EA Will Delay Battlefront if Something Goes Wrong

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
EA Will Delay Battlefront if Something Goes Wrong

But EA COO Peter Moore is nonetheless convinced that the game's launch will be as smooth as silk.

There's a trend among a lot of AAA releases these days that goes something along the lines of "ship now, fix later". It's happening right now with MCV [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/141347-Batman-Arkham-Knight-Removed-From-Steam-Store], EA COO Peter Moore said that there would be "no hesitation that if something went wrong with Battlefront, if it wasn't right, we would just push it."

He explained that "you can't ship it if it doesn't work or the quality isn't right. You just bite the bullet. Trust me, shipping Hardline in March was not the easiest thing to do from a business perspective, but it was the right thing to do from a player perspective."

However, despite this, Moore remains convinced that a delay simply wont be the case for Battlefront. "[ a delay] is not going to happen. The game is playable with 40-players already, and it is rock solid, so it ain't going to happen".

Following the fallout of Battlefield 4, Battlefield: Hardline was delayed from it's original October 2014 release date to March 2015 to ensure the game could be "as great as it can be".

Star Wars: Battlefront is currently slated for a November 20 release on PC, Xbox One and PS4.

Source: Video Gamer [http://issuu.com/newbayeurope/docs/mcv839_june_26th___july_3rd]

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Surely saying this, is just setting yourself up for humiliation for when it goes tits up. Whereas saying nothing, would keep you safe.
Oh well. Player first, right EA? ...right?

Ralancian

Jan 14, 2012
Multiplayer game based on popular FPS based on an IP in a massively popular universe. If this doesn't have server issues at launch (at the very best long lobby screens) I'll eat my hat (I don't own a hat).

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
If? How about you test your game more so major errors do not happen. Minor faults, fine, that happens with every since the birth of gaming but major ones? You better give those devs more time to complete and fix any major bugs, EA!!!

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Given how utterly negative the majority of the E3 coverage of Battlefront has been, I'm amazed it isn't delayed already.
Co-Optional summed it up best, a really poor overly simplified version of Battlefield... and the flying was terrible.

But then this is EA, maybe they're out to top The Old Republic, Hardline and Warfighter combined.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
For fuck's sake, nowadays we expect games to be broken on launch and the company has to assure us that it won't happen.

In Star Wars Battlefront EA's case, nah, you just jinxed it, man.

sagitel

Feb 25, 2012

EA game with no game breaking bugs on launch? you're gonna tell me next that fire is cold? hell froze over? water is no longer wet?

this will end badly for EA. battlefront will come out, it will not work and this will bite EA in the ass

Demagogue

Sperm Alien
Mar 26, 2009
If it is genuine then maybe MAYBE publishers & developers are learning they can't ship crap anymore.

But this is EA so... I'm not holding my breath.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
Company declares "We won't release product if it's not ready to be released"...Says a lot about the current state of the industry that this is considered newsworthy.

Just another reason why I love Nintendo games.People can say what they want about their perceived lack of originality etc but at least their games are not released before they're finished.It's very rare for a first party Nintendo games to have any major bugs at launch

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Uh...isn't that how delays work? What's EA gonna say next "If the game has bugs we will patch it" or "When the game is released we send it to the store" or "You put the disc in the machine"

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I don't see why they're doing this, the game has gone wrong on several fundamental levels already.

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
Well...Origin does offer refunds I think, and now that Steam does too, I'd say it's only a matter of time before Consoles implement a refund policy just to avoid looking bad, and I think publishers suspect this. The time is coming when someone who bought a broken game can just return it and get their money back (should've been the standard from the get-go really but them's the breaks) Publishers hate that this is happening no doubt, it will probably do nothing for the lying and excuse-making for avoidable issues that DON'T break a game, but it should teach certain companies the value of customer satisfaction...at least I hope this is what's happening

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Demagogue said:
If it is genuine then maybe MAYBE publishers & developers are learning they can't ship crap anymore.

But this is EA so... I'm not holding my breath.
Yeah, it's EA. The guys who did a return policy before Steam on PC. Well, some of the guys.

But more likely than publishers learning their lesson is publishers putting on a show after Unity and Arkham Knight.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
MetalDooley said:
Company declares "We won't release product if it's not ready to be released"...Says a lot about the current state of the industry that this is considered newsworthy.

Just another reason why I love Nintendo games.People can say what they want about their perceived lack of originality etc but at least their games are not released before they're finished.It's very rare for a first party Nintendo games to have any major bugs at launch
Yeah. Remember the days when games almost always worked perfectly right at the start with no need for patches and games with gamebreaking bugs were near nonexistent? I do. It was the same time that games were released whole instead of being chopped up piecemeal and sold back to the walking wallets-oops- I mean "customers" at ridiculous inflated prices, unlockables required doing something in game instead of shelling out more money, buying a game meant it was yours to do with as you wish forever as long as you didn't break the law instead of a service they could take away from you at any time whenever they wanted, etc.

I weep for what the video game industry has become, and even more so for the generation that's coming soon and is going to have to grow up being blatantly cheated by the video game industry but not caring because that's all they know. I'm only 28 and I feel like an old man saying that. In my day...

Quantum Glass

Mar 19, 2013
You know what? I'm cool with this. A lot of games are shipped with problems, and what EA is saying here is that they're not going to allow that.

Good for them.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Slow down, EA. Don't want to get to progressive when it comes to the basic consumer rights of releasing a working product.

mew4ever23

Mar 21, 2008
*snnrk* Yeah. Right. If it's a hotly anticipated game that must connect to servers, its going to have issues at launch.

I miss the days when games were released that actually worked without patching.