[EDITED]how would you react to a distopian ending to a game

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Mr.K. said:
Well what you are talking about there is having all their work go to waste... how would you feel it that happened?
I for one would be mighty pissed.

If you can come up with some reason that makes the journey not be in vain then you could possibly sell it, but it is walking a very fine line.
But it's a story , that's how the story ends it shouldn't matter . I though stories were about the journey and not the destinstion .

OT: iv'e wanted this kinda of ending to be cannon in a rpg for years . Not all stories need a happy ending . Bittersweet is good , but we need more endings where the hero fails . Now i wouldn't have the " boss fight" be a suppose to lose thing . I rather you best the final boss and have a little extra suppose to lose battle kinda like in FF7 where Cloud Ominislashes Sephiroth , except the roles are changed . Also the ending sequence better be really good , because of not THAT will piss people off more in my opinion.

SlaveNumber23 said:
Provided its done well, I would welcome such an ending purely because its something rather fresh and different. I suppose it would be rather difficult though to pull it off without making your audience feel ripped off or unsatisfied but I think it could work well in careful hands. I'm certainly not going to do something as silly as demand my money back even if I witness the absolute worst ending possible.
This basically.

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
My initial gut reaction would be to feel pretty annoyed. I think I'd get over it though if the story was *really* good and made sense or if this was a cliffhanger to a sequel.

thejackyl

Apr 16, 2008
About the only way I could see this working is if your objective was to do something that caused the dystopian future to happen, probably not know what that mugguffin would actually do.

Though I did like the ending of Red Dead Redemption. And it was quite a bit of a downer.

gamernerdtg2

Jan 2, 2013
Mr.K. said:
Well what you are talking about there is having all their work go to waste... how would you feel it that happened?
I for one would be mighty pissed.

If you can come up with some reason that makes the journey not be in vain then you could possibly sell it, but it is walking a very fine line.
Yes this. That's why Shadow of the Collosus was a huge downer for me. I will admit that SotC's ending was more thought out, and in the context of ICO's story, it makes sense.

Your game would have to be a sequel or prequel.
Otherwize, it's kind of juvinille to have a story where you're winning and then loose at the last second.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
I don't know dude how did people react to Mass Effect 3... :p

If it's a heroes sacrifice then you might get away with it, If it's just LOL YOU LOSE then no...people will hate it.

II2

Mar 13, 2010
thespyisdead said:
So i am trying to write a story to a game, and i came up with an ending to the game where you fight the final boss and you are kicking his ass, and just as you deal the finishing blow, he transforms into something big and crushes you and your party like a bunch of flies.

My question is how would you react to this kind of distopian ending to a game: would you demand your money back, or would you feel that this was a good ending to a game or something else.

please comment as much as possible on this, as it would be interesting to hear from every gamer. Also it would nice to hear how people take distopian endings in general.

captcha: happy rlappy

god damn that thing is sentient, or something
First off, it's spelled "dystopian", same root prefix as dys●functional. Second, a dystopia is a society, typically characterized by a prevalence of sadness, misery, oppression, dysfunction and or similar atributes.

Unless your boss battle causes a plot thread leading to the formation of such a society (e.g: the bad guy wins and then takes control of the poor people with a tyrannical iron fist), is not dystopian. Disappointing, ironic, dissonant, frustrating, philosophical, cynical, abrupt, confusing, neutralizing, all possible, but not dystopian, as long as we're using our words with care.

---

Rhetoric aside, I think the context is more important the the mechanics of having the player character and friends getting smacked down. One of the foundations of gaming is the possibility to lose, but with the exception of certain long-run rouge-likes and other oddities, rarely an inevitability. People can accept fucking up, but they naturally own it as long as they were participating and the challenge seems plausible. I've never met too many people who really liked 'supposed to lose' fights or 'death in a cutscene' scripted bits in games they play. People weren't big on Aeris dying in FF7 (if anyone calls spoilers on a that I'mma sock 'em) and people did not, generally, like the limited and 'hands off' nature of the ending in Mass Effect 3, for examples.

If you write your players into a 'fuck you' boss battle where they lose, there had better be a good reason for it. If you do so just because it seemed like an interesting way to mess with peoples expectations, they'll pick up on that.

My suggestion would be to do the Ozymandias thing and let you players beat the boss in play, but have that be insufficient to stop what they've set into motion or been doing, if you're married to the idea. Not everyone will love it, but you'll have more people thinking, 'hmm, yeah, I guess some good acts can't undo evil ones' than 'fuck this game and it's stupid on rails ending.'

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Quellist said:
A more Dystopian ending would be for you to defeat the Boss only to find out all his evil acts served a greater purpose, say conquering and enslaving neighbouring countries to unite them and make them able to survive some catastrophe that, divided, would destroy them.

And there you stand, realizing by defeating the evil overlord you have doomed yourself and everyone you love to bitter destruction...

An ending like that would IMO be pretty sweet....
I like this idea better then having the villain go super sayin and flatten the group

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
It's been tried before, and believe me, it's not fun when it happens.
EXAMPLE (skip to 10:02):
Now, if it weren't just an instant "GAME OVER", and rather you knowing that you're going to lose and you have to hold out as long as you can, that would be something different.
A downer ending isn't nessecarily bad, but an abrupt one is.

