Editor's Note: The Front

Archon

Nov 12, 2002
The Front

This week, The Escapist looks at the first, and most important, genre of gaming ever invented: wargames.

Read Full Article

dandahammer

Partaker of adult beverages
Jun 2, 2009
My intro to wargames was renting Red Alert On the Psx. Then when finished, I asked for a simular game to it, and was recommended Civ 2 on Psx (which wasn't what I was looking for, but still loved). Not long after, I discoverd my local College had Starcraft spawned on the 3rd floor computer lab. Oh the lost hours... and the dates I blew off for Dragon Force marathons on the Saturn.

Archon

Nov 12, 2002
That was definitely my thought -- many wargame rulebooks, particularly the original generation AH/SPI rules, make even civil procedure statutes look simple.

"Rule 15.3: Disappearing Fire. When troops moving during phase 4(a)(i) are within Spotting Distance (as defined by 8.2)..."

TheSeventhLoneWolf

Mar 1, 2009
Cheeze_Pavilion said:
Now *this* is what I call an issue! An unapologetic ("the first, and most important, genre of gaming ever invented") celebration of the wargame: fantastic.
I would agree there, I find wargames to be extremely immersive. Even Medal Of Honor: Underground kept my attention all the way the the end. (And after, where you fight dancing dogs.) I like my WW2 games since i've studied it and i try to find as much as i can to relate to it.