Editor's Note: Fiction

Nerdfury

I Can Afford Ten Whole Bucks!
Feb 2, 2008
It looks a little too cluttered for my tastes. I know you want to get all the information up-front so anyone passing by might happen to say "Ooh!" and click something, but most pages have way too much information on them. I don't really need to see that ZP and UR is here on 90% of the pages. On one page, I saw links to the latest video/to the same video series four times!

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
Whoa! I didn't expect a change this big!

Definitely going to take some time to get acquainted with the new layout, but the new site really is in your face in a "We've got tons of content!" way.

I like it.

LowFatLoki

Dec 25, 2008
I love it. I like that now when I'm at the bottom of the page, I can easily click a new thread to go look at. Instead of having to scroll all the way to the top of the page. It also just has an overall feel of professionalism, think thats word I'm looking for.

josh797

Nov 20, 2007
looks fantastic guys! great job. holy crap its user freindly too! heart felt WELL Done to the staff and code monkeys!

TOGSolid

Jul 15, 2008
Honestly, the site looks like a muddled mess now. Bring back how it used to look ASAP please!

kato128

Mar 23, 2009
Nice change, I like the video links down the side and everything is a lot clearer and nicer, except for the centre articles.

It kinda looks like you ran out of room for those or were in a hurry and just shlacked em in. I reckon it'd be clearer if you had the big picture items (ie the tour, and escapist show) next to each other at the top of their section rather than one under the other, then the smaller picture items and then to the articles with no picture. This would mean the consistency is maintained over the whole page and all the most interesting stuff is accessible.

All in all pretty good and much easier to use than the old setup.

Geamo

Aug 27, 2008
I do like the new design...especially the quick links on the right hand side and the tabs on the top; the community section is great.

One thing I have a slight problem with is thinking that the homepage's articles could do with some sort of border between them- that's just my inner OCD talking.

Overall though, it's good for change. I especially like the quick links below the comment box; ace!

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
The Rogue Wolf said:
Honestly... I can't say I like it. There's absolutely no delineation in between articles, no way to tell at a glance what picture goes with which blurb... borders in between the different sections would be a wonderful thing, in my view.

I understand you folks have a lot of content to put up, and not many people do that whole "scrolling down the page" thing, but when I have to literally puzzle out where one blurb ends and another begins, I have to score it as a step backwards in usability.

[/CrotchetyOldManMode]

P.S. I'm STILL having problems with pages not loading completely. Any idea when that might be sorted out?
Pretty much this, I'm sure I'll grow used to it, but right now it's causing alot of eye strain for me. I understand the importance of being dynamic, but some borders to differentiate the section would help break up the "wall-of-text" feeling.

StarStruckStrumpets

Jan 17, 2009
I must say, I really preferred the old layout. It's not so much the new shiny-shiny design that is the problem, it's just...I liked the profile button where it was. Now I have huge banners there, and the profile/logout buttons are tiny thing at the top of the screen.

Not so keen...

-SSS.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
The neat little thing about the design is actually all the stuff you will never see on the backend. The whole front page is actually built on a grid that we can dynamically shuffle around as needed. I think you'll probably see a lot of experimenting over the next few weeks as we look to test what works :)

uupa99

Mar 29, 2009
Damn. I was so use to the old way. Now I can't seem to navigate around at all and I'm too lazy (must like everyone else) to look at a tour.

:C

TOGSolid

Jul 15, 2008
vivaldiscool said:
The Rogue Wolf said:
Honestly... I can't say I like it. There's absolutely no delineation in between articles, no way to tell at a glance what picture goes with which blurb... borders in between the different sections would be a wonderful thing, in my view.

I understand you folks have a lot of content to put up, and not many people do that whole "scrolling down the page" thing, but when I have to literally puzzle out where one blurb ends and another begins, I have to score it as a step backwards in usability.

[/CrotchetyOldManMode]

P.S. I'm STILL having problems with pages not loading completely. Any idea when that might be sorted out?
Pretty much this, I'm sure I'll grow used to it, but right now it's causing alot of eye strain for me. I understand the importance of being dynamic, but some borders to differentiate the section would help break up the "wall-of-text" feeling.
Yeah, agreed. The page desperately needs to be split up in someway with borders of some sort.

Chaos Marine

Feb 6, 2008
It looks horribly cluttered to be honest. Every seems scrunched up. And for someone who is viewing the site at 1920 x 1200 that's saying a lot. Scrolling through the older news entries take far longer than it used to do which was what I mainly enjoyed about the older Escapist as you could read through all the headlines in one or two pages and select the ones you want to read, now you have to go through a half dozen entries to see if anything interesting happened since the last time you checked it.

To be frankly honest, the older view was better.

Dyskresiac

Nov 30, 2007
So turning it from an organized professional news-like page into a cluttered myspace collage was an improvement how?

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
I don't know whether this is because of growing pains for the new site or not, but one problem I'm having is that I can't watch videos any more. They work fine on other sites, and as far as I know all my software is up to date, but none of the videos come up any more.