EA's Gibeau: Soon Mobile Graphics Will Rival Current Consoles

Karloff

New member
Oct 19, 2009
6,474
0
0
EA's Gibeau: Soon Mobile Graphics Will Rival Current Consoles



EA's getting ready for this brave new tablet world.

"In the near future, the next wave of tablets and phones will have nearly Xbox 360 or PS3 capabilities in terms of graphics," EA's Frank Gibeau claims, adding that "some of our engine technology that used to be console-specific now can, with modifications, be able to power games on tablets and on phones in the near future. We're just getting ready for that." That means Frostbite - EA's engine tech - will be coming to all major mobile platforms in the not so-distant future and, with it, EA's AAA titles.

But that doesn't mean those games will be a straight port. "You have to redesign the game," Gibeau admits. There's too much that needs to be changed to take into account the touch screen, plus voice and camera options; just importing some kind of virtual D-pad won't cut it. EA sees this as less of a problem and more of a challenge, allowing it to incorporate new features while at the same time presenting the kind of game that gamers have come to expect. It is a redesign, but it's the kind of redesign that allows EA to deliver something that, it thinks, its customers will come to love.

"Same ingredients, completely different meal," Gibeau concludes. "That's kind of the way we think about it."

Source: IGN [http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/03/ea-next-tablets-will-have-nearly-ps3-quality-graphics]


Permalink
 

Doom972

New member
Dec 25, 2008
2,312
0
0
By the time that happens, next-gen capabilities will be the standard, so tablets will stay behind.

Againt, I have to ask: Who's the target audience for this? The majority of tablet users don't care about games with flashy graphics anyway, and gamers use PC/Consoles/dedicated handhelds.
 

fix-the-spade

New member
Feb 25, 2008
8,639
0
0
So basically, console gamers are going to find themselves in the same boat as PC gamers have been in the last eight or so years.

The tech and mechanics of your games are about to mysteriously jump backwards then stagnate as major publishers chase their new perceived darling market and everyone else gets games designed to those limitations but upscaled slightly.

Hooray for EA!
 

RA92

New member
Jan 1, 2011
3,079
0
0
Yes, but they will still be using shitty touch controls that are on the screen, obstructing the player's view.
 

Phrozenflame500

New member
Dec 26, 2012
1,080
0
0
Good luck with that EA. Modern day game designing philosophy doesn't work with tablets, with the lack of any control input other then a touch screen. As you said, a virtual D-Pad just won't cut it and it'll require some major innovation to make AAA FPS games work on a mobile device, and we all know just how good you are with innovation right EA?

Not to mention the fact I highly doubt there is a market for AAA dudebro shooters on mobile devices to begin with.
 

Karloff

New member
Oct 19, 2009
6,474
0
0
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Yes, but they will still be using shitty touch controls that are on the screen, obstructing the player's view.
I think someone could make a killing with a very flat bluetooth controller with the proper buttons in various places and touch sensors instead of the thumbsticks
 

walrusaurus

New member
Mar 1, 2011
595
0
0
ANyone with half a brain could see that the hardware specs would catch up eventually. Thats hardly a penetrating analysis from EA. It also doesn't mean squat: unless ea has invented some kind of fantastic wizard battery that runs on universe juice, no mobile dvc in existence will be able to actually play such a game for more than an hour. And if you can only play it when your plugged into a wall whats the point of having it on a mobile in the first place.
 

PoolCleaningRobot

New member
Mar 18, 2012
1,237
0
0
Shit, the next Qualcom quad core processors are going to be clocked at about 2.2 Ghz so we really might not be far off. Of course, I'm not going to play touch screen versions of games without some incentives like hopefully an official Google controller. Strategy games and turn based rpgs would work great on touch screens like frozen synaps, XCOM, and the final fantasy ports. It's going to be weird seeing console ports on mobiles
 

Baresark

New member
Dec 19, 2010
3,908
0
0
Desert Punk said:
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Yes, but they will still be using shitty touch controls that are on the screen, obstructing the player's view.
I think someone could make a killing with a very flat bluetooth controller with the proper buttons in various places and touch sensors instead of the thumbsticks
Some people already make some really good bluetooth controllers for tablets. The thing is, the games pretty much have to be made to support them, and most are not. You see more and more controller enabled games showing up, but the shitty part is that most of them are complete and total shit.

