Edge or Edgy: The Clash of Two Game Makers - Update

Duncanm

Aug 18, 2009
Armitage Shanks said:
CraigGrannell said:
"Wouldn't you think if Mobigames hadn't given them permission to publish, someone representing them would have asked the Escapist to take it down?"

Maybe they did.

Still, good to see that the initial stream of "The Escapist said it, so it MUST be true" has died down, replaced with a lot more of "They said WHAT?" and people even refusing to come back here, even for Zero Punctuation.

The fact the editors here refuse to make any amendments to the article, despite getting basic fundamental facts utterly wrong and knowing full well the article's stance is damaging to an indie dev is reprehensible. At one time, people used to compare Escapist with Edge; now, they'll just twin it with an entirely different?and not so admirable?Edge.
...All right? Have fun with that one.

I'm not even sure what you're trying to say: The Escapist have some vendetta against Mobigames and are breaching an agreement with them by publishing an email they were told not to publish, because they're just pure evil? Because they hate everything Mobigames stands for? Because they want to crush indie developers?

And this then means people have stopped taking the Escapist seriously and no longer like Zero Punctuation, ergo the Escapist is as bad as Edge?

Am I off the mark? How far?

And does it really matter? Whether what the Escapist has reported is or isn't wrong, its not going to effect the eventual outcome of the ensuing legal battle, is it? I don't see how it offends you on such a personal level. We'll see what all unfolds as it unfolds, and we'll see who was wrong or right then. You getting inexplicably angry and ranting and raving won't affect it either, so feel free to make your point about how terrible the Escapist is, but really, chill out man.
I think maybe what he's trying to say is that if this is what happens when they try their hand at SERIOUS JOURNALISM, then maybe they should just stick to reviewing games in future. :)

Brett Alex

Jul 22, 2008
Duncanm said:
I think maybe what he's trying to say is that if this is what happens when they try their hand at SERIOUS JOURNALISM, then maybe they should just stick to reviewing games in future. :)
Ah, I see. Thank you.

Man it would have been easier if he'd come out and said that straight up.

EDIT:
I mean, I disagree, but I can see where he is coming from now.

mk-1601

Feb 21, 2008
Armitage Shanks said:
And does it really matter? Whether what the Escapist has reported is or isn't wrong, its not going to effect the eventual outcome of the ensuing legal battle, is it? I don't see how it offends you on such a personal level. We'll see what all unfolds as it unfolds, and we'll see who was wrong or right then. You getting inexplicably angry and ranting and raving won't affect it either, so feel free to make your point about how terrible the Escapist is, but really, chill out man.
You don't understand why people object to lazy, inaccurate reporting? Really?

Nobody is "inexplicably angry" here. The Escapist have published a substandard story which is damaging to Mobigames and ludicrously soft-pedals on Langdell's decades of allegedly questionable business practices. I'd suggest that you read Eurogamer (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/the-edge-of-reason) or TIGSource's coverage of the affair to get a better grasp of how poor The Escapist's take is.

By telling people to "chill out", you're simply sending a message to The Escapist that integrity comes a distant second to generating traffic.

Keith Andrew

Aug 18, 2009
Armitage Shanks said:
And does it really matter? Whether what the Escapist has reported is or isn't wrong, its not going to effect the eventual outcome of the ensuing legal battle, is it?
I really hope those in charge at The Escapist don't take that kind of attitude.

Of course it matters - not only because this is a case so far only played out in the press, but because anyone covering the story (or any story in fact) should wish to do so in the best faith. If this article is shitty then the site is shitty. Websites live and die by their content.

Phyroxis

Witty Title Here
Apr 18, 2008
Has anyone seen Edge's website? Janky shithole that is... Is their claim to fame really just a trademarked common word? Really?

Its like the dude pulled a George Lucas.. only he didn't create anything cool, epic, or legitimate to trademark.

Mar 16, 2009
Hmm..... I just have to come back to this article.
Remember when everyone on the Escapist said you incorrectly supported a douchebag?
Remember when the rest of the world agreed?