EA's Co-Publishing Funcom's The Secret World

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
EA's Co-Publishing Funcom's The Secret World

EA has Jedis and Orgres already, but now it's adding the crazy ancient histories of The Secret World to its MMO lineup.

EA sure seems to like MMOs these days. The publisher's already got Warhammer Online up and running, has <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105946-EA-Old-Republic-Doesnt-Need-a-Million-Subscribers>The Old Republic in development (working with LucasArts and BioWare, of course), and has now revealed that it's teaming up with Funcom to co-publish the upcoming The Secret World.

The Secret World has been in development for a while, with Funcom teasing out information about the game over the past year. The game is set in a fictionalized version of the present-day world and will feature a "secret history" filled with magic, ancient myths, and supernatural creatures.

This is probably some welcome news for Funcom, since having a partner like EA will certainly make it a lot easier to fund and develop a project as massive as The Secret World is supposed to be. For EA, this probably seems like a sound investment since Funcom has already established solid MMO brands with both Anarchy Online and Age of Conan. At the moment, there's no definite release date for the game yet.

Source: Joystiq

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Magic and mystery?

Up my alley. Just stick to the mystery. I don't need a bunch of lore explaining things for me. Ruins the fun. Love magic in games BECAUSE magic is inexplicable at it's core.

The screenshot reminds me of Folklore. (Good thing, btw!)

I'm interested in this game, suddenly.

KaosuHamoni

Apr 7, 2010
Hmm. I'd not heard of this game until now. I'm interested, but unfortunately, I don't do subscriptions, which is why I don't play MMO's on the whole. In fact, the only subscription I'm seriously considering is to the Pub Club. Ahh well, here's for hoping

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Yeahh...

EA are known for success in this field, right?

APB, Warhammer and the rumours of The Old Republic are rather telling...

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
I wonder if this has any connection to The Longest Journey. I'd like to think so.

fozzy360

I endorse Jurassic Park
Oct 20, 2009
Cool. I've been interested in the game, and I'd like to actually play it one day.

Hopefully it's better than Fallen Earth. Not that it was bad, it was just...not great.

dradiscontact

Jan 6, 2011
Funcom does not inspire me to look forward to any game it develops, but I would love be to taken by surprise.

Tarlane

Charismatic Leader
May 5, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Magic and mystery?

Up my alley. Just stick to the mystery. I don't need a bunch of lore explaining things for me. Ruins the fun. Love magic in games BECAUSE magic is inexplicable at it's core.

But what if Magic and Mystery are part of their history?

And I officially can't stop- Along with the secrets of gummi berry juice.

loremazd

Dec 20, 2008
dradiscontact said:
Funcom does not inspire me to look forward to any game it develops, but I would love be to taken by surprise.
Well it's been while, but The Longest Journey, in my opinion, is one of the best games ever made. Dreamfall was good to, though the fighting was silly in it.

monnes

Sep 23, 2009
JediMB said:
I wonder if this has any connection to The Longest Journey. I'd like to think so.
Will it's being headed by the same guy as TLJ and Dreamfall, Ragnar Tornquist, it's not actually related.

Sartan0

Apr 5, 2010
Yeah I saw stuff on this two Pax Prime's ago. With luck EA will give them the kick in the pants they need.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I'm still waiting for more concrete information on the actual game. At first it sounded like a really cool mature MMO filled with a mix of the paranormal, politics, puzzles and good old fashioned ass kicking... and then it started sounding like an action MMO along the lines of DC Universe with the secret societies and paranormal stuff just being window dressing. Good to hear it's got a solid publishing agreement but if the game itself isn't good I find it tough to care too much given my already diminished expectations.

Ih8pkmn

Apr 20, 2010
Can I just say something:

The working title for this game was World Of Lovecraft.

(kudos to all 5 of you who actually got that joke)

In all seriousness, though: This game looks interesting. I like magic, and I like mystery. I've been following this game for a while, and I don't think you can lose with Magic+Mystery+Shotguns.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Magic and mystery?

Ive been interested in this game for quite some time. One of the few MMOs that grabbed my attention. Just hope it is good (the other MMO was APB, so...)

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
This is one of the two MMOs I've been waiting for (the other being Black Prophecy). Really looking forward to giving it a try, I just hope Funcom manage to live up to the expectations they've been raising.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Considering my last dealings with Funcom during Anarchy Online, I'd say this is a match made in heaven. Two well practiced thieves teaming up. I can't say I'll be looking at this game at all.

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
Whoever can somehow speed up the development time of MMOs will be the next big winner. The development cycles for these things almost seems to guarantee lackluster responses at best and outright failure most times. Of course, it wasn't like WoW (or any Blizzard game) was made quickly, but if you're not going to be Blizzard, it just doesn't seem to work.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Ih8pkmn said:
Can I just say something:

The working title for this game was World Of Lovecraft.

(kudos to all 5 of you who actually got that joke)
ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn