Easily solved Plotholes that annoy the hell out of you

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
The Clickers' "sonar" in The Last of Us.

They apparently see using the clicking noises they make, but if that were they case they could just see you no matter how motionless you were -- That's how sonar works. And the stupid thing is this inconsistency could've been easily remedied had they simply not mentioned it in the game. I mean, the fact that they make creepy throat noises could just be a side effect from the fact that they're mutated freaks.
Actually it kind of isn't. Sonar, unless it's incredibly precise, can't really show a very clear shape of an obstacle. Now if you're moving towards them and making noise they can pick up, then they can judge where you are and attack. It could make out general shapes, but unless a person is standing spread out then odds are they would assume you're another piece of furniture if you're not making noise or moving.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Vausch said:
Casual Shinji said:

They apparently see using the clicking noises they make, but if that were they case they could just see you no matter how motionless you were -- That's how sonar works. And the stupid thing is this inconsistency could've been easily remedied had they simply not mentioned it in the game. I mean, the fact that they make creepy throat noises could just be a side effect from the fact that they're mutated freaks.
Actually it kind of isn't. Sonar, unless it's incredibly precise, can't really show a very clear shape of an obstacle. Now if you're moving towards them and making noise they can pick up, then they can judge where you are and attack. It could make out general shapes, but unless a person is standing spread out then odds are they would assume you're another piece of furniture if you're not making noise or moving.
Okay, I guess that makes sense. Still a lot of effort for something that could as easily be described as 'they're just totally blind'. Because even if you move very slowly they can't find you, which would mean they're going by sound alone.

HannesPascal

Mar 1, 2008
In Citizen Kane nobody is in the room when Kane says Rosebud and then dies. Unless the nurse used a baby monitor (in the 1940:s) there's no way anyone should know about his last words.

Orga777

Jan 2, 2008
HannesPascal said:
In Citizen Kane nobody is in the room when Kane says Rosebud and then dies. Unless the nurse used a baby monitor (in the 1940:s) there's no way anyone should know about his last words.
I believe the nurses were in the room, actually. After he died they pretty quickly covered up the body.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
Arnoxthe1 said:
Pluvia said:
Harry Potter 7: Part 1.

Hey we just teleported to this random Muggle cafe. OH SHIT WE GOT FOUND BY DEATH EATERS WITHIN MINUTES?!? HOW?!? Well I guess we need to constantly be on the move, don't put up our tent in one place for more than a day or two in case the Death Eaters manage to track us down again. Oh look Ron got pissy and left, and Hermionie is upset because she knows he'll never be able to find them again when they teleport away.

Wait, how did the Death Eaters track them down in a random Muggle cafe like that? I mean it's only the entire reason they're on the move constantly throughout the film. If only there was 2 or 3 lines of dialogue from the book they could use to explain it.

Nah, lets just hope no one notices.
Actually they did explain it and it isn't a plot hole. It's just REALLY easy to miss. I'm sure it was Hermionie that said Voldemort's name in the cafe and since it's taboo'd as Ron explains later, they were instantly able to find them.
I wouldn't say it is easy to miss, Ron points it out when he gets back and when they next use the name it becomes a major plot point.

Noetherian

Hermits United
May 3, 2012
The pilot episode of The Strain reminded me, but in general I hate watching someone get killed while being recorded... and not say ANYTHING about the identity or nature of their demise! You're on tape; the whole entire point of recording an autopsy is to provide a record of what you find. Narrate, damn you! :[

(My best friend pointed out to me that fear can easily overwhelm even deeply-rooted training, but this particular plot device drives me up the wall.)

Thedutchjelle

Mar 31, 2009
Dan Brown's novel Angels & Demons.

They can't find the bomb in the Vatican, despite watching to a live feed of it. Look, if it's broadcasting, then it should be relatively easy to trace, no?

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
Pluvia said:
DrOswald said:
I wouldn't say it is easy to miss, Ron points it out when he gets back and when they next use the name it becomes a major plot point.
Nope. Is mentioned nowhere in the movie.
Oh, right, missed the movie part. It's just that the movies are so bad that I forget about them.

Darren716

Jul 7, 2011
One plot hole that always stuck with me was in CoD MW2 the whole reason for Russia invading the US was because of a terrorist attack on a Moscow airport which was blamed on the Americans because a CIA agent was undercover within the group that caused the attack and the agent was found dead at the airport. My problem is that there were three to four Russian terrorists during the attack, one of which died on the tarmac of the airport and all of whom were recorded on the airport's security system, not to mention one of the terrorists, named Makarov, was famous for making threats against the new Russian government and was a wanted man. You mean to tell me that after the attack neither the US or Russia decided to look over the tapes and see what happened instead of just going immediately to a full scale invasion of a global super power. Also General Shepard's plan for killing off his task force makes no sense, he does it so that he will get the fame and recognition for stopping Makarov even though he was the leader of the group he would be considered an hero anyways. Then once you throw MW3 into the mix everything becomes even more of a mess since now we learn that a member of Makarov's force ratted him out to the American's which allowed them to know about the attack and get a CIA agent in to the force. Makarov finds out about the rat and leaves him for dead IN THE PARKING GARAGE OF THE AIRPORT HE'S ABOUT TO ATTACK, we even see him getting helped after the attack, this means he also never went to the authorities saying the American's had nothing to do with the attack.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Queen Michael said:
In Green Lantern, when the Guardians of Oa send Ryan Reynolds[footnote]I won't call him by the name he went by in the movie. I know Hal Jordan. That was not Hal Jordan.[/footnote] back to Earth after finding him unsuitable as a member of the corps, they let him keep the ring. So he's still got all that power, there's just nobody to make sure he doesn't abuse it. If it'd tunrned out to be a secret test of character it'd have worked. A "Let's see what he does with the ring when he thinks nobody's watching" thing is what I'm imagining.
Yeah that was just fucking stupid. Your solution would work really well, but before it even got to that, the Guardians kinda....take away rings from Lanterns who they deem unfit for duty, so why did Hal, a brand new Lantern, get to keep his? C'mon Guardians!

Austin Manning

Apr 10, 2012
Almost the entire last hour of Mass Effect 3. There are so many problems throughout that entire game that wouldn't exist if there was an extra line of dialogue or two. There's dozens of other examples throughout that game as well, though some come across less as plot holes and more the writing staff not knowing what words mean (the game seems to think that synthetic = have metal bits in you; it does not mean that).

Sep 24, 2008
Zontar said:
I'd say Edge of Tomorrow. They make a point that threw tactics, not technology, the Mimics have been able to win every battle except Verdun. The problem is: they also show that conventional weapons are effective, yet they never use tactical nuclear weapons despite the fact that in such a war it should be common practice to have the area of operation blanketed by them before invasion. If bullets, blades and grenades can kill them, a tactical nuke can.

Also would love to read what you said about Godzilla, but for some reason I can't open spoiler boxes or quote people.
I support pearcinator's idea, but I've always had somewhat of a needling question that gets stuck in my head. I don't consider these spoilers for the movie, but if you (a reader who hasn't seen the movie) really want to know nothing about it, avoid the everything after this until the quote on the bottom since Zontar can't view spoilers. So, **SPOILERS**

After a few talks with Vrataski, Cage finds out that he'll receive visions. That is the hivemind locating him via the power. And we do see that the aliens get smart. When Tom Cruise is cornered and he tries to restart, the Mimics stop him, hoping to take them alive.

My main point is this... Why bring the Alphas in the field any more?

Vrataski admitted that she believed Verdun was an elaborate trap, making humanity feel that their new suits can decimate the Mimics . I took that to be a little hard to swallow, because the Mimics didn't know that an Alpha was going to pass on its powers. But ok let's go with it.

So we know that The hivemind can identify who has the power by the visions. We can sit here and argue if they always know if the power is passed on. I'm going to lean to no since it took so long to realize something was wrong and send the visions. But I do think it knew that Vrataski didn't have the power any more. Vrataski could feel it when the power was lost, so I'm going to have to believe the attachment and location ability of the Hivemind to sense her would be severed. If that's the case... WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU SEND MORE ALPHAS JUST IN CASE SOMEONE GOT LUCKY AGAIN?!

The offensive was a major trap that the Hivemind knew was coming. Everyone died within seconds. The Hivemind had every advantage.
And, just on the off chance that Humanity COULD push them back, why put a damn Alpha in the front line? You're a Hivemind. You'd feel that humanity would push you back so you could have an Alpha ten or fifteen miles back, feel that something is wrong, and then do what ever you need to do to make an Alpha restart. Just restart and rethink your damn strategy.

Putting Alphas on the field is like putting a detonator to nukes that you have in your bases in the hands of a few of your soldiers on the battlefield... just for shits and giggles.

Casual Shinji said:
Vausch said:
Casual Shinji said:

Okay, I guess that makes sense. Still a lot of effort for something that could as easily be described as 'they're just totally blind'. Because even if you move very slowly they can't find you, which would mean they're going by sound alone.
Never played The Last Of Us, so I don't know if this is the case. But if they are facing you and clicking and you're moving slowly, can they pick you up? Or are they clicking with their back to you?

Either way, there's a lot of human evidence to show that yeah, they probably should notice you.

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones.

Why does nobody question where the Clones come from?! They spend the whole damn movie saying the Jedi can't fight a war, Obi Wan stumble ass backward into a facility creating an army of Clones to fight a war nobody could have known about when it was commissioned.
Skip ahead, skip ahead, Palpatine just says "Hey, check out my kick ass, fully equipped clone army I got!"

Nobody questions where he got it?
Nobody raises an eyebrow that the army was discovered during an investigation into a Senetorial assassination attempt?

Starting to think the Jedi kinda had the purge coming.

A few scenes of dialogue between Palpatine and the Jedi counsel could have explained the whole thing.

Palpatine can cast doubt on the Jedi by questioning why the army was commissioned by one of their order and demand they transfer control of the army to the Senate.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
@ObsidianJones, first thanks for replying in a way I can see while warning others about spoilers (though I do think they're pretty mild ones, but to each their own).

You do make a good point though. Now I can't get that out of my head either. I guess we could write both off as the one I took issue with being something that made it not worth the cost (them constantly knowing it was coming, so hiding underground when they go off or the like) and for yours something makes it required (maybe the need to keep close to them when large numbers are in combat?).

At the end of the day, though, it was a fine and enjoyable movie, and I think the part in London was added to tell us not to take it too seriously.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
Armageddon

Why did they teach a drilling company how to be astronauts and not instead teach astronauts how to use the drill. I know it defeats the purpose of the ENTIRE movie but it just seems more logical.

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
Diddy_Mao said:
Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones.

Why does nobody question where the Clones come from?! They spend the whole damn movie saying the Jedi can't fight a war, Obi Wan stumble ass backward into a facility creating an army of Clones to fight a war nobody could have known about when it was commissioned.
Skip ahead, skip ahead, Palpatine just says "Hey, check out my kick ass, fully equipped clone army I got!"

Nobody questions where he got it?
Nobody raises an eyebrow that the army was discovered during an investigation into a Senetorial assassination attempt?

Starting to think the Jedi kinda had the purge coming.

A few scenes of dialogue between Palpatine and the Jedi counsel could have explained the whole thing.

Palpatine can cast doubt on the Jedi by questioning why the army was commissioned by one of their order and demand they transfer control of the army to the Senate.
Let's not start with the Prequels, they make Zero sense.
Why does a blockade not block ships? Why didn't they attack the droid control ship first and end the invasion instantly? Why did Amidala thank a droid for fixing the ship like it's a person? Why didn't Anakin buy his mom with his Jedi pocket money? Medichlorians? I could go on forever, but you should just watch the Plinkett reviews.