) and have the possibility of losing a QTE fight to a rat?

Yup, realism.
Its almost like the realism excuse is all a load of nonsense of something, isn't it?

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
trunkage said:
Saelune said:

It's telling that the sort of people who think a pure meritocracy is great don't advocate for a 100% estate tax, if you know what I mean.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Dalisclock said:

"Okay but what about healing all injuries within seconds, the prevalence of automatic weaponry, respawning after death, and all this random anachronistic gear floating around?"

"No, see, those are fun for me. Playing as a woman is only fun for other people."

Yup, realism.
Its almost like the realism excuse is all a load of nonsense of something, isn't it?
To be fair, I'm more then happy to play that game with CoD as well, since CoD was apparently getting the same thing a couple titles back. Infinite Warfare was full of things that made no sense, even with it's Star Wars/Battlestar Galatica inspirations on full display.

Kerg3927

Jun 8, 2015
altnameJag said:
Kerg3927 said:
You don't see these higher percentages in other minority groups such as Asians and Indians. If it's all racism, why aren't they also filling our prisons? Instead, they are filling our universities and typically doing very well for themselves. I would say that the biggest factor is culture. And not racist white culture. The culture in those local communities.
Yes, why would a group of immigrants who emigrated legally with a high cost of entry be doing differently than a group of citizens that were brought here enslaved and did not have equal rights until a generation ago. That couldn't possibly be linked to racism in anyway. It's not like racial profiling, the thing you describe in your first sentence, is racism or anything.
You make a good point about Asians and Indian immigrants, i.e. the high cost of entry being a factor. I admit that I'm not very familiar with how selective that process is, but it makes sense. But there are other factors probably working against them that don't hamper black people, like language and being transplanted into a strange new culture. I did say racism is a factor for black people, but just one of several and that the overall reasons are complicated, and I stand by that. Too often I see people point at a stat and scream racism (or sexism), without looking at other factors.

For example, I think a lot of what people call racism is simply capitalism. It's economic. Poor white people face those exact same challenges, and there are just as many poor white people in the U.S. as there are poor minorities [https://www.kff.org/other/state-indicator/poverty-rate-by-raceethnicity/?dataView=1?tTimeframe=0&selectedRows=%7B%22wrapups%22:%7B%22united-states%22:%7B%7D%7D%7D&sortModel=%7B%22colId%22:%22Location%22,%22sort%22:%22asc%22%7D]. Under capitalism, those who are born with money get better education, get raised by better educated parents, and then generally have more financial help from their parents upon leaving the nest. And that is true for all races. Being born poor sucks, and its very difficult to climb the ladder from the bottom. I think the main reason that a higher percentage of black people in America are poor is because they ALL are descended from people who started at the bottom in 1865, and in 150 years - the first 100 years facing actual, real racism - most still haven't been able to climb out... and many have probably given up trying. But it's not racism that is continuing to hold them down, IMO... it's just plain ol' being born poor.

As for racial profiling, it's controversial [https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2015/11/01/what-are-arguments-for-and-against-racial-profiling/F0DlnqVZk7aUXolRuHc0LJ/story.html]. To some it's unforgivable racism and the worst thing ever. To others it's simply using available data to increase efficiency.

For example, you're working security at an airport, and your job is to keep someone with a bomb from boarding planes. You have time to search only like 10 people per hour. Do you do it 100% randomly, including elderly white women, etc.? Or do you give special attention to male Arabs? Which method would prove more effective in preventing a terrorist attack?

altnameJag said:
Kerg3927 said:
Regarding your specific example, just legalize marijuana, problem solved for everyone.
Regarding marijuana, my specific example, Black people are 3-4 times more likely to be arrested for carrying weed and no other crime than white people. And if they're a black dude, their sentence will be longer for no goddamned reason: https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/fsd0512.pdf and it's been growing.
I would add that, according to this article [https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/06/04/race-marijuana/2389677/], overall about twice as many whites are arrested for weed. Also, according to one long time judge, black communities are targeted because it's easier to catch them...

