Editor's Note Escapist Magazine Volume 2: Issue 0

Dosbilliam

Feb 18, 2011
Country
US
At the risk of derailing this thread off of the "Welcome back Russ, hope you unscrew everything that happened here since you left" track...

madwarper said:
It has been three days since Zero Punctuation should have been posted.
Sounds like you could have made another thread for that instead of butting in on Russ' welcome back parade. All things considered, a delay in ZP is light compared to what could have happened, like the site imploding.

Anyway, as my little blurb says, I joined way back in early 2011, which iirc, was right before Russ left. That's when things were good, and I'm hoping they get somewhere close to there. Bob being back is a good sign, plus the chance of seeing someone make fun of Greg Tito again for his review of Dragon Age 2 should give everyone a nice :D on their faces. :D

Chaosian

Mar 26, 2011
Very exciting to come across and read. I'm filled with ennui and hope, I love this place, and look forward to the 'victory lap', if it may so be.

ewhac

Digital Spellweaver
Legacy
Escapist +
Sep 2, 2009
San Francisco Peninsula
Country
USA
madwarper said:
You literally have ONE piece of content to put up. If you can't figure out how to do that, there's no hope for this site.
Those of us who work with computers for, like, a living know that, even over a dedicated gigabit link,
Code:
rsync
ing 13 years of content and metadata over to a new server is going to take non-trivial time. It is also reasonable to assume they're setting up a new, modern CMS, and customizing/integrating it with whatever their new business model is going to be.

And it's not like Yahtzee hasn't taken a week off before without prior announcement. Yeah, I miss his stuff. But I also want the man to enjoy his life. I could easily see Russ phoning up Yahtzee and saying, "Hey, we're basically blowing up the server; would you like to skip a week? Go take your wife out to Trou Normand or something..."

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Wow I haven't seen this name for a while, feeling nostalgic haha. Now we just need to get Jim and moviebob back and we're set.

And while games are about what's new, the true significant games are timeless. Even if we don't still play them themselves, they ceaselessly keep affecting what the new games will be. Stuff like chrono trigger never really died.

ochimusha

Ghost of GameTrailers
Legacy
May 20, 2009
Country
USA
I've been a long time visitor of the escapist, and I have to say this is the brightest bit of news this website has seen in quite a few years.

I was always a fan of the highly curated magazine format, and I definitely look forward to potentially seeing it return.

Here's to new and renewed beginnings.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Dreiko said:
Wow I haven't seen this name for a while, feeling nostalgic haha. Now we just need to get Jim and moviebob back and we're set.

And while games are about what's new, the true significant games are timeless. Even if we don't still play them themselves, they ceaselessly keep affecting what the new games will be. Stuff like chrono trigger never really died.
Bob is coming back, Jim said no though.

He's at a point right now where he'd rather stay independent.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
Good to have you back, Russ. Really, good to have ANYONE back. This place devolved into a shitshow for a while there. Fingers crossed.

drivel

Aug 1, 2008
Been a member since ~2008. Loved the site for the games journalism. Left when all the content creators (LRR, Moviebob, Jim Sterling, etc.) left and the site mostly consisted of cosplay convention photos and hack writing. Hope things go well under the new ownership. Good to have Russ back.

Dosbilliam

Feb 18, 2011
Country
US
Zeraki said:
Dreiko said:

Bob is coming back, Jim said no though.

He's at a point right now where he'd rather stay independent.
It's not surprising. Half the appeal being indie has for him is not being tied to any publisher or beholden to their opinion of him, and if he got say, EA particularly riled up, that could cause blowback here if he's associated with the site outside of all the old videos. It really works better for everyone that way. :D