OT: While graphics will catch up, EA will bring the same shitty lack of innovation to the table they are currently bringing. So, better looking games will not mean better games, unfortunately. They love to do this whole song and dance about how tablets and smartphones are the wave of the future! I don't see any reason to play games on tablet when I have a PC, a Vita, a 3DS, and a PS3.
 

AJey

New member
Feb 11, 2011
164
0
0
Nooooo... your little phones and tablets are ALMOST as good graphically as 7 year old technology? Noooooooo... so damn impressive. I am shell-shocked, really. You must be soooooo proud!
 

surg3n

New member
May 16, 2011
709
0
0
The only handheld that I thought had some potential for FPS games is the PS-Vita, and what EA titles do we have on that?

Hmmmm - surely that's a problem. When someone makes a console that can handle a lot, can handle modern FPS games, make them look great, and have an ideal control scheme in place, it's kinda disheartening for it to be largely ignored.

But the iPad, ohhh - that can still make some money - because any EA title will go straight to the app store front page, to hell with indie developers who made the platform into a viable gaming option - let's flood the market with badly conceived EA ports. Plus, Objective C - it's not an ideal language to port to, even if you do use C++ there's still a lot of faffing about doing that.

I'd rather see new ideas for tablet games, not poor FPS and driving game ports - because we have them already, they are shite. EA need to learn from that. Has anyone played an EA driving game on iPad? - it's like gaming for idiots... pretty graphics but the gameplay could be done on a 8-bit console.
 

Vaccine

New member
Feb 13, 2010
475
0
0
Cool, I'll believe it when I see it, but it's nothing but words right now.

If it really is boasting that kind of tech I am scared at the size and weight of the battery required for that, or worse yet, the disgusting price tag on some of the next gen tablets when and if they come out.
 

TheRightToArmBears

New member
Dec 13, 2008
8,674
0
0
So? Touchscreens just don't have the tactile feedback to make playing these kinds of games appealing. If they were geared up for it a bit more it would be great, but the majority of people that want to play games on tablets and smartphones probably want more casual games anyway.

Also, it does make me laugh how usually Escapist users harp on about how 'graphics don't matter', but when this guy says that smartphones may soon be able to have current gen graphics (yeah, they'll be out of date when they come around, but they'll be perfectly serviceable) they get laughed at.
 

MrHide-Patten

New member
Jun 10, 2009
1,309
0
0
Only one little problem. Touch screen controls are terrible, probably only thing worse than motion controls.
 

Atmos Duality

New member
Mar 3, 2010
8,473
0
0
Sounds like a continuation of the Polished Turd mentality that drives most AAA games now:
"It has AWESOME GRAPHICS!...and mediocre gameplay, dumbed down to total shit on account of awful controls."

Good for them.
 

Somebloke

New member
Aug 5, 2010
345
0
0
What he is saying, is that, provided they can adapt them properly to the idiosyncrasies of the set of formfactors, there is a not at all insignificant opportunity to sell their old products all over again, and you know what? -For once, I do not begrudge EA it. (...although I do expect the developers to get their fair share of the cake.)

(EDIT: Even without good control adaption, many mobile devices have HDMI out (...and soon enough decent wireless streaming video) and can use controllers (then there are the OUYA class devices), and I'll bet there are one or two people out there who always has the latest phone, but never has been interested in a console or a gaming PC, but may now take a fleeting interest.)
 

ph0b0s123

New member
Jul 7, 2010
1,689
0
0
Doom972 said:
By the time that happens, next-gen capabilities will be the standard, so tablets will stay behind.

Againt, I have to ask: Who's the target audience for this? The majority of tablet users don't care about games with flashy graphics anyway, and gamers use PC/Consoles/dedicated handhelds.
Yeah next gen consoles will put mobile devices to shame... Unfortunately the next gen's CPU and GPU architecture was originally aimed for the mobile / tablet devices. So not so much...