Arthur Burnett Sr., a retired judge of the Superior Court of the District of Columbia, said his 40 years on the bench showed him that police concentrate their numbers in black communities. It's easier to catch people with marijuana in communities where there are "open-air" drug markets, rather than looking in homes, basements or country clubs, said Burnett, the CEO of the National African American Drug Policy Coalition.
As far as sentencing, what happens once you get into a courtroom is HIGHLY dependent upon the quality of your legal counsel, and that's true for all races. Poor people, white and black, are much more likely to get the book thrown at them because they are using a shitty public defender and can't afford a real attorney. It just so happens that a high percentage of black people are poor, for reasons I discussed above. Prior record probably also plays into it, creating a snowball effect.

I'm sure that there are some actual racist cops out there, and it's probably a factor. But I would argue that the bigger factor is police going for easier arrests in black neighborhoods (fish in a barrel technique) and then a large percentage of those people not being able to afford an attorney.

Again, people should look at all factors before screaming zomg huge racism. Not doing so is part of the boy who cried wolf effect I mentioned.

evilthecat said:
Kerg3927 said:
So those people are never going to stop complaining? Ever?
Define complaining?

Like, I know your complaints were partly due to a misunderstanding, but let's say they weren't. Let's say that Dice really were making a world war 2 game with an ostensibly world war 2 setting, but making some models and NPCs female. Now, I don't think you'd have to like that game, maybe you're after a more realistic world war 2 game and would find it distracting or immersion breaking, but at the end of the day it's a creative decision to sacrifice realism for (some people's) fun, and let's not pretend that's something that's never happened in Battlefield before. Again, a whole bunch of the weapons in Battlefield 1 literally didn't exist or worked fundamentally differently, but were made up to fit a world war 1 game into the mould of a modern shooter.

But your argument, which to be honest sounds very complaining, is that this wouldn't just be another artistic choice which you could like or dislike, but would in fact be some kind of "cancer" which is somehow destroying Western society. Yeah, putting women into a video game is destroying Western society.

It's not necessary to bring politics into this at all. Battlefield is a multiplayer-focused shooter, one of the biggest in the world, it has a huge and diverse audience, much of whom is fairly young, or otherwise not part of the traditional "hardcore gamer" set we encounter on sites like this. If that audience wants to see itself reflected in games, and isn't hugely concerned about historical accuracy or the "authentic world war 2 experience", then Dice should have the right to make the games they want. I don't see any reason that is more "political" than putting automatic weapons in world war 1.

But to you, it is political. In fact, it's not just political, what you're doing is identity politics. You are doing identity politics right now. You are making this political when it doesn't have to be. For some reason, you can accept that a gun that never existed being in a video game isn't political, but cannot accept the same of women being depicted in a situation they didn't historically appear. Why are women inherently more political than anything else to you? Well, because you're interpreting "women" as a political symbol. The fact that you're doing so from a hostile standpoint changes nothing.

So, to answer your question, people will stop using identity politics when everyone stops using it. But that will mean that it genuinely doesn't matter whether or not there are women in video games. After all, there is nothing political about women.
I suppose I am complaining. You got me there. But I do respect the developers' right to make the game however they want, and yes, I am free to not like it and to not buy it.

As far as a "cancer," I wasn't talking about this game specifically. What I'm talking about is this constant bickering back and forth. People yelling that so-and-so-group is oppressed and not represented enough, that is not diverse enough, it's racist, it's sexist... and then the backlash of no, it's fine, leave it alone, you piece of shit SJW, yada yada yada. It just gets tiresome.

Why can't art forms show representations of the real world anymore, in all it's beautiful chaos and randomness, without creating a shitstorm? Why do we have to diversity wash EVERYTHING to where it looks fake and contrived? You know, sometimes you flip a coin and it turns up heads 3-4 times in a row. It's not the end of the world. An all-time classic TV show that happens to focus on 6 white buddies shouldn't suddenly be "problematic [https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/friends-netflix-sexist-racist-transphobic-problematic-millenials-watch-a8154626.html]."

evilthecat said:
Kerg3927 said:
There has never been so little discrimination in the (Western) world, and yet it seems like there has never been more complaining about it.
Have you considered that this is because, historically, people were afraid to speak at all.

