Educate a noob on Skyrim.

enzilewulf

Jun 19, 2009
So I have never played a Elder scrolls game. Yes you heard correctly. No I am not a alien, I swear. Any who, can some one explain what Skyrim is all about? It looks interesting but im kinda strapped for cash at the moment. Yet after Dark souls I am gonna need a new game and I still want to play something a long the lines of Dark souls (not as hard of coarse). Skyrim looks like it will be a nice game to take on next. Can any one really tell me more about the game?

Eventidal

Nov 11, 2009
Is it so hard to Google this kind of thing? I have seen this question, worded almost exactly the same way, many times before.

What is Skyrim? It's a completely free, open fantasy world to explore. You can do anything in it. Go combing ancient ruins for hidden treasures? Dive into random caves you see along the way to your destination? Talk to strangers and do some quests? Go foraging for plant materials? Go out hunting? Start on a killing rampage? Steal every fork you find and dump them all in the house of a random asshole you hate? Read every random book you see lying around on bookshelves and elsewhere?
All viable ways to play. You can do just about anything that would make sense within the context of the world, and you're free to go about it your own way, with no moral "good or evil" system to guide you or hold you back. You can follow the main storyline or take part in the usually equally-interesting, well-constructed plotlines for the various guilds out there. Or you can go off and do whatever you want. There's a hell of a fantasy sandbox to play around in, and it's a huge game world with little to hold you back. Plus, the first-person combat is pretty unique. It's hard to find anything quite like an Elder Scrolls game out there.

Give it a shot. You may love it.

y04coopa

Apr 25, 2011
Just to add to what Eventidal has said, the combat has a large variety of how you can approach it. There are all sorts of combinations of weaponry you can use with the new dual wielding weapons, Axes, swords, mace, hammers (both single handed and two), shields, Bows, daggers, staffs. And there's the magic. There are many types of magic "schools" destruction, conjuration, illusion, alteration to name a few. These each contain different sorts of spells. Destruction as you can probably guess is your fire balls and your lighting blasts, Conjuration summons creatures to aid you, Alteration can unlock locks, create shields, water breathing etc... Now all of the spells and weapons can be equipped in ether hand and use in conjunction with one another. So 2 fire balls make a big fire ball or a lighting spell and a frost spell create a electrified ice ball... alright not a great example but you get my point.

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
The elder scrolls series is a solid RPG series. Skyrim is going to be about the same thing as the rest of the series, creating a character and just doing what you want in a large open environment. It will have a vast abundance of quests, a load of different dungeons, several cities and dozens of smaller towns. Oh and Dragons... UNLIMITED DRAGONS!

I recommend checking the whole series out. In order of release (Though the games barely even reference previous titles) it goes Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, then Skyrim. Arena and Daggerfall are now open source downloads off the elder scrolls website or at least they were last I checked. They are both incredibly dated but can be fun if you get into them.
You can get both Morrowind and Oblivion pretty cheap off of Steam with all of their expansions. Morrowind is more statistics based and can be a bit clunky at times but in my opinion it is the more immersive of the two despite it's graphics being a bit old. Obivion is the one that is easier to just pick up and play, it flows pretty well and while it statistics play into the combat it is not a deal breaker.

CulixCupric

Oct 20, 2011
Cpu46 said:
The elder scrolls series is a solid RPG series. Skyrim is going to be about the same thing as the rest of the series, creating a character and just doing what you want in a large open environment. It will have a vast abundance of quests, a load of different dungeons, several cities and dozens of smaller towns. Oh and Dragons... UNLIMITED DRAGONS!
and unlimited DRAGONS is OVER 9000!!!

PacDwell

May 16, 2009
Eventidal said:
You can do anything in it.
- Yet there's nothing to do.
Eventidal said:
Go combing ancient ruins for hidden treasures?
- Except the treasures aren't worth finding.
Eventidal said:
Dive into random caves you see along the way to your destination?
- About as interesting as diving into a real cave.
Eventidal said:
Talk to strangers and do some quests?
- Except the strangers are void and without character, and the quests are void and without purpose.
Eventidal said:
Go foraging for plant materials?
- About as interesting as foraging real plant materials.
Eventidal said:
Go out hunting?
- Except there's no real need to eat.
Eventidal said:
Start on a killing rampage?
- Which is without purpose.
Eventidal said:
Steal every fork you find and dump them all in the house of a random asshole you hate?
- Who won't care a jot.
Eventidal said:
Read every random book you see lying around on bookshelves and elsewhere?
- Of which none are really that interesting.
Eventidal said:
All viable ways to play.
- All viable ways to be bored.

Ah...the world of Skyrim, like the world of Oblivion before it - 'Do anything in a world where nothing is worth doing'.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
enzilewulf said:
So I have never played a Elder scrolls game. Yes you heard correctly. No I am not a alien, I swear. Any who, can some one explain what Skyrim is all about? It looks interesting but im kinda strapped for cash at the moment. Yet after Dark souls I am gonna need a new game and I still want to play something a long the lines of Dark souls (not as hard of coarse). Skyrim looks like it will be a nice game to take on next. Can any one really tell me more about the game?
You could always play Daggerfall. It's available for free and is quite easy to get to run using DosBox.

ranyilliams

Dec 26, 2008
PacDwell said:
Eventidal said:
Eventidal said:
Eventidal said:
Eventidal said:
- Except the strangers are void and without character, and the quests are void and without purpose.
Eventidal said:
Eventidal said:
Go out hunting?
Eventidal said:
Eventidal said:
Steal every fork you find and dump them all in the house of a random asshole you hate?
- Who won't care a jot.
Eventidal said:
Eventidal said:
All viable ways to play.

Ah...the world of Skyrim, like the world of Oblivion before it - 'Do anything in a world where nothing is worth doing'.
By your criteria it seems like no game on earth is worth playing. Nothing is ever REALLY accomplished by playing a video game, But at least in skyrim i can fight dragons...

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
Listen. This is probably the most important thing.
You can kill and summon dragons.

You can Kill and Summon Dragons.

You can KILL and SUMMON DRAGONS.

DRAGONS!!!

Knight Captain Kerr

May 27, 2011
Play a Breton warrior/mage.

<--- What is that arrow pointing at? I'm sure it is nothing that will make this comment seem biased.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
ranyilliams said:
By your criteria it seems like no game on earth is worth playing. Nothing is ever REALLY accomplished by playing a video game, But at least in skyrim i can fight dragons...
No, he's just saying that no sandbox is worth playing. Of which I agree.

A world in which there is total freedom has none. However, I will be getting a copy of Skyrim in five and a half hours regardless. Hopefully it will be able to change my mind about sandboxes.

Eventidal

Nov 11, 2009
PacDwell said:
Eventidal said:
Eventidal said:
Eventidal said:
Eventidal said:
Eventidal said:
Eventidal said:
Go out hunting?
Eventidal said:
Eventidal said:
- Who won't care a jot.
Eventidal said:
Eventidal said:
All viable ways to play.

Well, fine. Call me when you hit 10th prestige for the third time in a CoD game and let me know how fulfilling it was.

I'll have you know, most games I love don't have any reason to play them other than to enjoy what's there. What is boring to you may not be to some. Judging by this series' popularity, your opinion is in the minority. Don't go pushing it upon people like it's fact.

PacDwell

May 16, 2009
Sorry to have to link to an external site - but this article regarding sandbox games is well worth reading:

http://warp.povusers.org/grrr/sandbox_games.html

PacDwell

May 16, 2009
PacDwell said:
SNIP

See, I told you so.