EA to Shut Down Old Game Servers - BF2, Red Alert 3 And More

ratix2

Feb 6, 2008
Callate said:
So, of course they're going to release the code to allow people to create their own servers so they can show their loyalty to long-established franchises and the fans who have allowed them to endure.
the dedicated server files have been available for bf2 and some of the others since day one. ea is only pulling the plug on the master server and the gsp's (game service providers). id did this with the doom and quake games years ago but the games still have active servers, you just have to find them through third party server browsers. hopefully the battlefield games will still be able to operate this way.

and so much for ea saying they were going to find new server providers for all the old games being affected by the gamespy shutdown. last time i was on battlefield 2 there were still a ton of servers full up with players. shame to see it go.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
So lemee get this straight: EA shuts down old servers for the multiplayer component of games with tiny playerbases to save potentially thousands of dollars and this sensible, if business minded, decision somehow makes them evil? mmmm'K. *goes back to Titanfall*

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
anthony87 said:
Well shit...and here I've been thinking about picking up Battlefield 2142 after my friend gushing about it so many times.
Pick it up and play SP/lan, it's just the online servers that are effected.

Exhibit A of why always online can kiss my @$$.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Damn, I just got Stsr Wars Battlefront 2.

Callate said:
Oh, and if anyone still thinks trying to make the latest SimCity online-only is trivial and people should get over it...? Yeah. This right here.
To be frank, anyone not concerned with online-only games probably won't be playing SimCity when it goes dark.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
major_chaos said:
So lemee get this straight: EA shuts down old servers for the multiplayer component of games with tiny playerbases to save potentially thousands of dollars and this sensible, if business minded, decision somehow makes them evil? mmmm'K. *goes back to Titanfall*
And the award for "misses the whole point" goes too....

Anyway, a lot of the games on the list have active online communities, some which put recently released games to shame. EA can't use the "we're doing it to save money" for the simple reason that Sim City showed us they could care less about the cost of servers, if they hasn't made that game have always online DRM the money they wasted on that could have kept these games active for another decade.

All this comes before the fact that a lot of these games are online only, which means they're basically worthless after the shutdown, lest EA allow private servers to remain active.

Although the Titanfall part of your comment only makes the whole thing funnier, since this is the fate Titanfall has waiting for it, only unlike most of these games it's unlikely there will be anyone unset about the shutdown.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
major_chaos said:
Kind of what I was thinking, I love Red Alert 3, C&C 3+Kanes Wrath and Battlefront II (doesn't seem to work on my PC at all but had fun back in the PS2 days) but these games currently have next to nothing in terms of communities, I can hardly see much if anything going on for the C&C games of old, if they are they aren't very vocal and large enough at all, almost the same could be said about battlefront II.

The point is the games are old now, some over others and I can see why they're shutting them down in order to save money, companies will do that so this isn't anything new, besides even if they gave away stuff like Red Alert 3 for user use I can't see thousands of home owned, user paid servers sprouting up, I just can't see that realistically.

But knowing this being an EA article it's no surprise when we see anyone quick to spin this into the biggest evil twisted master mind plot of the diabolically clever EA.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
right after a star wars sale involving battlefront 2, EA, you disgusting motherfuckers

thanks, you added that little extra to convince me of my decision of not buying dragon age

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Shadow-Phoenix said:
major_chaos said:
Kind of what I was thinking, I love Red Alert 3, C&C 3+Kanes Wrath and Battlefront II (doesn't seem to work on my PC at all but had fun back in the PS2 days) but these games currently have next to nothing in terms of communities, I can hardly see much if anything going on for the C&C games of old, if they are they aren't very vocal and large enough at all, almost the same could be said about battlefront II.

The point is the games are old now, some over others and I can see why they're shutting them down in order to save money, companies will do that so this isn't anything new, besides even if they gave away stuff like Red Alert 3 for user use I can't see thousands of home owned, user paid servers sprouting up, I just can't see that realistically.

But knowing this being an EA article it's no surprise when we see anyone quick to spin this into the biggest evil twisted master mind plot of the diabolically clever EA.
have valve and blizzard turned off their servers for old games? no

adding to that, some of those games have significant communities, i think BF2 still does, a battlefront 2 sold quite a bit during the last "may the 4th be with you" sale, i didnt buy it thank god, but do you think its seriously fair to shut down the servers of a game shortly after a sale in which many people bought the game? is bullcrap any way you see it, they didnt even gave a warning

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
NuclearKangaroo said:
have valve and blizzard turned off their servers for old games? no

adding to that, some of those games have significant communities, i think BF2 still does, a battlefront 2 sold quite a bit during the last "may the 4th be with you" sale, i didnt buy it thank god, but do you think its seriously fair to shut down the servers of a game shortly after a sale in which many people bought the game? is bullcrap any way you see it, they didnt even gave a warning
I think both of those companies are different for they don't actually host the servers they are just matchmaking, its why all Blizzard games since Diablo 1 have used battle.net and its the same with Valve games they just provide the match making instead of actually hosting the games.