Like, I personally have been assaulted and put in hospital more than once. Friends of mine have been attacked with deadly weapons. People I know have taken their own lives because they could not live being treated as they were. This is the "little discrimination" you're talking about. The "big discrimination" of the past was far, far worse.
I'm sorry those things happened. The world can be a cruel place.

evilthecat said:
One huge advantage which people struggled for for years (using identity politics) is that most people now agree that equality is a theoretically good thing. This means that speaking out about inequality you face is sometimes a useful way to get to change, because most people recognise inequality and don't like it. In the past, this was far less true. When the stonewall riots or the civil rights movement happened, most people sided with the opposition because they fundamentally didn't think queer people, or black people should have the same rights as everyone else, there was an explicit belief that these were inferior humans, they were the enemy who needed to be suppressed and pushed down. Nowadays, that belief hasn't gone away, but it is at least something people are obliged to keep secret, which means we can talk about it in a way older people couldn't have imagined doing.
I know I'm just one person, but I literally know of no one who hasn't already died of old age who feels that way. I don't think everyone is just keeping it secret. I think most people really don't feel that way.

This is not aimed at you at all, but my advice to any minority group or their supporters would be to not exaggerate the discrimination they are currently enduring (again, not saying you are) and don't accuse people of discrimination just for harmless every day variations in diversity. The world is and can never be perfectly homogenized, and nobody likes walking on eggshells worried that some angry person might suddenly jump out and verbally attack him. That type of stuff is only going to lead to backlash, which hurts your cause... hell, it may even put someone like Donald Trump in the White House. Don't cry wolf unless there is really a wolf.

evilthecat said:
Kerg3927 said:
This "reminding" comes from both sides, and I would say it usually originates from those whining about a lack of perfect diversity in pretty much everything.
I don't know.. arguments about the "divisiveness" of opposing positions overwhelmingly come from people who don't think they're using identity politics (but really are, because seriously.. we all do, all the time).
I like to think that I try very hard not to. I try to think of everyone the same, without putting them in a category.

Saelune said:
Kerg3927 said:
Saelune said:
Identity politics is what bigots created to oppress people who are different. Identity politics were created when a man told a woman she was less than him, identity politics were created when a religious person told a homosexual they are a sin against God, identity politics were created when a white person said that being black makes you property, not human.
All of those bad things happened in the past, obviously. They are rare occurences today. It's not 1860, or 1920, or 1960 anymore.
Saelune said:
The only way to stop identity politics is to fight for equality.
As I said above, there is no such thing as perfect equality. There will always be some bias, and all we can do is minimize it. I would say that we're probably close to as good as it's ever going to be, at least among educated people. And right now, because of the boy who cried wolf effect and the backlash it creates, this continued obsession over perfect equality seems to be polarizing us and moving things in the wrong direction.
Rare? Children are literally in cages and Nazis are more protected from violence than children are. Bakers are literally discriminating against homosexuals. Women are condemned for calling out people who support a sexist man who gets praised by the same people calling those women sexist.

There is a difference between crying wolf when the wolf is not real than people looking at a wolf eating the boy and saying 'How dare that boy hurt that wolf's feelings!'

Perfect equality? How about just letting black people not be shot by cops who then get paid vacation as a reward, how about not letting sex offenders run the government, how about letting gays buy a damn cake! How about immigrants being treated as people, not live stock!

Human trafficking is a terrible, serious problem, but that has nothing to do with identity politics. I don't think the traffickers discriminate. They take all kinds.

Nazis and white supremacists say stupid shit, but under freedom of speech laws, they are entitled to the right to say it, even if no one else likes it. You cannot curb their freedom of speech rights without curbing the rights of others. Both good and bad speech must be protected, even if it makes others uncomfortable - in fact, especially if it makes others uncomfortable, because that is the only type of speech that needs protection, and it is the absolute foundation of a free, democratic society.

Cops have tough jobs, and many aren't well-trained... they are going to f*ck up from time to time. I try not to judge them too harshly, because I've never been in their situation, having a gun pointed at a potentially armed suspect and having to make a split second life or death decision under high stress. Yeah, I'm sure some of them are bad people. Others just make mistakes, like everyone else.