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
thespyisdead said:
So i am trying to write a story to a game, and i came up with an ending to the game where you fight the final boss and you are kicking his ass, and just as you deal the finishing blow, he transforms into something big and crushes you and your party like a bunch of flies.

My question is how would you react to this kind of distopian ending to a game: would you demand your money back, or would you feel that this was a good ending to a game or something else.

please comment as much as possible on this, as it would be interesting to hear from every gamer. Also it would nice to hear how people take distopian endings in general.

captcha: happy rlappy

god damn that thing is sentient, or something
Well, look how people reacted to ME3's ending. It wasn't distopian, but people hated it.

After reading these forums I've come to the conclusion that every ending is a bad one. But I like your idea, however I might suggest thatyou don't make it so you kick the bad guy's ass before he transforms ad kills you. Personally, that would piss me off because it's like, why wold I stand round and wait. So if I were playing that, I would like to see an even battle that eventually gets too hard and then I die because I just aren't strong enough to beat the enemy. THAT would be a really cool distopian ending in my mind because there was never that moment where I was totally winning, if I was always on the back foot, then the ending looks very bleak, and I would love to see that.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
Quellist said:
A more Dystopian ending would be for you to defeat the Boss only to find out all his evil acts served a greater purpose, say conquering and enslaving neighbouring countries to unite them and make them able to survive some catastrophe that, divided, would destroy them.

And there you stand, realizing by defeating the evil overlord you have doomed yourself and everyone you love to bitter destruction...

An ending like that would IMO be pretty sweet....
*slowclaps*

that's beautiful man

just beautiful

on topic, I found most of the ending vignettes in dragon age origin depressing. Everything seemed to go badly for everybody... but that might just have been me.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Depends on the universe and how the ending came about.

If it were in a GRIMDARK universe like Warhammer 40000 then I would be more accepting of it than a light hearted comedy.

Also if you were being played by the enemy/declared traitors for your actions/hadf to destroy the thing your were fighting for would definably be better than a generic "rocks fall everyone dies"

Of course if it is to create a cliffhanger for a sequel then the game can go die in a fire.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
It has been done before - Legacy of Kain, Zone of the Enders...but there was always the subtext of "to be continued...". Outright killing the main character might not work. Perhaps a setback, like knocking the character out or the boss escapes at the last second.

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
It'd be best if you could have two different endings that are dependent upon the player's success or failure in said final fight. Much less irksome than a rocks-fall scenario. I can only think of two games I played through that I know did that; Lego Island and Freespace 2.

Off-topic: Discover can kiss my ass.

Mikejames

Jan 26, 2012
If there was no build-up to it, and it was a last second way to make the entire story inevitably and unnecessarily depressing?

As someone who's enjoyed tragic endings, that would hardly sound satisfying.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
The heroes winning and ushering in a nightmare future world would be awesome.

Mick Beard

Jan 9, 2013
the hidden eagle said:
Mick Beard said:
the hidden eagle said:
Mick Beard said:
well it happened in AC3 and everyone bitched and whined about it
That's because spoiler warning here (Desmond had no reason to die and he just does and releases a bitter goddess with intentions to enslave humanity into the world.)The whole thing was contrived and that's why people were pissed because Ubisoft needed some excuse to get Desmond out of the picture.
how do we really know he is dead?

AC4 is set within the same blood line (conners gramps) so my guess is that Desmond isnt dead or is brought back and now the fight is to stop Juno... if Juno can come back there is nothign stopping desmond from coming back
True but Ubisoft said AC3 was the last time we are going to see Desmond so that makes me think he's dead.

Besides it could be some randon person who's viewing Edward Kenway's memories since at the end of AC3 it was revealed that Desmond's genentic memories were recorded and archived in some sort of cloud system, so it could be anyone who has access to the animus.
Yeah seems legit, could be a bastard child, his father a sibling... but i am thinking desmond will be back, he has been the main dude in all the games so he still will have a part to play

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
the ending in the OP would be incredibly bad with the end boss just going "lol jk u die nao" i mean you gotta build it up like its an impossible task and you just fail in the end i am all for a game where you lose in the end mass effect 3 might have been great if you eventually lost i can also see working it where you win but its a hollow phrryic victory that might be pretty fun but the bad guy turning round and being all urban mech on you and stomping you out of no where where all the lead up is traditional would suck arse

Jan 27, 2011
If you're going to have a downer ending, you need to work HARD to make it work.

Having a "Rocks fall, everyone dies" kind of ending will just piss everyone off. NOBODY likes being on the road to winning, and then out of nowhere, you get owned and the game ends arbitrarily. You need to feel like your struggle MEANT something. You need to feel like you contributed to something. Otherwise, what the hell was the point of playing anyway?

To make a PROPER downer ending, you need to make the player feel like it was inevitable. You need to make them feel like it was more about the journey than the end. You need to make the player feel sad, beaten and broken. NOT frustrated.

For example, I made an RPG for a contest about a month ago. The ending segment was pretty downer. And people love it because you really feel like it was unavoidable and that you're a fool for thinking it would have turned out any different, which fits well with the theme of the game. And then I "ruin" it by letting the player pick between 2 downer endings (both of which are depressing as hell) or an ambiguous-yet-kickass ending, allowing the player the possibility to finish the game on something that isn't a low.

So far, though, I've gotten nothing but praise for the endings. :p