Now I really don't play any of the games EA has announced the shutdown for (at least anymore), but are they all hosted by EA or are they matchmaking servers?

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Ultratwinkie said:
Servers aren't cheap, and people move on.
Servers for games where people have moved on are dirt cheap. It's pretty much one or the other; either people aren't playing, or its costly. A few megabytes of RAM and listening on a port nobody's calling on a virtual server farm doesn't really cost much of anything at all.

Ultratwinkie said:
It has nothing to do with DRM or anything.
You've got it backwards. The problem isn't that these games have always-online DRM; the problem is that games with always-online DRM are going to have those servers shut down, most likely without any sort of patch.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
Hopefully fan servers can keep these games alive, either way I intend to play some of these games before june 30.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Yeah, I replayed BF2 recently and it isn't as good as I remembered, for all the flak BF3 gets, it truly improved a LOT of things over BF2, also Planetside 2 is great, so yeah, BF2 had it's run, it's time to let it go. (Please don't quote me on this, I know I said something you don't agree with and I respect that, so please, think about what you're going so say before hitting that "quote" button).

Also... WHAT!???, Neverwinter Nights!??, first they shut down the master servers and now they're entirely canceling the multiplayer altogether!??, WHY!??, I mean, come on EA!, I was about to set up a party of buddies to play Eye of The Beholder 1 & 2!. I'm sure fans will find a way, but it definitely will be a hassle for new players, I know I wouldn't be bothered if I didn't liked the game in the first place.

Crysis 1 and Wars' multiplayer had a lot of potential, pretty much Battlefield with power suits, but hackers kinda ruined it in the long run. Also I never bothered with Crysis 2 multiplayer and I doubt I'll be bothered to play it before it gets shut down for good.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
One second.. hasnt nwn and nwn2s server browser been shut down completly by gamespy anyways?

And doesnt it work with dedicated servers in both cases where you can still direct connect to IP adresses? Also werent those games made by Atari and not by EA?

It would be news to me that EA has any sway over what goes on in NWN since they never had their hand in it to begin with.

Gamespy had dropped their support for the game along with a shitton of other games some time ago but that doesnt mean that you cant still use them when you have a direct connect option that omits the whole login thing.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Karadalis said:
One second.. hasnt nwn and nwn2s server browser been shut down completly by gamespy anyways?

And doesnt it work with dedicated servers in both cases where you can still direct connect to IP adresses? Also werent those games made by Atari and not by EA?

It would be news to me that EA has any sway over what goes on in NWN since they never had their hand in it to begin with.

Gamespy had dropped their support for the game along with a shitton of other games some time ago but that doesnt mean that you cant still use them when you have a direct connect option that omits the whole login thing.
Being a BioWare game means EA has some degree of control over what should be done with the servers and yes, they shut down the master servers containing the list of servers you can connect to, an incovenience, but not as crippling as completely shutting down the multiplayer altogether, wich is pretty much exactly what they're doing.

Fortunately the game has LAN support, so it could be possible to set up an online lobby with Hamachi and similar means, but it's definitely not the same as playing on a dedicated server :/

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
first of all, how many of these games allow you to host your own private servers? beucase if they do, thats fine you can still play muiltiplayer on community servers and they are just pulling the official servers, which in any healthy community is the minority servers anyway.
now if they dont have that, we have a problem as they are loosing part of the game here.

this right here tells us one thing: allow community to host their own servers and you wont have to pay for old servers since community will do it for you. and if there is no community, well, then noone is going to complain anyway.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Zontar said:
And the award for "misses the whole point" goes too....
You and me just aren't going to get along are we?

, if they hasn't made that game have always online DRM the money they wasted on that could have kept these games active for another decade.
This is slightly bizarre unsubstantiated conjecture.

All this comes before the fact that a lot of these games are online only,
Such is the risk of games that live and die entirely on their multiplayer. I really think anyone who buys a MP focused game
without acknowledging that someday it will wither and die needs to think harder about their purchases.

Although the Titanfall part of your comment only makes the whole thing funnier, since this is the fate Titanfall has waiting for it, only unlike most of these games it's unlikely there will be anyone unset about the shutdown.
You are right, I doubt anyone will care. I know I won't because there has never been a game I care all that much about after six years. Besides by then there will doubtless be a sequel that has hopefully improved on the original. (ya know, like what happened to battlefield.)

All that said I get the impression that the point of your closing comment was to condescend at my preference in games? If so I'm slightly amused that you think you are the arbiter of what is quality and what games people will miss.

james.sponge

Mar 4, 2013
Therumancer said:
The one that gets me is them dropping "Neverwinter Nights" and "Neverwinter Nights 2" given that they both have fairly active communities with people even having built their own little pseudo-MMOs using it. Not my cup of tea, but I know a lot of people who are hugely into that (having met a lot of them playing Cryptic's Neverwinter).
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't NWN and NWN 2 allow you to establish your own private servers? I mean there are NWN 2 servers that bypass in-game server browser and gamespy altogether so they shouldn't be affected by EA's decision.