Regarding what is "rare," I understand the basic concepts of statistics and probability, or at least I like to think I do. I don't buy lottery tickets, because the odds of winning are pretty much zero. I consider it to be a tax on people who are bad at math.

How many bake shops are there in the Western world? A million? I would say that one homophobic baker out of a million is the very definition of rare. Just like one guy at Starbucks who foolishly calls the cops on two black guys for loitering, probably costing his company $millions in PR damage control, is rare. Out of the tens of thousands of Starbucks worldwide, we only know of something like that happening once, right?

There are 7.4 billion people on this planet. If you stacked 7.4 billion one-dollar bills on top of each other, it would be 500 MILES high. Think about that the next time you see one isolated episode that makes the news. And I think most of them make the news, because it's click-bait gold in this day and age, and everyone has a phone on their camera with access to Twitter only a click away. One or two individual homophobes or racists in the news out of billions does not mean that the whole Western world is homophobic and racist.

erttheking said:
Kerg3927 said:
erttheking said:
A man was just sentenced to death because he was a gay man and the jurors felt that that meant that he would enjoy life in prison and therefore it wouldn't be a punishment for him.

If you think all the issues with inequality just magically went away, you haven't been paying attention.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/19/opinion/charles-rhines-gay-jury-death-row.html
I would point out that the murder was in 1992... 26 years ago, so he wasn't "just sentenced." I would also point out that this type of story is probably extremely rare. I've certainly never heard of such a thing. And finally, I said "equal under the law," as in what the law says, but you never know what's going to happen when a jury deliberates... people are naturally biased in various ways, and juries are by design made up of average people, with variances in education, etc. Either way, that guy could have avoided the whole death penalty vs. life in prison thing by simply not murdering someone. I am against the death penalty, but hard to feel too much sympathy for him.
The conviction was made in 1992. It was upheld this year. You can't use the "it happened a long time ago" defense when the injustice is being protected by the courts in modern day. And justices are upholding the jury's decision today. They're not overturning it even though they have a chance to. So much for that equality under the law thing.

Again. If you think we live in an equal world, you aren't paying attention. White and Black people smoke Marijuana at the same rate, yet Black people get arrested for it much more often with much harsher sentencing, most states don't have a law against the trans panic defense, Ohio is currently considering a law that will enable parents to deny their children to procedures they'll need if they're trans, atheists technically can't hold office in seven states, ask Lil Devils how America treats Native peoples (spoiler alert, they steal their fucking children), it's still legal to torture gay people in a spiteful attempt to turn them straight, and a load of other shit.
I don't know the details of that case, and I'm not a lawyer. Just because they didn't overturn it doesn't mean all those judges are homophobes. It could just be a weak case. That NY Times article talks about a few jurors remembering discussions from the deliberations 26 years ago. Sounds kind of like hearsay to me (typically inadmissible in court). It just might not have been enough proof of bias. The burden of proof in a court of law is a lot higher than it is on the internet.

The marijuana thing I discussed above. I've never heard of trans panic defense. Is that really a thing? Has it been successfully used as a defense in the modern era? Re: Ohio, again, I don't know much about the topic, but it's not the first time a parent has been able to make a decision about what is best for his kid. Kids are usually young and confused, because well, they're kids. It's probably a pretty complicated issue, and a very inexact science, because you are relying upon testimony from a kid. Didn't know about the atheist thing... that sucks, but is it even enforced? Re: Native American kids, googling around, it looks bad, but I don't know enough about it to have an opinion... if it's as bad as it looks, hopefully now that it's exposed it will stop. Regarding conversion therapy on minors, googling around, it looks like a bunch of states have recently made it illegal... hopefully the rest will follow suit.

