Edge by Mobigame Again Pulled from App Store

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
You can't trademark a word with actual meaning in the English language. I mean, you apparently can, but it's just not right.

Arbitrary Cidin

Apr 16, 2009
Ugh, this is why you aren't supposed to trademark modern lexicon. I suppose that Soul Calibur V isn't going to include Nightmare's Soul Edge weapon of choice? Oh and flat-surfaced, three dimensional objects are now illegal, as they have edges on them.

Gmano

Apr 3, 2009
-Stranger- said:
Georgeman said:
iPod by Sony?! What the fuck?! iPod is not a real word you dumb fuck! Edge, on the other hand, IS! I really, sincerely hope you'll go to the special circle of hell reserved for trolls, Tim Langdell.
You know what? We should copyright 'The.' Just think of the profits!
Thats right, now pay up! you said just think of the profits.

Thats the same as saying: just think of XBOX360 profits.

I am sooo suing you.

ZeroKadaver

Mar 29, 2008
Snarky comments aside there needs to be a limit on how much stuff one person can buy out just so he can have his wordly fixation. Lets be glad he chose a shitty word like Edge and not Dark, Zero, Evil, Duty...

MalloClam

Forum Mollusca
Mar 1, 2009
In related news, Edge Games also plans to sue the creators of Mirror's Edge, Motorstorm Arctic Edge, Cross Edge, MX vs. ATV Unleashed: On the Edge, Independence War 2: Edge of Chaos, Baja: Edge of Control, Hired Guns: The Jagged Edge, Edge of Twilight, Samurai Shodown: Edge of Destiny, Cluster Edge, Twisted Edge Extreme Snowboarding, and Dragon Edge Pinball.

super_mumbles

Sep 24, 2008
Why is it that Apple, Orange and O2 are able to avoid this sort of thing, but not this guy?
Makes me think it's all a PR stunt for his company, before these lawsuits I'd never even heard of "Edge games"

(Side note: Why does their logo look the same as the Edge magazine logo? The two don't seem to be connected in any way, besides name)

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
Gaaaah! You can't OWN PARTS OF THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE! This is ridiculous!

If this dickhead can get away with owning "edge" where does it end?

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
-Stranger- said:
Georgeman said:
iPod by Sony?! What the fuck?! iPod is not a real word you dumb fuck! Edge, on the other hand, IS! I really, sincerely hope you'll go to the special circle of hell reserved for trolls, Tim Langdell.
You know what? We should copyright 'The.' Just think of the profits!
We should trademark "Tim Langdell", and fuck him up, ask the goverment to remove him from the face of the earth because he infringe's on own copyright.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
azure-gaia said:
Why is it that Apple, Orange and O2 are able to avoid this sort of thing, but not this guy?
Makes me think it's all a PR stunt for his company, before these lawsuits I'd never even heard of "Edge games"

(Side note: Why does their logo look the same as the Edge magazine logo? The two don't seem to be connected in any way, besides name)
He's tried to con money out of Edge Magazine by saying that it was his logo to begin with.

MPXenon

Aug 12, 2009
Mobigames need to grow a pair and call his bluff, because if this ever actually got to court Langdell hasn't got a leg to stand on....I don't know what wierd reality Langdell is living in, but no judge could ever uphold his "trademark".

Secondly, are they really planning to take on EA?....then this is definitely a publicity thing, because if they took on EA in court they'd lose...EVEN if they were in the right! Money and good lawers wins out most of the time!

Lucas113

Lord Carol
Sep 10, 2008
Malygris said:
...and claiming that the recent release of the PC game Racers [http://www.edge-racers.com/] nullifies the argument that Edge Games hasn't actually put out any games in well over a decade.
The alarming thing is that it is impossible to buy Racers - the store link on the Edge Games site is dead, and unsurprisingly using such vague search terms doesn't bring up any reasonable results in any search engine. I wouldn't be surprised if Edge just built some screenshots in order to justify their actions...

EDIT: I stand corrected - it can be bought through this link [http://www.smartcart.com/EDGEGAMES/cgi/search.cgi?terms=1_PC_and_Console_Games::&category=1_PC_and_Console_Games] , but why you'd want to throw $25 at Langdell's evil empire is beyond me!

tk1989

May 20, 2008
I might just go and copyright the word "the". Thats right. And I'll go and sue every company with the word 'the' in it!

Fucking hell, this has gotten pretty fucking ridiculous. How can a company get away with such a bullshit tactic?!

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
It seems rather cowardly of Apple to not stand by their provider, given who's suing them and for what. I hope this deference to trademark trolling backlashes on them in public opinion.

roskelld

Aug 17, 2009
MPXenon said:
Mobigames need to grow a pair and call his bluff, because if this ever actually got to court Langdell hasn't got a leg to stand on....I don't know what wierd reality Langdell is living in, but no judge could ever uphold his "trademark".
Mobigame is powerless in this case as they've tried. Edge has been released on to the Apple store twice now and it's Apple who have removed it at Langdell's request. If Apple don't consent then Edge doesn't exist on the App store. So it's not for Mobigame's trying, they want to release the game, they know Langdell has no chance to fight it. Apple on the other hand don't seem to want to be part of the fight choosing to bow out rather than make their own mind up on it. That's a theory anyway, Apple haven't actually issued a reason why the game has been removed.

MPXenon said:
Secondly, are they really planning to take on EA?....then this is definitely a publicity thing, because if they took on EA in court they'd lose...EVEN if they were in the right! Money and good lawers wins out most of the time!
No, EA are taking on Edge Games. Like it or not Langdell is battling against the giant. He baited them by creating the ad for MIRRORS (a game by) EDGE on his website and filled against the EA trademark Mirror's Edge. He claimed that the name was too similar to his own in production title that no one had ever heard of, and that it also contained the word Edge, which you're not allowed to do (In his eyes).

Mobigame have been battling this because he needs to be stopped. If everyone just accepted his threats and did what he said, then his website would be bolstered with masses of 'claimed' products. That's where the Datel Edge controller, the Edge brand PCs, the Magazine, the comics all come from, they're companies that Langdell has threatened into signing licence agreements with so that he can 'claim' their products as his own, which in his eyes justifies his trademark.

His claims over the 'iPod by Sony' show what an actual idiot he is. For a start iPod is an invented word, it doesn't exist anywhere else and has no meaning other than 'mp3 device made by Apple'. On the other hand 'Apple' is a word with many meanings, it's a nice fruit, a computer manufacturer, a band, a record label. Now it seems that Langdell is claiming 'Edge' is a word like 'iPod', one that he invented to uniquely mark his products.

To quickly counter his oh-so-weak argument, do a quick search on the App store for 'Apple', are you surprised to see around 20 apps with the word Apple in their title? Of course not, Apple is a word, it's only trademarked in a certain context. You can't produce a computer called 'Apple Extreme PC' or an MP3 player called 'Apple MP3' cause that would be trading off Apple's brand and it would be confusing customers into thinking that you're Steve Jobs. On the other hand you can make a program called 'Apple picking' or 'Adventure in the Big Apple' because you're obviously not talking about Apple the computer brand, therefore not broaching any trademarks.

Capo Taco

Nov 25, 2006
"an Edge rep said in a statement."

This can only be 3 persons: Langdell, his first lawyer or his new lawyer. Always smoke and mirrors to sound like a big corporation.

Break

And you are?
Sep 10, 2007
Lucas113 said:
Malygris said:
...and claiming that the recent release of the PC game Racers [http://www.edge-racers.com/] nullifies the argument that Edge Games hasn't actually put out any games in well over a decade.
The alarming thing is that it is impossible to buy Racers - the store link on the Edge Games site is dead, and unsurprisingly using such vague search terms doesn't bring up any reasonable results in any search engine. I wouldn't be surprised if Edge just built some screenshots in order to justify their actions...

EDIT: I stand corrected - it can be bought through this link [http://www.smartcart.com/EDGEGAMES/cgi/search.cgi?terms=1_PC_and_Console_Games::&category=1_PC_and_Console_Games] , but why you'd want to throw $25 at Langdell's evil empire is beyond me!
Google "Voltage (game)".

This is getting ridiculous. The guy's given so much certifiably false evidence in court, I honestly don't understand why he hasn't be slapped with fraud yet.

Gaderael

Apr 14, 2009
Tim Langdell is just a lousy piece of edgecrement. He needs to take a long walk off the edge of a cliff.

Bob_F_It

It stands for several things
May 7, 2008
WanderFreak said:
To everyone in this thread, you'll be receiving letters instructing you to cease and desist the use of the word "it's" which is now a registered trademark of Le Douchebag Corporation.

Be sure to buy our new product, iPod Edge from It's.
Too late, I already copyrighted "of", and you've used it TWICE .

Niccolo

Dec 15, 2007
I do hope EA flatten them. Then buy them. Then dismember the company for good measure.

Now, I really don't like EA. But I'm rooting for them here.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
hansari said:
YOU FOOLS!!!!!!

EVIL ALWAYS FINDS A WAY!
You forget the Stolen Pixels strip (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comics/stolen-pixels/6416-Stolen-Pixels-118-A-Farce-to-be-Reckoned-With):