Editor's Note: Cataclysm

Tarrker

Jun 18, 2008
coldfrog said:
Hear hear! As much as I love the troll design and story, my first real character (I made a tauren hunter very early that I quickly dumped) was an undead warlock, and I knew immediately that the quest lines and areas were much more what I was looking for. I was also quite disappointed lately when
They removed Varimathras and the abominations from Undercity. I grew up with his insults and various dungeon demands, and seeing him gone was very sad. I miss the slimy aura and gurgling noises of those abominations every time you ask them for directions too.

I spent almost all my time in Undercity... my hill was actually the other way around - the first time I arrived at the entrance hall to Undercity and the ruins of this old city with it's slimy river running through, the great throne and the broken statue (which I still climb on top of these days). It was just like - my emergence from the grave to this world.
Yay! A fellow undead! I played all the Warcraft games straight back to the very first which is proudly installed on my hard drive even now. All 8 megs of it :)

I must say, though, my favorite unit was always the Dreadlords from Warcraft 3 so I feel your pain a little on the loss of Varimathras.

Personally, my hill, was just when I first stepped out into Tirisfal glades with my squishy, little, holy priest. It was a terrible and arduous trudge to the level cap with no friends to back me up and no mount until level 40 x_x

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Ok, the biggest event in the biggest game in the history of gaming is coming soon...

Can we get over the fact that the Escapist may wish to cover it? I'd say any site devoted to covering gaming culture and gaming in general, that doesn't cover WOW is failing its readership. I've been playing four years, and I have a friend who's just starting, which is nice as he should see a fair bit of Azeroth before it's forever changed by the Cataclysm.

He says he's seeing the difference in coming from Guild Wars in the sheer scale and depth involved, and he's not even level 20 yet.

It's an entirely legitimate subject to make a big feature of, and of course, I understand there's a fairly large proportion of Escapists who'll have no interest at all in this week's newsletter, just I have had no interest about features on JRPGs or RTS games.

Yet just as not playing a RTS, you may find in depth analysis of what makes a RTS gamer tick, and why they're drawn to such a game style, interesting, maybe there'll be something in this week for non WOWers too. Maybe some understanding of why so many people are drawn in and fall in love with the characters, the stories, the environments and the game.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
It's also been interesting seeing it from a newbie's perspective again, especially one moving from another MMO.

He never understood why WOW didn't offer the instant travel of Guild Wars, which, like Oblivion and Fallout 3, had the 'fast travel' option, where you just click the map and appear at a new location. Now he's seeing that it's in place to give you a feeling of the sheer scale of the world.

It really is amazing to be new to WOW, and in a way it's a shame I can't experience that feeling again, my first few levels in the valley of trials, then clicking the map to see I'm in some tiny area of Durotar, still hugely unexplored, then clicking again to find out Durotar is maybe 5% of the continent, of which there's now two, three or four(depending on expansions).

Adventurer2626

Jan 21, 2010
Why? Why?! I was always leery of WoW and when I finally tried a couple characters I didn't really get into and solidified my vow to never be a citizen of Kalimdor. Now you pull out the nostalgia card for a game I've never really played, that won't get an opportunity now to play, no, experience properly? You dare plat upon my empathy, even sympathy? You evil, evil man! *begins sobbing*

This really is an interesting look at the human experience. It's a fictional world, but one that millions have come to love. Again, even though it's a fictional, man-made world, those that enjoy it have no power over it and can't stop the world they love from being torn asunder and (from what I can see) becoming a charred, corrupted, sickly husk of what it once was. I grieve for those for whom this hits home.

PlasticTree

May 17, 2009
It has been two years since I last touched WoW, but if I read or watch anything related to that game I still get all nostalgic about it. I had good reasons to quit WoW, and I never doubted my decision but..damn. No way that I'm ever going to forget WoW.

rddj623

"Breathe Deep, Seek Peace"
Sep 28, 2009
Great primer to the issue John! As a guy who's only casually played on friends accounts, or watched them play, I thought I might not find this issue all that interesting. Your editors note makes me think the exact opposite.

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
I re-read "the world is huge" several times, and I *still* can't read it without <a href=http://i.imgur.com/uBWCz.jpg>laughing uncontrollably.

Daggerfall was released in 1996, by the way, and Arena is 20 years old.

Protocol95

May 19, 2010
Yeah I'll miss those memories from my newbie days, running around as a night elf, jumping off of teldrassil and one memory in particular that I will never, ever forget...