I never said the world was perfect. In fact, I said the opposite. I said it can't be perfect. You did point out some archaic laws still on the books that definitely need to go, and hopefully they are being phased out. I'm also all for exposing really bad shit wherever it exists. My point was, as I posted above, that there is a lot less really bad shit going on in the Western world than there used to be, and that it was my opinion that the frequency of much of it is exaggerated because people don't understand probability. They see one news article and go zomg it's happening everywhere!

erttheking said:
Imma...imma take a wild guess and say that you're a white, cis-gendered heterosexual male? Sometimes I get one of those wrong when I take this guess, but I've never gotten more than one out of four wrong. I find it very telling that the people who suffer the least from inequality are the ones who are so quick to champion how injustice is over.
So my opinion doesn't count? I'm not allowed to discuss it? White, cis-gendered, heterosexual males are people, too, just like everyone else. They're not all the evil people some make them out to be. And they're certainly not all privileged. As I linked above, there are 17 million white people in the U.S. living in poverty. I doubt they wake up every day and say privilege... sure feelz good, man.

Which brings me back to identity politics. If we want to help out poor people, how about all poor people? Or all disadvantaged people? But instead, with identity politics we get all this tribal animosity, my team vs. your team, and everyone gang up on the white, cis-gendered, heterosexual males because f*ck them, all of them. I think it's counterproductive.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Kerg3927 said:
The didn't even hear his appeal, they don't know if there's enough of proof of bias. As for twice as many white people getting arrested, you're ignoring how statistics work. Proportionately, white people and black people smoke weed at the same rate. Let me give you an example. There's a building with 1000 white people and 100 black people in it. 400 white people and 40 black people all smoke pot. That's a proportional rate. Now, say police come in and arrest 20 black people and 40 white people. That would fit your argument that twice as many white people get arrested. Except 50% of the black people who smoked pot got arrested, while only 10% of the white people who did got arrested. And the black people got a harsher sentence for doing the same crime. That's how it's happening in America.

It's a rarely used tactic, but a used one. It's a spin off of gay panic, of which only a handful of states have outlawed. As for parents making decisions for kids, it's a red state, any trans kids stuck in there are probably going to see their suicide rates go through the roofs because half the state probably sees trans people as freaks and sexual predators. The atheist law isn't enforced, but the fact that it's on the books means the potential for abuse is always there. As for the Native American situation getting better...not under this presidency. I foresee the Bible Belt remaining a stronghold of conversion therapy, because they'll use the Bible to justify raping dogs at the rate they're going.

Things are better, yes. But there's a saying I like to point out. "Better is not good." Yes, things have gotten better in a lot of ways, but they're still utterly terrible in lots of other ways. We've got a long way to go, and we cannot afford to get complacent, something a lot of people in the modern world want to do. They want to kick their feet up, say "it's all over, we're perfect" and not care.

Your opinion lacks perspective. I'm a cis white het male, and you know what I do? I talk to non cis het white males to learn more about what they're going through. I don't make declarations about what's going on for these people without either doing that, or some research into the topic. And your tribalism falls apart because it acts like I can't both want to help poor people, and stop unequal sentencing for black people at the same time. I don't know why people always treat humans like they can only care strongly about one particular thing at a time, but I'm proud to say my brain is not that underdeveloped. And put away the fucking victim card. Me pointing out that you lack perspective when it comes to certain hardships you will never go through and whose existence you may not ever be aware of. And this whole "why can't we help everyone" line of thinking is a non-sequitor. You find problems and fix them, you don't just stand around declaring all problems should be fixed, because there are certain problems that require specific approaches and can't be fixed with a universal blanket one, just like how unequal sentencing for blacks needs a solution specifically tailored for that situation. Like I said. Your opinion lacks perspective.

