Editor's Note: Connecting the Dots for Fun and Profit

Stevey M

Technobabbler
Feb 11, 2009
Switchbreak said:
Stevey M said:
Quintin Stone said:
Expansion's all well and good, but if you guys can't even afford to pay your freelance writers, who's going to produce all this wonderful new content?
Um, I didn't see Russ mention anywhere that they're going to stop paying their writers.
Technically they would have to start paying freelancers before they could really stop.
All of the feature writers for the weekly issue pieces were paid as far as I'm aware.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
This all sound new and snazzy and exciting.
I'm here every day anyway, so having articles spread throughout the week just means more things to look forward to! I was also wondering why a new set of article topics hadn't appeared in the "Write for the Escapist" section as I was looking to write something if an interesting topic came up but this explains why.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
I approve of spreading out the Feature articles. They are always so long (and insightful) that I can never stomach reading more than one or two, max, at a time. And I never get around to reading the rest. So this gets my thumbs up.

briunj04

Apr 9, 2011
I for one welcome our new changes.
When a bunch of articles come out at once I feel overwhelmed and don't even bother reading them all, but if they come out in little parts, I'm more likely to check it out. And new subjects based on what the readers want is always a plus in my mind.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I like it. I liked the strict submission, it kind of inspired me, but this might be good as well. Will you feature short stories, novels one chapter at a time or both? Cuz I might be interested in getting into that.

Zenron

The Laughing Shadow
May 11, 2010
I'm glad. I never really liked the issue system that is in place at the moment. Releasing so much content at once can get kind of overwhelming and sometimes I won't get around to reading them. Feels like a waste to me.

So yeah, I think this is a step forward for The Escapist.

Quakester

Blaster Master
Apr 27, 2010
I love this site but I do miss "I Hit It With My Axe".

So far, the site looks like it's making positive changes. Well done.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Well, I do have a fondness for a thematic element that unites the content of the week, but change should not be feared. This may be for the best. I look forward to the new format, while saying I do love the current format.

Geoffrey42

Aug 22, 2006
I would be more sad if it hadn't been the direction everything had been going in for the last 3 years. You're certainly not the same girl I fell in love with, and I know... I know I'm still not a profitable demographic. But, we had some good times, didn't we? I guess... I guess I'm okay with settling on "friend". Good luck, friend.

We'll always have Noctis...

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
I like the content more evenly spread out, probably because i visit daily.

Smokescreen

Dec 6, 2007
It's an interesting experiment but I'm glad to see that articles aren't going away. I've felt that the 'weekly issue' writing parts were being heavily de-emphasized for awhile now and giving articles more front page space means, I hope, more interaction there.

That said; could those articles be marked somehow? They present along with all the other news, tidbits, comics and reviews and while I appreciate the easy gathering of information, distinguishing that information from all the other stuff isn't as easy now.

Wilson Kwok

Jul 12, 2010
BrotherRool said:
Change is good and it's good to see you changing, I hope the articles manage to be highlighted and sort out without a schedule though, I've learnt and thought so many interesting things reading them
Definatly agree on this one.

Sometimes I just want to visit the site to read the articles and leave the news and reviews for later.

But as right now, mashing the articles, news and reviews all together gets a little bit frustrating at times.

bpricems

Sep 18, 2010
I found the Escapist because of ZP, but I stayed for the articles. As long as the articles are easy to find on the front page, I will then look forward to the change.

Sniper430

The Choose
Sep 2, 2009
Sad to hear your moving away from your roots. Very glad to hear you will be maintaining expansive written articles though. Keep it up!

Nordstrom

Aug 24, 2006
I can understand the change. The weekly issue was looking pretty thin at times.

I still love the articles, but the frustrating thing for me is that I can't find them. I rarely read anything else on the Escapist and almost never watch any of the videos. Now I feel buried in content that doesn't interest me. It would be very helpful to collect the long-form articles on their own page, ideally in reverse chronological order, so that I could look back and find them. I don't like missing out and, with the way things are now, I'm not going to weed through the mess. Please make the thoughtful, text-based content accessible.

Nordstrom

Aug 24, 2006
I was hopeful, but I see that the features/articles page is dead after all. I feel as though the site has been ruined. Goodbye.