For the alliance!

PipBoy2000

Oct 7, 2009
I have a noobish, innocent question.
Lets say I want to start playing WoW soon. What am I going to see?
I mean, will I be able to see all of the stuff you guys saw when your level was low, or everything changes for everybody?

The_Emperor

Mar 18, 2010
WoW really isn't that good, I dont get it.

Ok it's big and accessible, the worlds are well crafted and imaginative yes I admit but the system is dated, the graphics are dated, the ideas are dated.

I've played WoW clones more interesting than WoW. I even enjoyed WAR more despite the few warts it has it was far more interesting with all the pvp madness and cool classes. SWG and Planetside were more creative than WoW, Auto Assault and Hellgate:London, far more interesting premises poorly implemented sure but you know.

and the lore? spaceships and demon things and random glaring story convieniences?.

Warcraft 3>WoW in so many ways seriously.

I've tried all the classes(both factions too), main was hunter (i like guns) played for a few month and was totally bored and unrewarded

I'll probs play it again because of friends I do like it I'm just saying its not amazing enough to have an entire issue about, an article definately. a lengthy one. I'm an avid MMO player I've played alot of mmos and WoW isn't as good as people make it out to be. It's hellagrindy for a start.

despite how many people love and play the game its the principle that counts. objectiveness and journalism go hand in hand. Especially with all the anti fanboy sentiment on the Escapist I'm suprised they went with this idea.

Kiithid

Aug 12, 2009
PipBoy2000 said:
I have a noobish, innocent question.
Lets say I want to start playing WoW soon. What am I going to see?
I mean, will I be able to see all of the stuff you guys saw when your level was low, or everything changes for everybody?
If by soon you mean now you'll suffer the same pain we endured to level, if you start after Cataclysm you'll end up feeling a different kind of pain, the world will change for everybody playing, it won't matter if you have the expansion or not.

Also on topic, I can relate to mr.Funk pov, I still remember the 3 hours I spent running around in Ashenvale with my trusty pet, all the wonder brought to life. Cataclysm will sunder my former home, even though I can't wait for it enough. Change is good as long one's willing to adapt.

PipBoy2000

Oct 7, 2009
Kiithid said:
If by soon you mean now you'll suffer the same pain we endured to level, if you start after Cataclysm you'll end up feeling a different kind of pain, the world will change for everybody playing, it won't matter if you have the expansion or not.
So the old world is actually 'lost' and inaccessible to all the players forever? :p
This is a very strong argument against starting WoW now, since it probably means I lost a lot of content.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
PipBoy2000 said:
Kiithid said:
So the old world is actually 'lost' and inaccessible to all the players forever? :p
This is a very strong argument against starting WoW now, since it probably means I lost a lot of content.
no, if you start now, you'll see the world as it is, and have at least a couple of months to explore and see a fair amount of it.

Then Cataclysm will hit, and you'll appreciate all the differences.

I'd suggest if you're tempted to try it, get in there now, not after Cata.

(and if you're in Europe, PM me, I'll welcome you to my guild for newbie friendly help and advice!)

Dredos

Feb 13, 2010
Man... 6 years... 6 years of my life. If you spend 5 years in a different country you may be eligible for a citizenship... Give me a WoW passaport please ^^.

It makes me sad. Because sometimes when i get tried from the rush, from the boss kills or tries, I usually escape to azeroth for a relaxation trip. Visiting old pals around the azeroth, travelling from one place to another, swim at the STV or Tanaris, retake Gnomeregan, go after the mysterious discs of Uldum. Playing snowball in Winterspring. Every single location has its own fun. Damn. Its the fear actually. Losing the good old things and adapting the new. Why they arent using transition or we have right to choose to see what we want for the time..?

Scumpernickle

Sep 16, 2009
I came into the World of Warcraft before Burning Crusade. I felt exactly the same, standing on a little hill thinking about the entire world I still have left to explore.

But then comes BC and takes all the cool raids and things I still haven't done, then Lich King, and now this. Its kind of saddening yes, but it gives new potential to make new memories of great times.

My Troll Rogue has a lot to do for Cataclysm, so I better re-open my account and start to prepare, that is, once I have money. :p

Ezahn

The Werepianist
Jul 26, 2010
This Escapist issue is not "about WoW".
Is about using WoW to discuss the way in which "virtual universes" can affect us.
It's a trip inside our brains and souls.
I think it is a worthy topic indeed.