EA Retains Licence to make Video Games

dunnace

Oct 10, 2008
I'm sorry, quote of the year right here:

"Portal isn't really a Valve game"

No no, you're right, the fact it was developed at Valve, for Valve, on Valve's budget and equipment and has ties to Valve's other licences makes it a game by someone else.

Valve have a released a game a year since 2007, the only contestable year is 2010 when they instead converted their entire catalogue to Mac and released the free Alien Swarm title.

EVEN SO this post isn't EA bashing, it's merely a little joke, the site isn't malicious against any single developer we just go where the jokes are and this is based on EA keeping the licence for NHL.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
xPrometheusx said:
Contradict yourself much? Compare valve and CoD for their coop multiplayer, and then bring up campaign? Also, did you just cite a CoD campaign as a plus for their games? I'm pretty sure you're just trolling at this point...
Except that there's nothing wrong with CoD's campaign mode. The story is silly, granted, but it's still a solid experience delivered more regularly than anything Valve come up with.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
Wait, what? Am I reading that wrong or did it say that EA owns the "license to the franchise of video games"? I'm pretty sure an entire industry isn't a franchise.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Sober Thal said:
leet_x1337 said:
Sober Thal said:
-snip-

I know, it sucks that Valve stopped making games so many years ago, but we can still be helpless sheep and hope for the best, eh? That, or we can settle for the co-op multiplayer CoD shit that they have been releasing for the past few years.
What? What valve games have you been playing? Left 4 Dead 1/2, Portal 1/2 and CS GO are the games they've released in the last few years, and the only relation to CoD they have are they're in first person and have guns. And in the case of portal, even that doesn't work.

I'm not going to argue you with your taste in games, but saying they release CoD esque games is just talking out of your arse.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Sober Thal said:
elvor0 said:
Sober Thal said:
leet_x1337 said:
Sober Thal said:
-snip-

I know, it sucks that Valve stopped making games so many years ago, but we can still be helpless sheep and hope for the best, eh? That, or we can settle for the co-op multiplayer CoD shit that they have been releasing for the past few years.
What? What valve games have you been playing? Left 4 Dead 1/2, Portal 1/2 and CS GO are the games they've released in the last few years, and the only relation to CoD they have are they're in first person and have guns. And in the case of portal, even that doesn't work.

I'm not going to argue you with your taste in games, but saying they release CoD esque games is just talking out of your arse.

TheSniperFan said:
Sober Thal said:
leet_x1337 said:
I just need to cry every now and then because Valve hasn't made anything for me lately. 8 years and we have what, 10 hours of Portal 1 and 2?
Wikipedia disagrees with you:

Portal 2 (2011)
Alien Swarm (2010)
Left 4 Dead 2 (2009)
Left 4 Dead (2008)
Portal (2007)
Team Fortress 2 (2007)
Half-Life² Episode Two (2007)
Half-Life² Episode One (2006)
Half-Life: Deathmatch: Source (2006)
Day of Defeat: Source (2005)
Half-Life 2: Lost Coast (2005)
Counter-Strike: Condition Zero (2004)
Counter-Strike: Source (2004)

If only Portal and Portal 2 were your taste that's fine. But saying that Valve has only released those two in the past 8 years is far from the truth.
I'm just not a fan of multiplayer. It seems that's all Valve wants to do now-a-days.
Well that's a fair point, I would love Half Life ep3 as much as the next man, it was the way you compared their games to CoD purely on the basis of having co op in it that irked me.

If Valve really wanted to sell out, they quite easily could, but their games all tend to be pretty unique (granted CS Go is /less/ unique, but it has a different feel and mechanics than most modern shooters), Left 4 Dead is great fun, as is Portal 2s Co-op. But yeah, fair enough if you don't like multiplayer, but don't go comparing Valves games to CoD or as you can see, people will pull you up on it.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
While I was going to post in this, I got significantly more enjoyment replacing 'EA' with Nickleback, and 'Valve' with Justin Bieber.

But in all seroiusness, do EA still develop games?

dunnace

Oct 10, 2008
saintdane05 said:
Looks like the site is a joke. Literately, it looks like the Onion for gamers.
That's very much the intention, we update every week day, do check us out regularly!

Sorry I seem to have interrupted a flame war. Continue!

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
dunnace said:
saintdane05 said:
Looks like the site is a joke. Literately, it looks like the Onion for gamers.
That's very much the intention, we update every week day, do check us out regularly!

Sorry I seem to have interrupted a flame war. Continue!
Ooh, a flame war? This should be fun.

<youtube=JPZOaPg1fqo>

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
Sober Thal said:
Pandabearparade said:
Sober Thal said:
Oh you baseless EA haters, you'll ruin us all!
How about people who have legitimate problems with EA?
Never heard of anyone that fits that description.
Spoken like a true EA fanboy. Any complaints levied against them are just haters hating as EA can do no wrong.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Thoric485 said:
I'd love to see Activision-Blizzard enter the sports market. The only thing EA will have to brag about then will be The Sims.
They could make a football game starring Humans, Orcs, Dwarves and Elves. Then they can get sued by Games workshop.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Heh, that website is golden. Check this article out, it's even better:

http://pixelgrater.com/2012/07/23/valve-accidentally-sell-thq-in-steam-sale-blunder/

Bookmarked.
I wish the world actually worked this way. Corporate news would be way more entertaining.