Echo Bazaar Dev Returns With The Night Circus

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Echo Bazaar Dev Returns With The Night Circus

Magic, mystery, surly cats, and popcorn flavored with cinnamon await you in The Night Circus.

Failbetter Games, the minds behind the much-loved and award-winning Echo Bazaar [http://echobazaar.failbettergames.com], have teamed up with author Erin Morgenstern to create a new online browser game, based on Morgenstern's upcoming novel, The Night Circus.

The Night Circus is exactly what it sounds like, a circus that is open only between nightfall and dawn. The novel tells the story of two dueling wizards, Celia and Marco, who fall in love despite themselves. Unfortunately, their love cannot change the course of the game they have both been embroiled in since childhood, a game which must be played out, and only one of them will walk away from.

Failbetter's version is no less interesting. Players take on the role of a circus attendee, exploring its mysteries along with other "Rêveurs" or "dreamers." Just like Echo Bazaar, there are many different ways to approach a situation, and the player must choose the one that suits him or her best. Even something as seemingly simple as opening your circus invitation has a choice attached to it, and that choice affects the course of the game.

The game is largely a single player affair, but it also has social media elements. By inviting friends to the game on Twitter and Facebook, players increase their "Rêveur Rank." Once the invitees start playing, everything that they do will increase the inviter's Rêveur Rank a little bit, and higher ranks mean more options when exploring the circus.

Failbetter co-founder Alexis Kennedy said that it had been a "privilege and a pleasure" to work on the project, and hoped that it would give people a taste of the "extraordinary world" that Morgenstern had created. Morgenstern herself was also pleased with the partnership. "It has been absolutely fascinating," she said, "to watch Failbetter take my book and turn it into a marvelously illustrated puzzle filled with tantalizing bits of story."

If you're a big fan of Echo Bazaar - which I must admit that I am - then you're going to love The Night Circus. It's the same blend of mystery and imagination, and it's gorgeous to boot, with a wonderful black and white color scheme, accentuated by splashes of red, just like the Rêveurs themselves. You can give The Night Circus game a try here [http://www.nightcircus.co.uk], and pick up the novel version on September 13th.

Daniel_Rosamilia

Jan 17, 2008
This DEFINITELY has my interest.
I just logged into it, and it has a good story, and if the game's anything to go by, then the book will be brilliant.
If anyone's played/playing Echo Bazaar, then I heartily recommend getting on board with this one.
EDIT: On a related note, would anyone want a 'Night Circus' group for the Escapist. because I'm willing to make it.

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
Wait, so the game is ready to play?

Excuse me for a bit then, while I sign up.

Andalusa

Mad Cat Lady
Feb 25, 2008
I love Echo Bazaar, of course I immediately signed up for this. It's a great game, the same sort of style as EB, a little darker and a lot simpler. With a shorter refresh time for the deck and no total actions per day means you can play almost continuously.
It's a shame the only way to level up is by adding people, but that shouldn't be a problem, there are few people I know that would be interested in this game. I understand why playing cards wouldn't level you up, the cards you're dealt is all a matter of luck so gaining XP for each time you click would make it way too easy.
The game is great and if that's anything to go by, then the book will be equally as great, it's a definite purchase for me.

fletch_talon

Nov 6, 2008
Is this real?
I only ask because last time I read a book by a "Morgenstern" the Author didn't really exist. Now I don't know what is true anymore.

Actually to be fair, it was authored by someone who did exist, as an abridgedment of a book which doesn't exist, written by a man who also didn't exist.

plugav

Mar 2, 2011
It's not nearly as deep as Echo Bazaar, but just as magical. And damn me if this is not one of the coolest ways to promote a book ever.