The only thing the console version of the jaguar APU's has going for it is the SKU will be two mobile 4 core SKU's put together (more cores does not necessarily mean better) and a clock speed bump. I don't think mobile devices will take much time to catch that up.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/ps4-and-xbox-one-s-amd-jaguar-cpu-examined/0116297

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_%28microarchitecture%29

So tablets will already be on the market, running with the same chips as next gen consoles (just with less cores), not long after the consoles launch....

Also as to the controls issue. Not so much of an issue.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/phonejoy/phonejoy-play-turn-your-phone-into-a-console
 

Vrach

New member
Jun 17, 2010
3,223
0
0
Even if true, it's a lot easier making something look good on a screen that's at least 5 times smaller than your usual TV screen.

Also, shitty controls. Fuck that.
 

RandV80

New member
Oct 1, 2009
1,507
0
0
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that in the long run smart phones are going to end up as a fad. I mean yeah it's some cool technology and all the young kids these days are really into them, but while they work as a phone it's a rather poor and limited platform for your basic computing needs. Tiny screen, poor input, expensive hardware and data...

I mean I could be way off but it just feels like it will be something like how I look back 15 years ago when I got my first PC with a 17" CRT monitor then look at my current 22" wide screen LCD monitor and wonder how ever could I have used that old clunky thing. To me a tablet is far more convenient, then you have new technologies coming out like google glasses that could squash smart phones on the market.
 

Clive Howlitzer

New member
Jan 27, 2011
2,783
0
0
So pretty soon they'll be almost as good as consoles that are 7 years old and even when released were only as good as mid-tier computers? Umm...hard to get excited about that. Also, tiny screens and awful controls? I'd say those matter more than graphics. All the graphics in the world won't make up for that.
 

Shamanic Rhythm

New member
Dec 6, 2009
1,653
0
0
Not interested. Not being chained to the stone of amazing graphics allows certain mobile games to actually try and innovate in other areas.

Of course, all EA's mobile titles are lazy, uninspiring ports of things like The Sims, Tetris, and their cut down Mass Effect/Dead Space games.
 

Doom972

New member
Dec 25, 2008
2,312
0
0
ph0b0s123 said:
Doom972 said:
By the time that happens, next-gen capabilities will be the standard, so tablets will stay behind.

Againt, I have to ask: Who's the target audience for this? The majority of tablet users don't care about games with flashy graphics anyway, and gamers use PC/Consoles/dedicated handhelds.
Yeah next gen consoles will put mobile devices to shame... Unfortunately the next gen's CPU and GPU architecture was originally aimed for the mobile / tablet devices. So not so much...

The only thing the console version of the jaguar APU's has going for it is the SKU will be two mobile 4 core SKU's put together (more cores does not necessarily mean better) and a clock speed bump. I don't think mobile devices will take much time to catch that up.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/ps4-and-xbox-one-s-amd-jaguar-cpu-examined/0116297

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_%28microarchitecture%29

So tablets will already be on the market, running with the same chips as next gen consoles (just with less cores), not long after the consoles launch....

Also as to the controls issue. Not so much of an issue.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/phonejoy/phonejoy-play-turn-your-phone-into-a-console
I wasn't referring to a controls issue. I was saying that core gaming doesn't appeal to the general tablet user demographics. That demographic is interested in short, simple, $2 games to kill time with.
 

Lunar Templar

New member
Sep 20, 2009
8,225
0
0
so? gonna make the games good or just make them pretty? pretty you say? cool, I'll be over here playing games with weaker graphics but are way better over all.
 

ph0b0s123

New member
Jul 7, 2010
1,689
0
0
Doom972 said:
ph0b0s123 said:
Doom972 said:
By the time that happens, next-gen capabilities will be the standard, so tablets will stay behind.

Againt, I have to ask: Who's the target audience for this? The majority of tablet users don't care about games with flashy graphics anyway, and gamers use PC/Consoles/dedicated handhelds.
Yeah next gen consoles will put mobile devices to shame... Unfortunately the next gen's CPU and GPU architecture was originally aimed for the mobile / tablet devices. So not so much...

