EA's dissaproval of modded BF3 servers allowing 128 players...?

saucecode

Jul 30, 2011
So I saw some videos on youtube about extremely large 128 player servers for BF3 on PC, and how EA doesn't want people playing these servers or face consequences! Whats their problem, I don't see whats so wrong with letting people add onto a very fun game. If anything, they're giving PC gamers more reason to buy BF3, if said PC gamer wants to experience a very big game.

I dont see the problem, but I wish I could play some time.

Sangnz

Oct 7, 2009
Lack of understanding that it is the modding communities that keep games alive.
Not wanting people to give away for free what they might be able to charge for as DLC

Soviet Steve

May 23, 2009
Why approve of 128 player maps when you can charge them upwards of thirty dollars for adding eight players?

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
As long as its not ranked, I see no problem with it. Even if it is ranked I see little problem with it, but the large number of players will likely mean a higher SPM for the players, effectively cheating, but It would be the same as a 32 - 64 player change so I don't see a large problem.

Hell, maybe they just don't like admitting that they're wrong. The said something about being able to do 128 player servers, but they didn't find them as fun so they didn't include them. That and that Frostbite 2 was too complex an engine to mod. Sure, its not much of a mod, but its a mod nonetheless.

Phishfood

Jul 21, 2009
Typical EA. Publishers need to learn from Hat Fortress and the like. Open and easy to mod, still incredibly popular years after release. BF2142, released around the same time - closed, impossible to mod. Oh look - no-one plays.

Personally, I've gone off Hat Fortress lately, but I played it a damn sight longer than ANY other game I can think of.

Extravagance

Mar 23, 2011
Because after a certain point, all game companies like EA are going to consider it as some kind of theft. Possibly there's a clause in the user agreement that inevitably nobody read.

Akimoto

Nov 22, 2011
EA, oh EA. Thou art a hateful beach.

Or maybe they're too lazy to upgrade and make sure the server does not crash. But that does not make any sense...right?

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
I think it's crazy how desensitized we've become to things like this. They just pulled a dick move and everyone's like "Well, that's EA for you".

How does a company become so terribly despised that it's not even surprising when they pull needlessly dick moves.

Phishfood

Jul 21, 2009
JoesshittyOs said:
I think it's crazy how desensitized we've become to things like this. They just pulled a dick move and everyone's like "Well, that's EA for you".

How does a company become so terribly despised that it's not even surprising when they pull needlessly dick moves.
Quite easily, plenty of companies do stupid things. The thing that gets me is that we keep buying their games and they stay in business. As gamers we REALLY need to start getting together and boycotting these companies that do this shit rather than trying to boycott valve because they released a beta 2 days late or whatever.

ZenoX969

Apr 1, 2011
Phishfood said:
JoesshittyOs said:

Quite easily, plenty of companies do stupid things. The thing that gets me is that we keep buying their games and they stay in business. As gamers we REALLY need to start getting together and boycotting these companies that do this shit rather than trying to boycott valve because they released a beta 2 days late or whatever.
Easier said than done when it comes to EA. They publish so many games from so many developers. You can't really condemn all the developers because EA sticks their noses in everyone's business. I will, for example, definitely get Mass Effect 3. Counting down the days until it's release. Getting it on 360 though (because I've got the rest of the trilogy there) so there's no worries there. EA only goes after the PC customers.

I didn't buy Battlefield 3 though. The main reason being that I still have Windows XP on my computer and BF3 requires DX10 or DX11 to even start. And as you might know, XP has DX9. It's hard to trust a new OS after Vista broke my heart... Anyway, that's a pretty valid reason not to buy it right there. My other reason would have to be that I don't care for Origin and I don't want it on my computer. So therefore I'm not getting Battlefield 3 because you have to have Origin installed to play it.

It's funny though, EA wanted BF3 to be a CoD Killer. Yet they put so many restrictions on it. Condemning it to fail. Well, not 'fail'. It had some pretty good sales despite EA's meddling. But nowhere near CoD's sales (which I also haven't bought).

Phishfood

Jul 21, 2009
ZenoX969 said:
Easier said than done when it comes to EA. They publish so many games from so many developers. You can't really condemn all the developers because EA sticks their noses in everyone's business. I will, for example, definitely get Mass Effect 3. Counting down the days until it's release. Getting it on 360 though (because I've got the rest of the trilogy there) so there's no worries there. EA only goes after the PC customers.

