Editor's Note: I, Robot

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
I, Robot

This week, we look at robots that exist, robots that don?t exist and robots that we've always wanted to exist.

Read Full Article

Museli

Nin!
Aug 12, 2009
"Is it because they look really flippin' cool when you put buzzsaws and hammers on them and make them fight in a cage?"

Yes, yes it is. Robot Wars was awesome, escpecially watching the bots evolve from 'wedge on wheels' in series one to the inventive bots of later years, combining form and function into one deliciously geeky package.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Not to mention R2D2 is the greatest damn hero in the Star Wars universe. But noooo Jedi's get all the credit. SHENANIGANS!!

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Fenixius said:
13 Gundams, hey? List them, Funk! What Gundams do you build?
Lessee.

SD Nu Gundam (Char's Counterattack)
SD ZZ Gundam (Double Zeta Gundam)
1/144 Tieren Space Type Commander Custom (Gundam 00)
1/144 Throne Drei (Gundam 00)
1/144 RX-78-2 Gundam, 30th Anniversary Version (Mobile Suit Gundam)
1/144 Zaku I (Mobile Suit Gundam)
1/144 Kampfer (Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket)
1/144 Astray Red Frame (Gundam SEED Astray)
1/144 Blu Duel (Gundam SEED Stargazer)
1/100 Tallgeese III (Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz)
1/100 Dynames (Gundam 00)
1/100 Freedom Gundam MG version (Gundam SEED)
1/100 Strike Noir MG version (Gundam SEED Stargazer)

I'm stuck on building my 1/100 Nu MG, and haven't yet started my 1/60 Exia yet.

Fenixius

Feb 5, 2007
CantFaketheFunk said:
Fenixius said:
13 Gundams, hey? List them, Funk! What Gundams do you build?
Lessee.

SD Nu Gundam (Char's Counterattack)
SD ZZ Gundam (Double Zeta Gundam)
1/144 Tieren Space Type Commander Custom (Gundam 00)
1/144 Throne Drei (Gundam 00)
1/144 RX-78-2 Gundam, 30th Anniversary Version (Mobile Suit Gundam)
1/144 Zaku I (Mobile Suit Gundam)
1/144 Kampfer (Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket)
1/144 Astray Red Frame (Gundam SEED Astray)
1/144 Blu Duel (Gundam SEED Stargazer)
1/100 Tallgeese III (Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz)
1/100 Dynames (Gundam 00)
1/100 Freedom Gundam MG version (Gundam SEED)
1/100 Strike Noir MG version (Gundam SEED Stargazer)

I'm stuck on building my 1/100 Nu MG, and haven't yet started my 1/60 Exia yet.
Oh niiiiiice. That 1/100 Strike Noir must be very pretty. So must the 1/100 Strike Freedom.

But I've got to ask: how do the 1/144 models compare to the larger ones? I've only ever built one 1/100 and a couple of tiny SD Romance of the Three Kingdom Gundams, which were awesome fun to build, and were cheap as to pick up. The reason I ask, though, is that I'm in love with Throne Zwei, and it's -only- available in 1/144. Even just in terms of height, how does the grade compare to the, say, 1/100 Dynames? Would it look wimpy and diminuitive next to a 1/100?

Oh, and the Tieren was just such an awesome mecha. I don't actually know if I should call it that... it really looks like a much more Western, almost Battletech-style machine that's been smashed together with a Zaku. It's the most plausible unit of the whole series, I reckon, except that you'd be very very hard pressed to get enough thrust to lift one off the ground.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Fenixius said:
Oh niiiiiice. That 1/100 Strike Noir must be very pretty. So must the 1/100 Strike Freedom.

But I've got to ask: how do the 1/144 models compare to the larger ones? I've only ever built one 1/100 and a couple of tiny SD Romance of the Three Kingdom Gundams, which were awesome fun to build, and were cheap as to pick up. The reason I ask, though, is that I'm in love with Throne Zwei, and it's -only- available in 1/144. Even just in terms of height, how does the grade compare to the, say, 1/100 Dynames? Would it look wimpy and diminuitive next to a 1/100?

Oh, and the Tieren was just such an awesome mecha. I don't actually know if I should call it that... it really looks like a much more Western, almost Battletech-style machine that's been smashed together with a Zaku. It's the most plausible unit of the whole series, I reckon, except that you'd be very very hard pressed to get enough thrust to lift one off the ground.
That's no Strike Freedom, boy! No Strike Freedom!

I like the 1/144's myself. It really depends on what kit you're doing - the Zaku I looks kind of lame, but the Astray, Blu Duel, RX-78 and Tieren all look really nice (though the Tieren is too back-heavy to stand on its own). They're kind of like little snacks, in a way: You can put them together in a few hours, they're cheap, and they don't take up a lot of room.

I love the Tieren. It's kind of like the Mobile Suit equivalent of the A-10 Warthog. It ain't pretty, but damned if it doesn't get the job done.

MissAshley

Jul 20, 2009
While I've never been much of a "robot person," individual robots over time have won my heart. The aforementioned R2-D2 (sorry, I can handle only so much of the golden robo-minstrel), Short Circuit's Number "Johnny" Five, Chonotrigger's Robo, and even though I've still never seen it, WALL-e.

I suppose it's those robots with an incredible amount of humanity that I dig. Considering I've always been drawn to contrasting elements in unison, I suppose it makes sense the juxtaposition of soul and steel would appeal to me.