Early S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat Details Unveiled

vede

Dec 4, 2007
The Rogue Wolf said:
I dunno, hearing how bad Clear Sky was sort of turned me off of the franchise, even though Shadow of Chernobyl was a diamond in the rough. And I too hope that they spend a LOT more time this go-around polishing the game and killing off bugs.

Side note- did anyone actually side with a faction in SoC? I mean, getting Duty pissed off at you basically made the Bar a no-go area, and getting on Freedom's bad side made getting through their checkpoint by Red Forest an absolute pain.
Yes, this has me somewhat anxious as well. I pretty much threw CS away. It felt too action-oriented and pretty much ruined STALKER for me, but if they're going back to the stalkers=loners just trying to get by thing, I'm interested. Especially if they're trying to move back toward the accurate reconstruction of the Chernobyl area instead of fictionalizing it like in CS again. That thread says that GSC made some substantial optimization progress with their X-Ray engine, also.

As for your sidenote: Yes. I usually got Duty pissed at me. And yes, it does make the Bar a no-go area, unless you freaking rule like me. (You might remember from a long time ago: I'm the guy that thought it was too easy on Master difficulty.) Get an assassination quest, target is in bar. Hm. Sneak in at night under cover of a storm, get past the first guards, go between the inner patrol routes, find my mark at a campfire with a couple buddies, leap out from behind a sat-up mattress, AK-74 with silencer in hand, aim-fire-aim-fire-aim-fire. Dead. Dead. Dead. Sneak out. Goddamn I loved that game.

Gormourn said:
Neat. I don't really like how they adopted the idea from one of my favorite science fiction novels (Yeah, pretty much 90% of the game is directly from the book, only with a slightly different protagonist) minus the whole Chernobyl thing. Well, all the fuck ups and radiation and everything including the wishing machine thing was there, but it was all the aliens fault and it wasn't even in Chernobyl.

Anyways...It's still neat, I should probably play it.

By the way, the novel the first Stalker game is pretty much based upon is called Roadside Picnic. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roadside_Picnic
Yes, that's my favorite book. The game was, honestly, a terrible adaptation of the book, I thought. The book seemed to flirt more with the idea of the Zone being impossible to understand than the game did. They both kept saying "It can't be understood, makes no sense" but seriously, it was pretty easy to "get it" in the game. The book was guilty as well, but I think that the Strugatsky brothers at least tried to make it a little less cut-and-dry with anomalies, adding a few more freaky bits in the first experience with the Zone.

Something I think I might like to see is a more faithful adaptation of Roadside Picnic in game form. If they made the Zone more of a single-person or small-group type thing instead of having a bunch of stalkers in it at once, and focusing on trying to really get the weird physics (that is, physics that are physics but don't correlate with reality, like mis-cast shadows, things rolling uphill, positional gravity effects, hallucination (a game with really good hallucination mechanics would be nice), or other weird things) working well, it would be really cool. If some company could truly make a level with physics and goings-on that were impossible to predict or understand, my life would be complete. Just imagine the multiplayer possibilities!

slabomeat

Apr 8, 2009
i never even got to play clear sky, when i bought it it was to buggy to play, and all of the patches made the sky yellow and made the game freeze up. i just hope that this new won wasnt the expensive disapiontment clear sky was