EA Puts Muscle Behind Deathspank and Shank

Sad Robot

Nov 1, 2009
Hopeless Bastard said:
Well, EA hoisting these games up on their shoulders doesn't tell me, "these games are experimental and risky! Our investment may burn us, but we honestly believe in the product!" It tells me EA sees these games as naturally occurring forms of the type of games they make. Once someone starts saying, "Think popular game X combined with elements from popular franchise Y!" I'm basically seeing a shovel manufacturer reporting it found a tree with branches that just naturally grow with a shovel shape. Then reporting they've bought all rights to grow and harvest these trees, and any remaining naturally occurring trees will be razed by law enforcement.
Of course they're not going to say that the product might burn them. They would not be distributing those games if they didn't believe in them. The fact that they are publishing them is a sign of them believing that people might want to buy them. Investing in a new IP and a company that hasn't made their name yet is always a risk. Granted, taking a risk on a small budget game, or any simple publishing deal, is less of a risk than financing a blockbuster, but the income is less likely to be high as well. The fact that EA is supporting this kind of stuff is a sign that it believes gamers want something else than endless sequels to their current blockbuster franchises.

Fair enough, I don't believe they'd go for something totally bizarre either. They want at least some sense of familiarity in the product, which is understandable. It would be hard to sell a game that went out of its way to be subversive in every way.

I happen to think progress is best incorporated into art through refinement rather than subversion, though I can see the appeal in both. Most people wouldn't, however.

Kollega said:
Simriel said:
When did EA become the GOOD guys here? And when did activision become the devil?
Since about 2008 or so. EA realised that bad publicity isn't worth few extra dollars of profit, and are trying to improve their image. Activision with their business practices, meanwhile, descend further and further towards a hybrid of Hitler and Skeletor whose piss is pure liquid malevolence.

As for the topic at hand - well, if EA are ready to provide marketing for indie games while not actually taking over the studios, it can only be a good thing.
Also this.

Blahsum

Feb 28, 2010
Ah, the wheel in the sky keeps on turning. We all forget that in the Nineties today's big guys will still being upstarts (or at least still clawing their way to the top) and Acclaim was the de-facto publisher juggernaut...

Good on EA. I have a lot of beef with the company, but at least since Riccitello returned, things have been looking a bit better. Mainly, it published Brutal Legend (and I did love the photo of Riccitello and his family in the end-credits).