EA Wins Title of "Worst Company in America"

Hevva

Shipwrecked, comatose, newsie
Aug 2, 2011

Citizens of the internet have crowned EA "The Worst Company in America" in a Consumerist.com poll.

Corporations, generally speaking, aren't popular. We lambast them for inhuman lending practices, faceless and faulty customer service, stagnant pay rates, and a wide variety of other perceived misdemeanors. So, which one do internet users dislike the most this year? AT&T? BP? Comcast? All worthy contenders, sure, but nope. According to a recent poll conducted by Consumerist.com [http://consumerist.com/2012/04/congratulations-ea-you-are-the-worst-company-in-america-for-2012.html], the internet of today regards game publisher EA as "The Worst Company in America."

EA faced stiff competition from WalMart, Citibank, the US Postal Service and a small army of other corporations in Consumerist's knock-out poll before squaring up to the much-reviled Bank of America in the final. Bank of America, which contributed to the global financial crisis several years ago and later absorbed 138 billion dollars' worth [http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7832484.stm] of taxpayer-funded bailout money, received just under half as many votes as EA in the final round.

Consumerist.com says that it will now send EA "The Golden Poo" trophy in recognition of the company's victory. Any guesses on what the special twist might be? "Traditionally, the Poo has been delivered on its little red pillow," writes the Consumerist. "But this year, we'll give EA three different color options for its pillow, though in the end it's still the same old Poo." Yup.

EA itself doesn't seem terribly upset about having won The Golden Poo, however. In a statement, EA Senior Director of Corporate Communications John Reseburg told Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5899092/worst-company-in-america-ea-says-halliburton-must-be-relieved-it-wasnt-nominated?utm_campaign=socialflow_kotaku_twitter&utm_source=kotaku_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow] that, "We're sure that British Petroleum, AIG, Philip Morris, and Halliburton are all relieved they weren't nominated this year. We're going to continue making award-winning games and services played by more than 300 million people worldwide."

Consumerist.com cites the reasons for EA's victory as being its attempts to "nickel and dime consumers to death" and "deliberately hold back game content with the sole intent of charging a fee for it at a later date." With that in mind, it's hard to decide whether the outcome of the poll says more about internet users or EA itself. Would the publisher have fared better if the poll had been conducted six months ago? Is its inclusion a statement on the growing importance of the games industry in America? Is EA really worse than Bank of America and WalMart? I'm beseiged by questions, Escapists. Help a sister out.

Source: Consumerist.com [http://consumerist.com/2012/04/congratulations-ea-you-are-the-worst-company-in-america-for-2012.html]

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
And of course, EA learns nothing from this, saying "Fuck you, we still make shitloads of cash off our vidya games."

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
"And as mysteriously as it appeared, Consumerist.com vanished!"

I wouldn't be suprised.

As for the "award", those bastards deserve it. Not only for charging for held back content, but destroying the games that got their ugly-ass on the map in the first place.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I think the results would have been quite different if only American citizens could vote in it. The reason being: EA fucks everyone while Bank of America only really directly fucks Americans. Why would you vote for a corporation that doesn't even have clients in your country?

Anyway, the whole pillow thing is hilarious and EA's response is disgustingly pretentious. I love this.

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
While I hate EA and it would be a much better world if EA was the worst company in America, sadly it isnt.

Oh and screw EA for their brush off of the fact that they just got voted the WORST and will just continue doing the exact same thing, seriously... screw those d-bags.

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
Hevva said:

EA itself doesn't seem terribly upset about having won The Golden Poo, however. In a statement, EA Senior Director of Corporate Communications John Reseburg told Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5899092/worst-company-in-america-ea-says-halliburton-must-be-relieved-it-wasnt-nominated?utm_campaign=socialflow_kotaku_twitter&utm_source=kotaku_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow] that, "We're sure that British Petroleum, AIG, Philip Morris, and Halliburton are all relieved they weren't nominated this year. We're going to continue making award-winning games and services played by more than 300 million people worldwide."
And about half of em now resent you. Yeah great job guys! Keep it up!

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
The reasons I think that EA won, while companies that make much bigger problems for people, is that while BP's rig blew up, they didn't MEAN for it to blow up, and while Bank of America helped crash the world economy, they didn't MEAN to crash the world economy. Ea on the other hand, seems to know exactly what they're doing, and proceed to sit there cackling like Mr. Burns counting his millions. Hence the comments from EA at the end.
From my opinion of course.

