eBay Bans Spells, Potions, and Curses

Mr F.

Jul 11, 2012
Mythrandia said:
Mr F. said:
Uh. Just... Skimming most of this thread. You lot know why. If I read all of the huge posts written by Mythrandia it would be a good hour until I would be able to do anything. Seriously.

My brain has turned to mush though. Just from contact with non-sensical word walls. I automatically try to read things, get about 300 words in then my brain just starts to scream.

"Why, For the love of god, why! Why are you reading such non-sensical horse bollocks! Save yourself!"

And then I stop.

More on topic?

Bout time. I fucking hate this shite. I hope eBay steps up and bans the selling of anything related to Homeopathy or anything sold by a "Nutritionist" (Fyi, I am now a Nutritionist. Because the term that requires a degree is Dietitian. If you state you are a Nutritionist, you are now a Nutritionist. The word is meaningless and there is no regulatory body. Go forth and scam, Brethren). Life would be easier, or at least happier, if the scam artists of this world were regulated into the nether hells.
I think ebay should regulate hypnosis. There should be lists of patterns which children are not allowed to use and say, forbidden combinations of words that cannot be spoken to people while they are in deep trances. In fact I think people should go to jail for making certain suggestions habitually, in the same sense that people shouldd go to jail for giving lsd to people and becoming their spirit guides and leading them through a psychosis to a juncture in spacetime where they instruct this person to fly off a cliff.

Just kidding I don't think hypnosis should be regulated. If you did that then Bandler and Grinder wouldn't be able to argue with each other and say things like

Bandler: There is no such thing as hypnosis
Grinder: Everything is hypnosis.

And so on, with frogs to princes, and wands to snakes, and egyptian mythology and such.
Let me be clear: In the following statements I do not intend to insult you in any way. Faith is one thing, fact is another. I accept faith (Religion, stuff like that), up until someone declares it to be fact.

If something is being presented as a fact (Drinking this WILL cause this) and it is proven to not be a fact (Drinking the offered item will do nothing) then something has gone wrong. Deliberately or accidentally, someone has been mislead and this is wrong. Without this certainty that the items we buy or consume are what they claim to be our modern, capitalist world would collapse.

But selling magic, homeopathy, anything that cannot be proven is wrong. It is harvesting money from people too dumb to look after themselves. Some might argue that these people should be allowed to make those mistakes. Probably the same people who think that speed cameras are limiting freedoms. But oh well.

Practice your religions. Just do not try and charge me for prayers and other such things which cannot be proven to work. Or can be proven not to work. God I hate homeopathy. And all other forms of scams of this nature.

Timnoldzim

May 19, 2012
Mythrandia said:
Timnoldzim said:
Awwww! But I was just about to put up my Great-Grandpa's coffin! There's still 142 years left on its curse, y'know.
How do you know?
Well, he said it'd be 150 years, and he died 8 years ago. If the bastard lied to me, well, that's no skin off my nose.

II2

Mar 13, 2010
You KNOW trying to ban the sale of magick will just drive the users to the unregulated wilds of the black market where they might get involved with cut products, criminal activities and violence... ;)

eBay are positioning themselves as shield on the bank account of a perticular subset of the desperately naieve. My first reaction was along the lines of "why" - just let people do their thing if that's how they want to spend their money, but I came around to it since generally we're talking about the sort of people who try to sell air guitars. The sale of actual books, art, trinkets or occult, "magickal" paraphernalia is still allowed because there's an actual product. Sounds fair, though I could think of a few grey areas.

I'm not sure how Mr. Crowley would feel:

"Do What Thou Wilt Shall Be The Whole of The Law"

Thorvan

May 15, 2009
CaptainMarvelous said:
Thorvan said:
Okay, as an actual Wiccan (Or Witch, I take either one) who ACTUALLY knows a few things on the topic, let me make a potentially pointless attempt to clear things up; I'm not the most knowledgeable on the topic, but I feel it my duty to clear some things up.

First of all, Mythrandia is being hilarious.

Being a Witch/Wizard/Druid etc. Is actually a legitimate, fairly old religion, you probably know it as paganism, and was actually one of the more predominate western European religions; We're pretty sure, it's a little hard to tell considering that the Catholic church kinda rolled in and destroyed every trace of it. What bits did survive eventually came into the US in the mid-50s as Wiccanism or Paganism and has been a growing religion ever since. There's probably a few covens around where you live, you can usually google it. Like all faiths, please try to treat it with a baseline of respect.
I actually looked into this a little at Uni and I can add, it wasn't one religion of wizards/druids/what-not, there were bucket loads in England alone of different stuff like Tree Language, Druids doing stuff, Runes from the Vikings, Candle Magic, Dowsing, they're all from different 'religions' if you want to phrase it like that. Paganism isn't 'sactly an old religion as much as a label on a type, like Christianity sub-divides into Catholicism and Mormons but with a bit more sub-division than that (Lugh and Baldur might symbolise the same thing but they were vastly different in terms of the beliefs and how they worshipped) so... yeah. Sorry, just adding more context to it o.o-b.
I'm aware, I was more-or-less trying to put it into a recognizable context; Most different groups are today fairly small, and hard to run into especially in North America, so I was more trying to give a VERY quick run-down on those you might typically run into this day and age. I provided the link for people who wanted to dig a little deeper, but I figured I'd focus on the immediate rather than give a history lecture. Also, I was tired, and was prone to screw something up.

Thanks a lot for adding on, though! <3

s_h_a_d_o

Mr Propellerhead
Jun 15, 2010
I'm not usually one to play Devil's advocate :)P), but I take it, therefore, that the sale of all religious material (and quasi-spiritual paraphernalia) will be banned as well?

s_h_a_d_o

Mr Propellerhead
Jun 15, 2010
Draech said:
I dont think there is a large amount of prayer for sale to the monotheistic deities, but probably more than enough religious idols and paraphernalia.
I wasn't aware monotheistic deities were eBay users. :p
Draech said:
Where the line is drawn I guess is if the item is an actual physical item rather than a made up service.
But a "magic potion" can be deemed an actual physical item, even if it's efficacy is debatable. And who's to say that a "true believer" cannot experience an intended effect (whether placebo or no), as much as any inspiration of faith derived from an effigy of a human figure upon a cross.
My point being, that one man's religion is another man's heresy, and to an agnostic mind, any particular religious belief system (and the various associated components) may be based upon "a made up service".
What's the bet that the undoubtedly prodigious selection of "Christian-centric" products won't be coming off the [virtual] shelves anytime soon.

ClockworkPenguin

Mar 29, 2012
DugMachine said:
Mythrandia is totally a wizard I just know it.
Nah, I'd say he's more a Dirk Gentley style bamboozler. It helps that no one has the stamina to make it through the reams of text he produces.

ClockworkPenguin

Mar 29, 2012
Mythrandia said:
ClockworkPenguin said:
DugMachine said:
Mythrandia is totally a wizard I just know it.
Nah, I'd say he's more a Dirk Gentley style bamboozler. It helps that no one has the stamina to make it through the reams of text he produces.
Do you know Svlad Cjelli? Do you know Reg? What are the 3 questions that George III asked Reg?
Is that a reference to the books? Its been a few years since I read them.

Kuchinawa212

Apr 23, 2009
Darn, I was really hoping to buy the Apocalypse spell, I hear it goes for like 1000 at retail. I was hoping I could find a none used copy for a little cheaper. But now no. How am I going to wipe out all life on the planet if I can't go the major hub for internet goods.

Maybe amazon has it.