I didn't buy Battlefield 3 though. The main reason being that I still have Windows XP on my computer and BF3 requires DX10 or DX11 to even start. And as you might know, XP has DX9. It's hard to trust a new OS after Vista broke my heart... Anyway, that's a pretty valid reason not to buy it right there. My other reason would have to be that I don't care for Origin and I don't want it on my computer. So therefore I'm not getting Battlefield 3 because you have to have Origin installed to play it.

It's funny though, EA wanted BF3 to be a CoD Killer. Yet they put so many restrictions on it. Condemning it to fail. Well, not 'fail'. It had some pretty good sales despite EA's meddling. But nowhere near CoD's sales (which I also haven't bought).
Its true. Also, I can tell you first hand that Windows 7 kicks the ass of vista. Faster boot times, 1/3 the RAM load, a few extra features.

As for origin, its a pile of shit. Launch Origin, Use origin to launch web browser, use web browser to launch game. Every time you change servers you need to quit the game and go back to the browser, which is buggy as hell. Since its a nasty piece of spyware sticking its nose in places it doesn't belong you can also add the step "Launch Sandboxie" to the begining of all that.

I've long been saying that PC gaming is not dying, if anything it is being killed by publishers with awful DRM and the lack of a second hand market. Not to mention certain key figures outright saying PC gamers are a bunch of criminals. I guess the best we can do is keep buying games from good producers like Valve and avoid EA and so on as much as possible. I haven't bought a Ubisoft game since they introduced always on DRM. There have been a couple games I would have otherwise bought.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
saucecode said:
The problem is very simple, at present only EA provides servers for Battlefield 3, which naturally you have to pay to 'rent' and gain control over the options.

The modded servers are private, as in run by a third party, like more or less every server across every non-MMO online game in history. So EA are peeved that someone is playing an EA game without paying for every single second. They are trying to prevent other people running severs by threatening to ban anyone who uses one, claiming it's hacks or violates the TOS or something.

Basically, someone is playing with EA's toys and they're threatening to take them home again...

Of course this is all irrelevant, all EA has to do is close BAttlelog for any reason at any time and no-one gets to play BF3 ever again.
Except the pirates.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
TestECull said:
More evidence, as if it's needed, that EA holds nothing but contempt for PC players. Glad I didn't buy it.
To be fair, you don't really want to play BF3 with 128 players. The maps are filled up enough with 64, I can't imagine staying alive for more than 10 seconds with double the amount.

Still, I don't approve of EA blocking mods like that. If people rent their own server, let them play on it as they wish.

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
It's like EA have no clue how games work or something. One of the best parts of PC gaming is that games can be modded.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
I would personally like to hear DICE's views on this issue. Developers are usually more open than the publishers.

I remember my favourite BF2 modded server, upping the ticket count to 1000 each made for long arse pitched battles.

Pyro Paul

Dec 7, 2007
saucecode said:
Whats their problem, I don't see whats so wrong with letting people add onto a very fun game. If anything, they're giving PC gamers more reason to buy BF3, if said PC gamer wants to experience a very big game.

Because 'Mods' are 'Free'
Why give it away for free when they can make people pay to have it?
ex: Battlefield 2 Was a Mod for Battlefield 1942.

And support the community...
If the community plays the same game for years... How are they supposed to turn a profit which is made primarly through Selling said games?

Ban people modding the game and Let the community die.
Re-release the same game with an extra number on the end.
????
Profit!!

Feb 13, 2008
Phishfood said:
As gamers we REALLY need to start getting together and boycotting these companies that do this shit rather than trying to boycott valve because they released a beta 2 days late or whatever.
The problem is that we, as gamers, are a very small part of the market now. Lots of work on making consoles non-gamer friendly, has lead to a surge in people only interested in buying games rather than rating them.

(Similar thing has been done with cooking/shopping/reading, so we're not alone.)

Therefore, even if all the "gamers" on this site - Or Destructoid/Kotaku - stopped buying/playing EA games, they'd still have enough fans to keep going. As long as they can keep building games where you can easily maim foreigners for perks, then they'll keep going.