Sis

Apr 2, 2012
Kay, sis, here's the skinny. You sis, not me sis, by the way. It's us sending EA a clear cut message. It's just a stupid award like The Oscars, but it's message is far more poignant. They now know that their poo won't fly.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Aww, I was hoping they'd give EA the choice of what color they got rather than all three. I'm just curious which one they'd choose... although I'm guessing green for unrelated reasons.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008

I'm probably going to be the only person to say this.

A) The ONLY reason they won is because of the ME3 ending debacle, and that's pathetic.

B) Their response was well said, as there is no other way to respond to something like that, and it's true (whether or not that's unfortunate is up to people to decide for themselves).

Now excuse me whilst I jump behind this fifty foot thick flame shield and prepare my twenty shotguns for the potential shit storm.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
ZeroMachine said:

A) The ONLY reason they won is because of the ME3 ending debacle, and that's pathetic.

B) Their response was well said, as there is no other way to respond to something like that, and it's true (whether or not that's unfortunate is up to people to decide for themselves).

Now excuse me whilst I jump behind this fifty foot thick flame shield and prepare my twenty shotguns for the potential shit storm.
To be fair everyone has hated EA for years now. If ME3's ending wasn't the current issue I am sure something else EA-related would be. We'd probably still be arguing about the Prothean DLC right now if the ending didn't suck.

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
While EA deserves to burn in the deepest pit of gaming hell....they dont deserve this.
They make bad products but BA screws an entire country out of house and home.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Fappy said:
ZeroMachine said:

To be fair everyone has hated EA for years now. If ME3's ending wasn't the current issue I am sure something else EA-related would be. We'd probably still be arguing about the Prothean DLC right now if the ending didn't suck.
*peaks out*

... Th... is this a trick to get me to come out from behind the shield?

... Ok... Uh, wellNOSTAYBACK!

... Well... Yeah, I guess. But the thing is, the ending debacle was more or less the last straw, if the straw the broke the camels back was a nuke. People never ACTIVELY fought them before to any great/coordinated extent.

Now we have Retake Mass Effect, nearly ever donor of which probably voted for them to be on this.

Before it was a loose group of people that just didn't like their business practices. It's now a veritable army out for blood, BECAUSE of the ending. I just find it pretty sad that it was not one of their shady business practices that nuked the camel's back, but just the dislike (hatred, whatever) of the ending.

Since that's why they "won" this award, I think it's rather pathetic. That's all.

Now GET OFF MY LAWN *jumps back behind shield*

Sep 14, 2009
Fappy said:
I think the results would have been quite different if only American citizens could vote in it. The reason being: EA fucks everyone while Bank of America only really directly fucks Americans. Why would you vote for a corporation that doesn't even have clients in your country?

Anyway, the whole pillow thing is hilarious and EA's response is disgustingly pretentious. I love this.
agreed. while bank of america is overall worse to direct americans, the overall poll definitely affects the world, which is EA's sweet tooth.

Honestly EA is the biggest self absorbed piece of shit on the market right now. I used to say it about activision and/or ubisoft but jeesh...EA you are really taking the cake here and are gleaming about it.

Frotality

Oct 25, 2010
hmm... i think activision or capcom should have had a running chance. taking more recents events into consideration, DEFINITELY capcom. but EA worked hard to be terrible, they deserved it. im happy for their victory.

i can understand why EA wins, banks and walmart are masters of manipulating public opinion, while EA has just been awful and barely attempted to excuse it.

why do people hate EA more than infinitely more horrible companies? its like the difference between satan murdering puppies and a human murdering puppies. with the former its kind of expected behaviour, with the latter it is clearly abhorrent behaviour, and much more unsettling. we play games to escape the bullshit of the world, it is much more painful when the bullshit invades our free time than when we deal with it where it is expected to be.

Electric Alpaca

What's on the menu?
May 2, 2011
Hevva said:
Bank of America, which contributed to the global financial crisis several years ago and later absorbed 138 billion dollars' worth [http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7832484.stm] of taxpayer-funded bailout money, received just under half as many votes as EA in the final round.

Consumerist.com cites the reasons for EA's victory as being its attempts to "to nickel and dime consumers to death" and "deliberately hold back game content with the sole intent of charging a fee for it at a later date." With that in mind, it's hard to decide whether the outcome of the poll says more about internet users or EA itself.
The emboldened part is what I believe in; along with the chopped content.

Seems comical when it's placed in such a clear manner EA can even be considered for this.

Anyone taking stock in this at all is so deeply, deeply wrong in their priorities.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Vindication for what I've been telling people for years! Stop buying their games people, haven't you learned?

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Only gamers could win a vote for a company that hasn't financially ruined thousands of lives, lost thousands in jobs and contributed to a global depression.

/sigh