And can I just point out the irony of you saying we should leave identity politics behind while also pulling the identity politics of being the white man that everyone is picking on? Pick one. Either we can't use identity politics or we can. Don't wag your finger at me for using it before using it to paint yourself as a victim not a sentence later.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
erttheking said:
they'll use the Bible to justify raping dogs at the rate they're going
Now you're just being ridiculous. They ain't going to justify raping dogs because that's a slippery slope to human-animal marriage.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Kerg3927 said:
Saelune said:
Kerg3927 said:
Saelune said:
Identity politics is what bigots created to oppress people who are different. Identity politics were created when a man told a woman she was less than him, identity politics were created when a religious person told a homosexual they are a sin against God, identity politics were created when a white person said that being black makes you property, not human.
All of those bad things happened in the past, obviously. They are rare occurences today. It's not 1860, or 1920, or 1960 anymore.
Saelune said:
The only way to stop identity politics is to fight for equality.
As I said above, there is no such thing as perfect equality. There will always be some bias, and all we can do is minimize it. I would say that we're probably close to as good as it's ever going to be, at least among educated people. And right now, because of the boy who cried wolf effect and the backlash it creates, this continued obsession over perfect equality seems to be polarizing us and moving things in the wrong direction.
Rare? Children are literally in cages and Nazis are more protected from violence than children are. Bakers are literally discriminating against homosexuals. Women are condemned for calling out people who support a sexist man who gets praised by the same people calling those women sexist.

There is a difference between crying wolf when the wolf is not real than people looking at a wolf eating the boy and saying 'How dare that boy hurt that wolf's feelings!'

Perfect equality? How about just letting black people not be shot by cops who then get paid vacation as a reward, how about not letting sex offenders run the government, how about letting gays buy a damn cake! How about immigrants being treated as people, not live stock!

Human trafficking is a terrible, serious problem, but that has nothing to do with identity politics. I don't think the traffickers discriminate. They take all kinds.

Nazis and white supremacists say stupid shit, but under freedom of speech laws, they are entitled to the right to say it, even if no one else likes it. You cannot curb their freedom of speech rights without curbing the rights of others. Both good and bad speech must be protected, even if it makes others uncomfortable - in fact, especially if it makes others uncomfortable, because that is the only type of speech that needs protection, and it is the absolute foundation of a free, democratic society.

Cops have tough jobs, and many aren't well-trained... they are going to f*ck up from time to time. I try not to judge them too harshly, because I've never been in their situation, having a gun pointed at a potentially armed suspect and having to make a split second life or death decision under high stress. Yeah, I'm sure some of them are bad people. Others just make mistakes, like everyone else.

Regarding what is "rare," I understand the basic concepts of statistics and probability, or at least I like to think I do. I don't buy lottery tickets, because the odds of winning are pretty much zero. I consider it to be a tax on people who are bad at math.

How many bake shops are there in the Western world? A million? I would say that one homophobic baker out of a million is the very definition of rare. Just like one guy at Starbucks who foolishly calls the cops on two black guys for loitering, probably costing his company $millions in PR damage control, is rare. Out of the tens of thousands of Starbucks worldwide, we only know of something like that happening once, right?

There are 7.4 billion people on this planet. If you stacked 7.4 billion one-dollar bills on top of each other, it would be 500 MILES high. Think about that the next time you see one isolated episode that makes the news. And I think most of them make the news, because it's click-bait gold in this day and age, and everyone has a phone on their camera with access to Twitter only a click away. One or two individual homophobes or racists in the news out of billions does not mean that the whole Western world is homophobic and racist.
Nah, we can curb calls for hate crimes and not become a fascist state. See, I like the freedom to criticize the government and those in power, THAT is the good part of 'freedom of speech', but the 'freedom to say whatever bullshit we want' is a bad thing. If nothing else, starting a holocaust or genocide is worthy of revoking certain rights. Nazis lost any rights after WW2, they had their chance and murdered millions with it. The US would not be keen to let Muslim extremists do whatever they want, why do we let Nazis?

I'd love to see a Taliban parade in NYC with burning flags and 'death to America' chanted and see what happens. My guess is the government would do something about it.

Cops are given power, and SHOULD have responsibilities tied to it. Yeah, it is a touch job, so maybe we should not let just any psycho coward with a power trip problem have a fucking gun and the ability to abuse anyone they want!? No, the guy with a badge and gun is NOT the victim. When a cop fucks up, they get a paid vacation and someone else gets killed for it. Not even always the victim fucking up either, unless being black is a fuck up? Cops protect bad cops making them all guilty.

1 is too many. Yeah, number-wise it is 'not a big deal' but people should be treated as more than numbers and statistics. We should never let ourselves view the world in such unfeeling, robotic terms.

