EA trying to make up with us consumers....but not in the way we want.

Tanner The Monotone

I'm Tired. What else is new?
Aug 25, 2010
http://www.ea.com/news/a-simcity-update-and-something-for-your-trouble

Well, for the unfortunate (like myself) that bought Sim city and have had to deal with the issues the game has had, we get a little gift.

Apparently if you bought the game before they sent this out, they will be giving you a code for a free game (resorting to bribery are we?).

Reading through it, I find it funny that they point out the biggest flaw in the game, and yet they are continuing on the same path as before.

Anyway, how do you feel about this?

EDIT: The bribery statement was a joke on my part.

Don Incognito

Feb 6, 2013
On the one hand, it is nice to see someone admit that things are screwed up. On the other, to completely miss the forest for the trees...

And, I am just gonna guess here, nothing over $20 will qualify. If otherwise, I will admit I am wrong. But I still won?t buy this broken piece of **** where the city size is roughly equivalent to a Sims 3 neighborhood, you can?t save your game locally, you can?t make your own connections to neighboring cities, can?t decide on your own zoning density, can?t mod content, and can?t even know how long you can play it because not only are the servers ****, but they could be turned off at any time for any reason at EA?s behest, at which point the game is essentially gone.

So, yeah. **** you in the ear with an elephant dick, EA.

Tanner The Monotone

I'm Tired. What else is new?
Aug 25, 2010
Forlong said:
EA is actually giving REWARDS to loyal customers. Call Lucifer and tell him to turn off his AC. There may be hope for the universe yet.
It's more of a "here's some free crap, now stop complaining" thing more than anything.

TheCommanders

ohmygodimonfire
Nov 30, 2011
Hurray! Because the horrendously-designed-adventure-into-justifying-an-always-online-drm-microtransactional-and-forced-multiplayer-model was predictably stupid and didn't work, we're going to bribe you into forgetting about it by giving you one of our other horrendously-designed-adventures-into-justifying-an-always-online-drm-microtransactional-and-forced-multiplayer-model for free!

The real tragedy here has nothing to do with Sim City and everything to do with EA being completely oblivious to the fact that it's their horrible business practices (and swtor) that have reduced their stocks to the global currency equivalent of rupees. This probably has to do with the fact that PEOPLE KEEP BUYING THESE GAMES.

HontooNoNeko

No more parties?
Nov 29, 2009
Wait that announcement is from Lucy Bradshaw who is the manager of Maxis the developers not EAs upper management. It's kind of sad really because the game looks really good it just has terrible DRM decisions dragging it to its grave from the actual publishers. I can't help but feel sorry for Maxis really, They made a pretty decent game that even someone like me who never liked Simcity would like to play and now they are left offering gifts for their managements fuck ups.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
HontooNoNeko said:
Wait that announcement is from Lucy Bradshaw who is the manager of Maxis the developers not EAs upper management. It's kind of sad really because the game looks really good it just has terrible DRM decisions dragging it to its grave from the actual publishers. I can't help but feel sorry for Maxis really, They made a pretty decent game that even someone like me who never liked Simcity would like to play and now they are left offering gifts for their managements fuck ups.
Maxis IS EA. Maxis has been a division of EA for almost two decades now. You can't get any more EA than Maxis.

Maxis has not existed as a discrete entity for a very long time.

Nov 28, 2007
EA actually tries some form of compensation, and people complain. Why am I not surprised? I mean, granted, their screw up is still a big deal. I'm not disagreeing there. It could have also been avoided by having an offline mode. The fact that there isn't an offline mode is a big deal for Simcity. But the title just screams "overly self-important" to me. "They are giving compensation, but not the compensation I want!"

Just out of curiosity, what would have been the compensation fans wanted? The game being made free?

Sargonas42

The Doctor
Mar 25, 2010
HontooNoNeko said:
Shes the head of the Maxis label (an Executive Vice President), and answers to Frank Gibreau, President of all EA (gaming) Labels, who himself reports to the CEO John Riccitiello. Not quite sure how much more of a relevant upper management you can get out of this. With all things Sim, the buck stops with her.

thethird0611

Feb 19, 2011
thebobmaster said:
EA actually tries some form of compensation, and people complain. Why am I not surprised? I mean, granted, their screw up is still a big deal. I'm not disagreeing there. It could have also been avoided by having an offline mode. The fact that there isn't an offline mode is a big deal for Simcity. But the title just screams "overly self-important" to me. "They are giving compensation, but not the compensation I want!"

