Editor's Note: The Fiction Issue

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
The Fiction Issue

It may be tempting to wonder why The Escapist, the bastion of high-brow cultural commentary on games and media culture, would bother with fiction. ... Why waste our (and your) time with pulp and fantasy stories? Why indeed?

Read Full Article

Melaisis

Dec 9, 2007
Russ! Four paragraphs from the end you make a BBcode error! Le gasp!

Also: Who's providing the wonderful image for this week's issue? The man in the box isn't the photographer trying to fit into The Escapist's office, is it? :p

Anyway, good work. The reason why I stuck by The Escapist is for originality, and a whole issue dedicated to fiction works? That is original.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Great, now you'll need to set up a new subforum for original fiction just to stop the users' spamming the comments thread with their own magnum opi. o_0

Just kidding. This was a very interesting idea. It's not something I expected, and you guys thrive on doing what people don't expect.

mshcherbatskaya

Feb 1, 2008
Sylocat said:
Great, now you'll need to set up a new subforum for original fiction just to stop the users' spamming the comments thread with their own magnum opi. o_0
Just the thought that they would ever open the floodgates to the inevitable radioactive tide of fan fiction...

*shivers*

I mean, I won't lie, I do my fair share of fangirling, but not here. Please, not here. It would be like creating a subforum dedicated to the speaking of l337.

CanadianWolverine

Feb 1, 2008
Just wanted to say a sincere "Thank you" for this issue. I love fiction and games are some of the best vehicles of fiction, especially the ones that let me take control of the story, but not necessarily the consequences of my characters actions, godmode cheat codes get so boring after a while :p

Ever have someone tell you what I like to call "Wow factor" stories of their experience playing a game? I love those, I think that's what all games should stride for, to become tales of suspense, intrigue, drama, action ... ad infinitum the reaches of the imagination and its relation to the human condition.

Andraste

Nov 21, 2004
mshcherbatskaya said:
It would be like creating a subforum dedicated to the speaking of l337.
Brilliant notion. This one has upper management written all over her.

Sorry, can't keep a straight face. *giggle*

Feb 13, 2008
Russ Pitts said:
It may be tempting to wonder why The Escapist, the bastion of high-brow cultural commentary on games and media culture, would bother with fiction. ... Why waste our (and your) time with pulp and fantasy stories? Why indeed?
This is a very untidy tagline. Why is fact more high-brow than fiction (as is implied)? Arthur C. Clarke would be orbiting in his grave.

Deatre

Dec 5, 2007
Reminds me of the Science of Discworld 2, which explores the power of story and the concept of extelligence (Among a myriad of other things)

Edutainment!

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Russ Pitts said:
This is a very untidy tagline. Why is fact more high-brow than fiction (as is implied)? Arthur C. Clarke would be orbiting in his grave.
The idea was it might inspire you to read the rest of the article (wherein I discount that notion) then post your thoughts in the forums.

Lightbulb

Oct 28, 2007
Russ Pitts said:
The idea was it might inspire you to read the rest of the article (wherein I discount that notion) then post your thoughts in the forums.
But this is the internet. It doesn't work like that...

Feb 13, 2008
Russ Pitts said:
Oh I read the article, I just thought that writer/reader baiting was a little bad form. :)