The only thing the console version of the jaguar APU's has going for it is the SKU will be two mobile 4 core SKU's put together (more cores does not necessarily mean better) and a clock speed bump. I don't think mobile devices will take much time to catch that up.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/ps4-and-xbox-one-s-amd-jaguar-cpu-examined/0116297

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_%28microarchitecture%29

So tablets will already be on the market, running with the same chips as next gen consoles (just with less cores), not long after the consoles launch....

Also as to the controls issue. Not so much of an issue.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/phonejoy/phonejoy-play-turn-your-phone-into-a-console
I wasn't referring to a controls issue. I was saying that core gaming doesn't appeal to the general tablet user demographics. That demographic is interested in short, simple, $2 games to kill time with.
Comment about controls meant for others in the tread, but it looks like the quoting of those posts did not work properly.

And you did make a point about next gen consoles leaving tablets behind, which I disagree with.

The rest of your point I did not argue against, which you can read as agreement...
 

Rawbeard

New member
Jan 28, 2010
224
0
0
Someone might need to learn about energy consumption and heat generation...
 

MCerberus

New member
Jun 26, 2013
1,168
0
0
So tell me Gibeau, how they're going to solve the battery issues present in this assertion of yours?
 

heroicbob

New member
Aug 25, 2010
153
0
0
aren't most tablet/phone users completely scared off if a game costs more than a dollar? these are casuals they aren't interested in big budget games
 

Karloff

New member
Oct 19, 2009
6,474
0
0
the thing about this is although they will reach 360 and PS3 levels soon...it'll top out.

why will it top out ?

because battery tech doesn't advance at anything like the same rate (in fact its arguable it barely advances at all) and low power usage tech (which is how you tackle the battery problem from the other side) is reaching fundamentally technical limits in terms of directing and controlling the flow of electricity at very low voltages/currents within a chip.

the only way "phone tech" will advance beyond that point (and it will still seek a path to keep advancing in case a development can be thrown back into the mobile devices) is if its got a market to grow in that not in a mobile device tied to a battery...which means "smart TVs".

TVs plugged into mains and net with (as far as the electronics in them are concerned) oodles of power, a huge chunk of memory and massive but cheap PC industry sourced hard disc.

and all of them, from all manufacturers, basically running the same open source OS originally designed for smart phones...

have a long hard think about that.

because and when your "smart TV" is as good or better than a last gen console...a great many people will begin to question paying $600 for a separate box for the kids to play games on...

and after a few years of "smart TVs" being in the shops they will be near ubiquitous and it won't take much for developers to see the value in such a platform...

"convergence" is coming all right but it won't be via a games console.

it'll be through the device that tbth it was almost always most likely to be through.

the humble TV itself.
 

Karloff

New member
Oct 19, 2009
6,474
0
0
ahahaha, do EA and MS have some sort of foot in your mouth exchange training programm?
 

008Zulu_v1legacy

New member
Sep 6, 2009
6,019
0
0
The question is; Do we want them to?

Improving the graphics will put a considerable strain on the systems resources, which will consume more power, meaning the battery won't last as long. Yay for Crysis 3 on your smart phone, but 5 minutes before the battery dies wouldn't be worth it.
 

MeChaNiZ3D

New member
Aug 30, 2011
3,104
0
0
Well that's just like, your opinion, man.

(Honestly, for fuck's sakes, "in the near future" could be when the next generation of consoles are out).
 

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
8,407
0
0
correction: they already do

Doom972 said:
By the time that happens, next-gen capabilities will be the standard, so tablets will stay behind.

Againt, I have to ask: Who's the target audience for this? The majority of tablet users don't care about games with flashy graphics anyway, and gamers use PC/Consoles/dedicated handhelds.
is the next gen capabilities a standrt now? no? thenm this is false.

fix-the-spade said:
So basically, console gamers are going to find themselves in the same boat as PC gamers have been in the last eight or so years.
erm what? how does being graphically inferior relate to PCs? they have been graphically superior during their whole existence. you dont make sense. make sense!