Just out of curiosity, what would have been the compensation fans wanted? The game being made free?
I honestly agree with you. Seriously, next time I go to a fast food place and they get my order wrong, not only will I full on yell at them as they remake it to a higher quality than most customers, but when they give me a 'next meal free' coupon, im going to yell at them some more for trying to bribe me!

I dont know about this site, seriously. I cant even tell who's hated more now, EA or Christians.

OP: This is a great thing EA is doing. Everyone is always getting onto EA for being greedy, yet they just gave out SO MANY codes. Thats not greedy, thats customer service.

EDIT: Also, your whole point is addressed in this article.

"I know that?s a little contrived ? kind of like buying a present for a friend after you did something crummy. But we feel bad about what happened. We?re hoping you won?t stay mad and that we?ll be friends again when SimCity is running at 100 percent."

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
It's good that the people that they inconvenienced are getting something out of it, but calling it a reward is a bit misleading. One can only hope that they learn their lesson and stop pulling crap like this in the future and if we're really lucky they might do away with the always online nonsense once and for all.

NiPah

May 8, 2009
Can't say I'm a big fan of how this was worded, sincerity is somewhat lost when she keeps bringing up how amazing the game is. Kudos for actually talking about the problem and how they messed up, while I'd argue it was by their own design that they were fated to fail it's still refreshing to see some responsibility taken. As for the gift? Nice touch, as she said something for your troubles.

Still can't say this endears me to purchase Simcity, I'll hold out awhile longer still both my computer and their servers can handle the game.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
thebobmaster said:

cant believe im agreeing with you in defence of EA here

i mean they fucked up big time and we should yell at them for it, but you cant yell at them for this. yes its only token but heck if i got a free game for this id be thankful. but then go on at them for SimCity itself

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
And if this had been Valve offering people a free game for their patience or loyalty people would be praising the ground their Headquarters is built on. Maybe I am just cynical, but I honestly feel that this is a nice move by EA. They have absolutely no obligation to give anyone anything extra and could have resorted to just sorting out the mess, offer a half-hearted apology and move on. I don't particularly care for EA, but at least give them credit where credit is due (and if this turns out to be a copy of Fifa '09, people are definitely within their right to complain again).

Vareoth

Mar 14, 2012
I get free stuff and thus I am happy.

I don't think that I or anyone else is entitled to anything more because we couldn't play our little video game for about 4 days. First world problems much?

Nevertheless, I still hope that EA and friends stop using an obviously broken DRM scheme.

porous_shield

Jan 25, 2012
Gethsemani said:
And if this had been Valve offering people a free game for their patience or loyalty people would be praising the ground their Headquarters is built on. Maybe I am just cynical, but I honestly feel that this is a nice move by EA. They have absolutely no obligation to give anyone anything extra and could have resorted to just sorting out the mess, offer a half-hearted apology and move on. I don't particularly care for EA, but at least give them credit where credit is due (and if this turns out to be a copy of Fifa '09, people are definitely within their right to complain again).
They had no obligation to give people anything but moves like this is what can give them better press instead of the hatred they get every time they rear their head. On the other hand, they brought this on themselves and I can definitely see people remembering the online debacle more than they will the free game they get out of it.

---

Hopefully that free game is better than Sony's offering when they got hacked; most people already had the big name games they offered.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
A single, unknown, digital game just doesn't seem like very good compensation to me...at all. If EA had anything resembling a soul they would make like Nintendo and give early adopters a free pass of an upcoming expansion or three or four since you just know Sim City as it is now is incomplete.

The best thing they could do would be to remove that asinine DRM since it does seem to be the root of the issue.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Why the fuck are you complaining about free shit?
Feel free to maintain that the launch/game was/is bad but don't go "UGH THEY'RE GIVING ME STUFF FOR FREE THE FUCK"

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
thebobmaster said:

Plain simple: removal of DRM. Any way, I would buy this stuff only if it had no always-online DRM, but I also need no EA games - the sell nothing I want to buy or even get for free.