The point is that that case now allows others to do the same with the government's blessing and protection! THAT is the issue. Any government protected bigotry is a horrendous thing.

I dont like viewing people as just numbers. Yeah, I point out the 15+ million people murdered by the Nazis often, but thats 15million PEOPLE. I cannot even imagine the pain and fear and hopelessness they each must have felt, and it scares me to live in a world that each day becomes more possible that I myself may finally know. I dont want to know, no one ever should experience such terror.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Phoenixmgs said:
erttheking said:
they'll use the Bible to justify raping dogs at the rate they're going
Now you're just being ridiculous. They ain't going to justify raping dogs because that's a slippery slope to human-animal marriage.
I admit that was some bitterness fueled hyperbole

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Kerg3927 said:
Regarding marijuana, my specific example, Black people are 3-4 times more likely to be arrested for carrying weed and no other crime than white people. And if they're a black dude, their sentence will be longer for no goddamned reason: https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/fsd0512.pdf and it's been growing.
I would add that, according to this article [https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/06/04/race-marijuana/2389677/], overall about twice as many whites are arrested for weed.
And of there was one black person for every two white people in America, that would matter.
Kerg3927 said:
Arthur Burnett Sr., a retired judge of the Superior Court of the District of Columbia, said his 40 years on the bench showed him that police concentrate their numbers in black communities. It's easier to catch people with marijuana in communities where there are "open-air" drug markets, rather than looking in homes, basements or country clubs, said Burnett, the CEO of the National African American Drug Policy Coalition.
As far as sentencing, what happens once you get into a courtroom is HIGHLY dependent upon the quality of your legal counsel, and that's true for all races. Poor people, white and black, are much more likely to get the book thrown at them because they are using a shitty public defender and can't afford a real attorney. It just so happens that a high percentage of black people are poor, for reasons I discussed above. Prior record probably also plays into it, creating a snowball effect.

I'm sure that there are some actual racist cops out there, and it's probably a factor. But I would argue that the bigger factor is police going for easier arrests in black neighborhoods (fish in a barrel technique) and then a large percentage of those people not being able to afford an attorney.

Again, people should look at all factors before screaming zomg huge racism. Not doing so is part of the boy who cried wolf effect I mentioned.
So the cops and judges and legal system aren't racist, they're just lazy in a way that's indistinguishable from racism. That's a good defense.

Apr 24, 2008
Heh... Even though that's always the proposition, it's still somewhat weird to have it honestly said by someone putting a product out.

Hope the game's good.

IamGamer41

Mar 19, 2010
Fieldy409 said:
An army might have refused to hire female soldiers(that they knew were female anyway). But to pretend women never fought in WW2 is crazy, some factions did use women soldiers and theres also the fact that not everybody fighting in WW2 was in the army, during war random people can just show up with guns and start attacking your enemy, be they part of a political group militia or resistance fighters.

Go look at the Ukraine and its random pockets of nationalist groups unaffiliated with their military fighting to this day.

Is it so crazy to think a woman might have picked up their dead husbands hunting rifle and gone to fight in the resistance after their country is occupied?
Yeah maybe while they had their robot arm and zero training in shooting a weapon cause we all know women were taught how to shoot back then. Also there was zero females who fought on the front lines with the men. Female russian snipers? Yes( Dont give me that bull that snipers count as front line). Female russian pilots? Yes. As I have said there was next to no females fighting in the way the game portrays them in the trailer.

Here's something else you can try to explain to me.I played the closed alpha and it spawned me in as a sniper. A British ASIAN FEMALE sniper....... So show me where all the asians fighting in WW2 for the british are at in the history books? That's alright, go ahead and give me that go to answer "It's just a game."

IamGamer41

Mar 19, 2010
Dalisclock said:
Dalisclock said:

Yup, realism.
To be fair, I'm more then happy to play that game with CoD as well, since CoD was apparently getting the same thing a couple titles back. Infinite Warfare was full of things that made no sense, even with it's Star Wars/Battlestar Galatica inspirations on full display.
Infinite Warfare is the worst CoD. for just some of those reasons.