PoolCleaningRobot said:
Strategy games and turn based rpgs would work great on touch screens
that woudl be true if touchscreens would always click the same spot you do..... try prioritizing that one small but deadly enemy in a horde of moving large enemies, with a bulky finger on your screen, tell me how it goes.



surg3n said:
The only handheld that I thought had some potential for FPS games is the PS-Vita, and what EA titles do we have on that?
thats probably because FPS titles on hnadhelds often win the nomination of a "dev team that wanted to work on PC the most"

Vaccine said:
Cool, I'll believe it when I see it, but it's nothing but words right now.

If it really is boasting that kind of tech I am scared at the size and weight of the battery required for that, or worse yet, the disgusting price tag on some of the next gen tablets when and if they come out.
current battery complectation is a pity state. i woudl love to have double the size of my smartphone if that meant double the battery life. sadly, no such option is even available "because it must be small, herp derp". i think that fact that people still get sold stuff with batteries that get drained in 3 hours is insulting. besides battery technology does progress forward currently, in the last 5 years double in power/weight.


RandV80 said:
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that in the long run smart phones are going to end up as a fad. I mean yeah it's some cool technology and all the young kids these days are really into them, but while they work as a phone it's a rather poor and limited platform for your basic computing needs. Tiny screen, poor input, expensive hardware and data...
i got a smart phone. the intention on buying it was calls and messages. but the "game while sitting in a bus" aspect is a bonus that i like. i would never gave on a smart phone at home, but the fact that i got a small protable computer on my pocket that i can use to browse internet adn whatnot in lcoations where normally there is no such service has asaved me a couple times. just dont expect mobiel gaming to be the new hardcore thing..
 

TiberiusEsuriens

New member
Jun 24, 2010
834
0
0
Somebody give EA a medal. This year they've really turned their thought process around. The goal is still 'make lots of money,' but they seem to be doing everything lately like they have a brain and are using it.

"Same ingredients, completely different meal," Gibeau concludes. "That's kind of the way we think about it."

^This is called being rational.
 

Slash2x

New member
Dec 7, 2009
503
0
0
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Yes, but they will still be using shitty touch controls that are on the screen, obstructing the player's view.
This is why I bought one of these Moga Pro [http://www.mogaanywhere.com/about-moga/moga-pro-controller/] controllers. It makes it so you do not have to use the shitty on screen controls and for me it makes it so I can play longer too. No MASSIVE power drain from my tablet because I am always touching the screen.

DO NOT GET THAT NYKO CRAP CONTROLLER! I bought one of the Nykos about 8 months ago and the APP is still in Beta stage, something they never mentioned on the box. And they have not added a SINGLE game to the app since I bought the damn thing. Moga is adding new games every week.

I bought a Moga and gave that Nyko hunk of junk to my 1 year old to "play" with while I am playing a game.

OT: Yeah because the new tablets and phones coming out are starting to nip at the speed and power heels of the current consoles. Or if you spend enough surpass them. Problem is games like that still have a shitty effect on battery life, because better graphics = more CPU/GPU demand= more power demand on battery.

Mobile gaming is what real gamers do when they can not get to a console or a PC. Casuals are already happy with the games we have now and would not be the real market for the games they are talking about.
 

RA92

New member
Jan 1, 2011
3,079
0
0
slash2x said:
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Yes, but they will still be using shitty touch controls that are on the screen, obstructing the player's view.
This is why I bought one of these Moga Pro [http://www.mogaanywhere.com/about-moga/moga-pro-controller/] controllers. It makes it so you do not have to use the shitty on screen controls and for me it makes it so I can play longer too. No MASSIVE power drain from my tablet because I am always touching the screen.



That actually looks rather nice. And should give handhelds a run for their money.

The problem, as usual, is support. As long as they aren't ubiquitous, the majority of devs are going to continue to develop for shitty touch controls.




Problem is games like that still have a shitty effect on battery life, because better graphics = more CPU/GPU demand= more power demand on battery.
Good point, almost forgot about current battery limitations.