EA Puts Mirror's Edge, The Saboteur, and Spore on GOG with No DRM

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
EA Puts Mirror's Edge, The Saboteur, and Spore on GOG with No DRM

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1351/1351485.jpgThree solid EA titles land on GOG.com, and they're all DRM-free.

If you're one of those folks that doesn't want anything to do with EA's Origin service, you'll be glad to hear that three more EA titles have made their way to GOG.com's DRM-free store. Even better, all three of them are on sale. The three games are:

Mirror's Edge: EA's first-person runner that tasks you with surviving as a courier in a repressive corporate dystopia.
The Saboteur: Pandemic Studios' open-world World War II adventure that starts out black and white and turns to color as you liberate Paris.
Spore: The Maxis-developed strategy game that lets you design just about any creature you want, and then evolve it and take it into space.

All three of the games are on sale, with Mirror's Edge and The Saboteur priced at $9.99 right now, and Spore at $11.99. That pricing will only run for a week, so grab them soon if you want to save.

You can find all three at GOG.com [https://www.gog.com/]

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
God damn. Never thought I'd see the day. Granted these are small fry titles. EA doesn't seem willing to part with its monopoly on big names.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Big whoop. Maybe add the third games of MULTIPLE series to things like Steam. Ya know, Mass Effect 3 and Dead Space 3. Dragon Age Inquisition is also not on Steam, but neither is DA2.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
The Saboteur is an awesome game. It's basically like a Mercenaries game set in WW2. I love it. And I want to have it on GoG.

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
As someone who has a boxed copy of Spore sitting on the shelf behind him (to serve as a reminder that even I sometimes make profoundly stupid mistakes), the thought of more people being duped into buying it makes me wince.

But still, this is EA knowingly (and, more importantly, currently) releasing games DRM-free. Baby steps are still progress, I suppose.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
didnt expect mirrors edge in there. especially since they have released catalyst. but, i own the retail version that didnt require origin and i still play the game every now and then.
EA is really improving them self very slowly. maybe is their way since they know they are notorious and want to get rid of it very slowly in hope people slowly forget what they were.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
Wow, that's kind of a surprise. Too bad I own the two games of those that I would get. Still tempted to get the Saboteur again to get it drm-free (I've had a hard time getting it to work on my current build). I've still been shlepping around my old mirror's edge retail install that I (stupidly) bought the dlc for. If there ever was a game that needed a map editor it was mirror's edge.

I'm getting the impression EA is just totally allergic to steam releases more than anything else. Must be some sort of crippling fear of money and success. (I haven't played any of their newer games since Origin came out.)

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
A token effort on what amounts to abandonware games, but I give credit for the lack of DRM. Granted, they would lose literally no money releasing the games without it now as no one would give a damn who would pirate it in the first place this late from their releases, but they did still do it. So for the token effort, I give them a token "huh, how bout that" shrug for now. The best they have gotten out of me in a while when it comes to releases though. They release stuff that has been finished on this half of the decade on steam and I might care more.

Bolt-206

Dec 6, 2010
Given how this was the first time they've done something like this (as far as I know), I'd like to imagine that they'll do the same for other games of theirs, later down the line.
And if you are EA, let me give you a suggestion;
You know that game you killed off the servers for, earlier this year? And related to Spore - a title you've now given no DRM for?
...No? Keep guessing, I've got time.

It's Darkspore - give me a DRM free version of that, please.
(And if I could keep the save data I had from when I last played that'd be great.)

StormTheGate

Jul 31, 2013
Never thought I'd see the day EA released anything DRM Free, let along on another platform. Maybe they can start releasing the old SimCity games on the platform too, that'd be great.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Well, at least this gives me an excuse to finally buy the Saboteur. Already own Spore and Mirrors Edge so don't particularly care there.

Unless, by chance, GOG got the version of Spore that isn't, let's say, disappointing.

nickpy

Oct 9, 2010
StormTheGate said:
Never thought I'd see the day EA released anything DRM Free, let along on another platform. Maybe they can start releasing the old SimCity games on the platform too, that'd be great.
SimCity 2000, 3000 and 4 are all already available on GoG.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Recusant said:
As someone who has a boxed copy of Spore sitting on the shelf behind him (to serve as a reminder that even I sometimes make profoundly stupid mistakes), the thought of more people being duped into buying it makes me wince.
As someone who played Spore and really liked it, I don't really care. If you got "duped" it's your own fault. I wasn't.

Bolt-206 said:
Given how this was the first time they've done something like this (as far as I know), I'd like to imagine that they'll do the same for other games of theirs, later down the line.
That actually is EA doing other games. While there were older EA games on GOG before - stuff like Dungeon Keeper and Syndicate (the original), they also started releasing newer games on there as well - I believe the first newer game of EA's that got onto GOG was SimCity 4 and then more recently they released Dragon Age: Origins there. Somewhere in between Jade Empires also hopped in but that wasn't originally developed or published by EA - they acquired the rights later, so the former two are more important.

So, yeah that isn't the first time EA have done thus and they have followed it up with more of it.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
nickpy said:
StormTheGate said:
SimCity 2000, 3000 and 4 are all already available on GoG.
Along with Dead space, Dragon Age Origins Ultimate, Jade Empire, KoTOR 1 & 2, Republic Commando, for EAs more modern offerings available on GOG. Of course the last 3 are now considered Disney, even though they were EA/Biowares production.

_________

These additions to the vastly superior GOG library makes me want to party like its 2009. Or I would if I had not already played all I wanted out of these three choices. I know Ill eventually pick them up, Just to own them in a proper digital format, but likely around a seasonal sale, or maybe later.

Im glad EA is at least continuing to support GOG with logically moving their libraries into DRM free status like they should have always been. For all the Hatred EA earns this is something other publishers need to emulate because it only helps the sales of their products. Major publishers like Activision havent added much of anything new to GoG in ages. It was like a miracle for GoG to get Bethesda to loosen that steam powered grip to allow up to Morrowind to slip through.

What really needs to happen is people need to stop buying inferior licenses because they are beholden to a libray through steam. Once people get over the concept of "thats where all my games are" and start actually buying games instead of subscription leases that can be taken away at any time with or without reason, it will go a long way towards repairing the damage steam has done to not only the gaming industry but digital commerce in general.

Sorry for the rant... Old habits die hard.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Spore was the straw that broke the camels back and made me stop buying physical pc games altogether, thanks to its DRM and thanks to me believing publishers gave a fuck about end user experience.
It's funny how the shift to full digital ultimately hurt publishers because the foundation for their existence erodes and how it gave indie devs a huge, ever growing platform.

Seeing that hunk of junk DRM-free as it always should have been is oddly karmic.
But still, too little too late.

Apr 5, 2008
The Saboteur is such a great game, I'm so sad it was Pandemic's last. There is nothing quite like it and I honestly wish there could've been a sequel/remaster or something that elevated this great game to greater heights. It could have been improved in so many ways that would have put it into the same league as the greatest games instead of the flawed gems category. I still love it to this day; the characters, setting, ambience and atmosphere have no comparison with any modern titles.

Couldn't give less of a damn about the other two. Mirror's Edge was an awful game in every way, Spore was an idea, not a whole game.

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
Recusant said:

But still, this is EA knowingly (and, more importantly, currently) releasing games DRM-free. Baby steps are still progress, I suppose.
Well they're also selling Daikatana

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
Speaking of EA. ANyone noticed that the EA sorta just quietly discontinued the 'On the House' program.