EA Plans Free-To-Play For Every Major Franchise

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
well, something crappy had to come from them. i guess afer being for so long bad, they are having a hard time to find there way back for being good. but just maybe.

Mr_Spanky

Jun 1, 2012
Come on is anyone really surprised by a dick move by EA at this point?

In any case its all in the implementation isn't it? I mean if this was Valve we would all be saying "Yes that's an interesting marketing strategy. Have to see how that turns out". Because (largely at least) people TRUST Valve and DON'T trust EA.

I mean a game like TF2 has been F2P for some time now - the micro-transactions are all for hats and weapons (and mostly you can get them from random drops and/or crafting.

F2P doesn't HAVE to be bad news. But when this kind of news comes from EA . . . . I don't like to prejudge but yeah . . . it's not gonna be good is it?

shirkbot

Apr 15, 2013
Noelveiga said:
Guys, this article is trying so hard to twist what Moore is saying, and you're going for it without thinking. Have you listened to the actual interview?

When Moore says "free to play" he doesn't mean "microtransactions", and when he says "franchises" he doesn't mean "games".

FIIFA has a free to play game called FIFA World, and their iPad game is going F2P. Battlefield has a free to play game whose name escapes me (plus that Battlefield Heroes thing).

He's not saying that Battlefield 4 will have microtransactions, he says that if you want to play A Battlefield game without paying for a disc up front you can do that because they have a F2P PC Battlefield.

It's one thing to react to the things EA says, but making up things they didn't really say and getting angry about that is just weird.
Actually it makes perfect sense when you consider they attempted to sell SimCity as an MMO. EA says a lot of bizarre, stupid things, but even so, my thought is that it's a lot less about the "Free-to-Play" and much more the "we don't make offline games anymore." They don't care about whether it's single-player, multiplayer, free to play or pay to win. They just want an excuse to make all games have a constant connection so they can enforce DRM. At least that's my take on it.

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
DoubleAgent74 said:
Andy Chalk said:
"And gamers either want to be connected, so that your stats and your achievements and whatever you do certainly reflect who you are, or you want the full multiplayer experience on top of that.
I don't want either one of these. What does that make me?
A filthy casual. You filthy casual.

*Feebly shakes fist at you "Angrily".*

OT: It's amazing that EA is so distrusted that when they say, "We want to make a lot of our franchises have free games in them," they get nothing but scorn and hate. A sad, but earned title.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
BrownGaijin said:
Thought 1: Dear Lord, it's like watching the Titanic hit an iceberg and then hearing the captain say, "Can we pull it in reverse? I don't think I got enough ice for my drink!"

Thought 2: Can I go back to my universe, where free-to-play meant not having to pay sixty bucks upfront (or any money for that matter)?

canadamus_prime said:
So EA is continuing their practice of putting all their eggs in one basket. At least they're constant.
Andy Chalk said:
"And gamers either want to be connected, so that your stats and your achievements and whatever you do certainly reflect who you are, or you want the full multiplayer experience on top of that.
I don't want either of those things. Evidently I don't speak for the majority of gamers however.

EDIT: I think I've got a good theme song for EA
Nice, I also have a video that best describes the general level of frustration:

Yeah, that sounds about right.

Apr 5, 2008
Where do they get these execs to run the company? Who are the morons on the board of directors that put them in charge?

If I want something always-online, I'll play an MMO. For everything else, I'm happier with my offline, single-player experiences, thank you very much. EA have been...well, EA for a long time now and I'm not expecting changes any time soon. But every major decision they've made (excepting getting rid of Ricitello) has been the wrong one. Origin exlucisivity for example, means I don't buy their games any more, period. Put them back on Steam and at least I'll have the option again; I'm not using another DDP.

Anyway, EA don't make games for me anymore. Dragon Age, Mass Effect and other BioWare things maybe, but the rest...homogenised 3rd person action/adventure/shooter bollocks, no thanks. They make console games for 18 year olds and good luck to them.

Talvrae

The Purple Fairy
Dec 8, 2009
Can,t wait to see what it will do in Dragon Age Inquisition... I'm scarred to see what it will give... berk

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
So in EA-moonspeak, "F2P" is equal to "RMT", regardless of whether a game was actually free to begin with. The amount of fail here is mind-boggling.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
DoubleAgent74 said:
Andy Chalk said:
I don't want either one of these. What does that make me?
Smart.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
If they mean free to play as in the likes of battlefield online, battlefield heroes and Spartacus legends, where the game is essentially free, but the upgrades can be purchased for lazy types (or marginally richer, lazy types) that dont like grinding the game normally...then that is fine.
If however, they mean a full game that costs extra on top of the game price to get all those nice, shiny multiplayer goodies to bling up their game, thus negating the word 'free' to some weird ironic universe...then they can go screw monkey puzzle trees.

Anyhow, im sure they like to market towards their overspoilt, male kids...from what it seems so far. The daughters can have ponies while the sons can be let loose in the board meetings for their own game ideas. A narrow minded vision i know, but am in a very small room right now

Im still bitter from EA and ubisoft doing the whole 1 use multiplayer activation code to combat that treacherous used games market. What happened to paying for a whole game, and actually getting that whole game? (not that i miss multiplayer much in most games other than BF3, where it actually hurts most of my organs to play the single player campaign)

Britishfan

Jan 9, 2013
I enjoyed ME3 multiplayer, but there was absolutely no reason why the single player couldn't have been offline, the only thing I noticed that happened when you went offline was all your War Assests & Galactic Readiness disappeared why couldn't these have been stored locally?

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
What the...
Seriously EA doesn't do Free to Play it does Pay to Win! There is no question about it that they will monetize the hell out of their "free" games. Their right after all they develop it but knowing EA it will not be done very smooth. Highly Probably you can play one of their free to play games for free yes BUT listen for a minute for a mere $15 you get a 3rd rank mech and you have 1 month of 10x XP bonus. Also you get preferred access to quicker servers. Actually there are not enough servers so guess what you get to play while the freeloaders stare at a "All servers are full try again later" screen.

But lets not be outdone with mere that also you can buy the $10 a month, yes month, triple XP bonus subscription. Why play for weeks if you can play for days to get leveled up.

Oh that shiny mech there? Well sorry there is NO way to earn that in game. It is part of the Shiny Mech pack that you can buy for a mere $25. You get allot more of course oh so much more 5x XP for 3 months. Can you belief the value of this package? At last there is a nice way for you to buy new mechs with in game credits, you can buy those for real money.. hooray.

Look that is EA to the booth and sadly that is kinda the way how to monetize online games. Yes the free version works but so much isn't there that the payed for version gets. Most lovely part is the xp bonus boost. Oh yes... why play for 80 hours if you can play for just 8 and get up to level 10. Hooray!

And yet even in good games this kinda is the way it goes. Few F2P games won't give you restrictions like that.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Thank you, EA. My gaming backlog of GOOD single player games I wanted to play but didn't have a chance to because I was too busy playing newer ones was getting way too big. Now I know I don't have to bother playing anything you're going to release in the near future, which should give me some breathing room to work on those older games I've been meaning to get to.

Get back to me when you have something I want to play and maybe I'll be interested.